Reading Quirks!

I love all old books too, though unfortunately I can't afford any decent ones. There was a first edition Winnie The Pooh (not THAT old, but in very good condition, and one of my favourite books) on ebay, but I couldn't afford it ;) It was nice even to see it though. All the original sketches that have been reprinted so many times over the years.

I'm lucky. My family has been collecting them for ages, and a huge part of them was bought "contemporary". It blows my mind to think about that. We usually also have a "modern" edition of the book, modern here meaning anything printed later than early 70's, for reading. The oldest ones are for show. *laughs* But to DD's defence, he's read a huge part of them, so they're not just props. And the same goes for maman's family, so I'm getting them from two sides.

Oh, and an additional thought to how I arrange my books. In addition to arranging them by color and by size, I also have to have them at the front of the self. I hate it when books are pushed to the back with empty shelf showing.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and an additional thought to how I arrange my books. In addition to arranging them by color and by size, I also have to have them at the front of the self. I hate it when books are pushed to the back with empty shelf showing.

I like the size and colour idea, I think I might give that a go. With only 35 books in college with me, it's not like they're going to go missing! ;)

I find it really calming, like I said earlier. I've also arranged my DVDs by color. And my clothes too, actually. It's just easier for the eye.

I arrange mine alphabetically ;) If something is in the wrong order it makes me uneasy. I arrange books alaphabetically in order of author.

I can't leave books in the middle of a chapter either, no matter how long :)

Like other have mentioned, I look at the number of pages in the book so I can better chart my progress as I read.

I also don't like to break spines.

Like ii, I keep all my books at the front of the bookshelf. They have to be lined up exactly with the edge of the bookshelf. I don't like any space showing.

I also don't like people on public transport seeing what I'm reading. I always try to hide the cover by putting my hand over it or standing/sitting in such a way that it can't be seen. I'm not sure why...I just don't want people to know what I'm reading!

I also don't like people on public transport seeing what I'm reading. I always try to hide the cover by putting my hand over it or standing/sitting in such a way that it can't be seen. I'm not sure why...I just don't want people to know what I'm reading!

It's a lost battle. People draw conclusions of you if you read in public. If it's something light, they think you're not very smart. And if it's something heavier, they think you're just showing off and really hiding a comic inside the "smart" book.

It's a lost battle. People draw conclusions of you if you read in public. If it's something light, they think you're not very smart. And if it's something heavier, they think you're just showing off and really hiding a comic inside the "smart" book.

You're right, ii. I think it's for those reasons that I don't like people seeing.

I don

I thought everybody did this!! :lol:

ii's right .. Can't assume anything .. I actually turn my page from the middle of the page -- not the upper right corner! :lol: Isn't it strange how we all do all of these things differently with the same books?

I don’t mind people knowing what I am reading , I’m not on the train too often but when I am I do read on it and on a number of occasions women have used what I was reading to start a conversation with me :lol:

I've never been bothered about this - I even openly read The Sexual Life of Catherine M by Catherine Millet and Girl with a One Track Mind by Abby Lee at work during my lunch hour! :lol:

To get to Uni I take the sub and I always read on the way. It doesn't bother me if people see what I read but I do get annoyed when they actually try and read with me and I'll see them adjusting and pushing in me to get a better view of the page...that always has bothered me.

To get to Uni I take the sub and I always read on the way. It doesn't bother me if people see what I read but I do get annoyed when they actually try and read with me and I'll see them adjusting and pushing in me to get a better view of the page...that always has bothered me.

Oh goodness! This has never happened to me and I'd be really baffled if it did! What in the world???? How nosy can people be?? :lol:

Oh goodness! This has never happened to me and I'd be really baffled if it did! What in the world???? How nosy can people be?? :lol:

It's only happened a couple of times but I found it terribly annoying :lol: Plus, if you're so interested to read during the journey...get your own book!

Wow, I would not be able to cope with that, someone trying to read over my shoulder would be the ultimate the annoyance. I agree with what Anisa said; if you feel the need to read on the tube, then get your own book!

I've never been bothered about this - I even openly read The Sexual Life of Catherine M by Catherine Millet and Girl with a One Track Mind by Abby Lee at work during my lunch hour! :lol:

This one is sitting on my TBR shelf http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doing-Melvin-Burgess/dp/0141018038/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232365584&sr=8-1 I'm thinkg the cover art may get a few funny looks on the train :lol:

Edited by crotalus_p

8. No book must EVER be thrown out. If it is no longer needed, a new home must be found for it either by selling, swapping or donating it to charity.

I agree, but go further: No book must ever be thrown out, swapped, or donated to charity.

In his prologue to Edward Gibbon, Borges cites "Pliny's tolerant maxim": "There is no book so bad it does not contain something good."

That is my experience.

And though it's not strictly related to reading, inveterate book-hoarding is one of my quirks. I really, really hate lending.

Edited by Ben Mines