Heaven is Real by Don Piper

Kate

heaven-is-real.jpg

Synopsis

The author draws on his own near-death experience to describe the reality of heaven and to explain how it is possible, by relying on God's love, to transform life challenges into blessings.

This is the follow up to the book: 90 Minutes in Heaven. Don Piper was killed in a car accident; an 18-wheel truck crushed the car he was in. He was pronounced dead at the scene - and the meds said he was dead for 90 minutes. He tells of how he went to heaven - well the gates, where he met his dead loved ones. He is adamant it was not a near-death experience - there was no white light; he says he instantly went to the gates of heaven.

This book talks of how to appreciate life on earth, but looking forward to heaven. There is the Gospel message in the book, and he teaches how to live in God's grace, through suffering. The stories he use are extreme - of people who have attempted suicide, or people who have lost loved ones through illness, accidents or drugs. They are powerful stories, and it is moving to see how they have overcome their situation, worked through the pain and adjusted to the "new normal".

Although the book is full of these stories, I did find myself getting annoyed with Piper. Firstly, he did not seem to grasp the idea of depression that occurs when nothing has happened - the chemical imbalance that causes the depression. He seemed to imply that it was our own fault, how we aren't walking with God correctly, and that bugged me. Secondly, a lot of the book was about how his previous book and experience has helped other. He makes sure he states he is not boasting, but it does come across like that. And thirdly, he claims to be like Saint Paul. Now this really bugs me, because if he was, he would not state it.

Overall, this is a book with helpful stories for people who have suffered and are Christians who know they are going to heaven, however I missed a lot of the teaching because the way he wrote annoyed me.

5/10

• 4 weeks later...

I read a book like that before. It is called Heaven is so Real by Choo Thomas.

cover_en.jpg

In here, the author talks about how she visited heaven's many times and saw hell twice. It's an interesting book. But I'm not really into it since I'm not that religious so I stopped reading it after a while :lol: