Reading Quirks!

If I bought the book at a bookstore (instead of from Amazon) I always try to remove the price sticker. I always place my books on the bookshelf by order of size, author, and publishing date, if it's a series, or in order of how much I liked them. I don't stack big books on top of smaller books (I'm shocked at how prevalent this particular quirk is!) and I never fold down pages. I don't mind creased spines, though. :D

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to take the price label and/or "3 for 2" (or any other type) of sticker off the cover of a book, and if the glue sticks to the cover, I will have to get something to wash it off before I can start to read it.

I have a thing about that as well, and if it ruins any of the cover I get so annoyed! :D

This drives me mad, I hate stickers on anything full stop, why do they do it!? :lol:

I have to take the price label and/or "3 for 2" (or any other type) of sticker off the cover of a book, and if the glue sticks to the cover, I will have to get something to wash it off before I can start to read it.

Oh yes, that's an absolute must! :D

1. I try not to break the spines on books (unless it's absolutely unavoidable, as in very thick paperbacks, all my books pretty much look unread till they've been read 4 or 5 times!)

2. I have to leave those stickers ON (unless they're those special easy-peal ones) because even once al traces of the sticker are gone, the cover is usually damaged by all the scratching to get it off - I'd rather the sticker than the mess!

3. If I'm collecting a series of books, they all have to be the same set of covers (eg Harry Potter adult covers).

4. All the books inone series must be the same format. If I've started collecting in paperback and then later ones are hardback, I must go back and replace the paperbacks with hardbacks appropriately.

5. All books in a series must be shelved in publication/chronological order, rather than alphabetically.

6. The corners of pages NEVER get turned down - I MUST use a bookmark or a post-it sticky tab to mark my place without damaging the book.

7. Books must NEVER be placed open and face-down on any surface - that's just cruel!

8. No book must EVER be thrown out. If it is no longer needed, a new home must be found for it either by selling, swapping or donating it to charity.

I hate those stickers too.

Nellie's Household Tip Of The Day #1:

If you get a nasty sticky residue on the cover a little squirt of a cleaner like Mr Sheen and a gentle polish with a duster will get rid of it easily.

Edited by Nellie

I always have to lay books with the front cover facing up... I can't stand to look at a book in my own or office and see the back of the book facing up. That's about my only quirk though, I think. :D Although I AM fond of how some certain books feel -- I don't love the super glossy finishes; I tend to go for the covers that have just a tiny bit of grain running through them. Feels so nice!!

Chapter 13,I hate leaving a book on chapter 13, I have to read the whole chapter in a oner and usually chapter 14 too as this would leave me on 13 and a bit if I did'nt get through it.

You superstitious?

This is so interesting! It made me think about the effect reading has on me. The act of geting my book and settling down and opening it up is very calming for me, and I wondered if others felt the same. It's almost ritualistic. My Hubby says it's like my version of the Tea Ceremony. The act of preparing to read is as important as the act of reading itself.

Perhaps I am just odd... :D

Not just you, Nelly - I'm exactly the same. It involves getting a cuppa, getting into just the right comfy position, and settling down to read. Of course, I'm lucky these days to get more than 5 minutes at any given time. :D

PS I love the quote in your sig!

1. I try not to break the spines on books (unless it's absolutely unavoidable, as in very thick paperbacks, all my books pretty much look unread till they've been read 4 or 5 times!)

3. If I'm collecting a series of books, they all have to be the same set of covers (eg Harry Potter adult covers).

5. All books in a series must be shelved in publication/chronological order, rather than alphabetically.

6. The corners of pages NEVER get turned down - I MUST use a bookmark or a post-it sticky tab to mark my place without damaging the book.

7. Books must NEVER be placed open and face-down on any surface - that's just cruel!

8. No book must EVER be thrown out. If it is no longer needed, a new home must be found for it either by selling, swapping or donating it to charity.

I do all of these!

I do have to take the stickers off before reading.

I can't have the bookmark poking out the bottom of the book, it just looks wrong!

I never buy second hand books. I'll only read them if I get given them.

I take the jackets off hardbacks before reading them.

I can't read on the beach. Or outside very well at all really.

Ok, wow. So I have quite a few :D. I think there could be more but I can't think of any right now.

What an interesting thread...

I'm clearly the odd one out, as I want my paperbacks to show a few creases in the spine, a small amount of wear. Well, the ones I'm keeping, anyways. For me those marks say "This book has been read and reread. This book was enjoyed and loved." I never break the spine of a hardback, though.

I order my shelves by color, then by size. It's calming. And if I happen to forget the place of a certain book, the hunt is just an additional fun. At the Estate the books are ordered by author but as they're mainly older editions and look similar enough, it's quite okay. I would prefer them by size within a letter, like all A's by size, then all B's...

I always check the original title of a translated book before I start to read a new book. Even if the language is something I don't speak.

I prefer to keep the dust jackets on.

If there's a face on the cover, I never hold the book so that my fingers are on the face.

I always turn the page from the upper corner, with my right hand.

I'm clearly the odd one out, as I want my paperbacks to show a few creases in the spine, a small amount of wear. Well, the ones I'm keeping, anyways. For me those marks say "This book has been read and reread. This book was enjoyed and loved." I never break the spine of a hardback, though.

I'm with you there - I like them to look loved!

I always turn the page from the upper corner, with my right hand.

I thought everybody did this!! ;)

I can't agree on the spine thing though. I'd rather a slightly creased back cover, or slightly creased pages. Front cover and spine need to be GOOD! Unless they're second hand.

I like old second hand books, theres a lovely 'vintage' feel to them :)

I thought everybody did this!! ;)

Well, according to this thread, nothing can be assumed. And I mean really literally every time. If I'm eating or drinking something while reading, I put down what I'm holding and turn the page, then pick up my coffee again.

I like old second hand books, theres a lovely 'vintage' feel to them :)

I love old books. Period. I love the old leather-cover ones, and I have some old books from Old Dragon's brother who passed away few years ago that are almost like cardboard. (War-time in Finland, they didn't make 'fancy' books) They're so incredible! Thick slightly uneven pages, all gone brownish with time, wide margins... You can feel the sadness of the times, how people were lacking basic things, and yet managed to get books printed, because they loved the stories so much. They're incredible. The ones at DD's and at the Estate as well as maman's old books don't have that almost desperation in them. But there's some really amazing ones among them, and I just love flipping through the old editions, feeling and smelling them.

And I mean really literally every time. If I'm eating or drinking something while reading, I put down what I'm holding and turn the page, then pick up my coffee again.

Same as. Or if I'm eating something while eating - doesn't happen often but if I'm in a hurry and I want to get some reading done. *food* *tea* *page* *food*, yada.

I love old books. Period. I love the old leather-cover ones

I love all old books too, though unfortunately I can't afford any decent ones. There was a first edition Winnie The Pooh (not THAT old, but in very good condition, and one of my favourite books) on ebay, but I couldn't afford it ;) It was nice even to see it though. All the original sketches that have been reprinted so many times over the years.