Nellie's Reading List

Nellie

16. Twilight - Stephanie Meyers (I have been a bit slow on picking up in this!)
I have the first three in this series on my TBR list too - I hope we'll both enjoy them!

Books read since September 2009

Blimey, that's clever! :)

Joking aside, you have some interesting books on your list. I'd be especially interested to know what you think of The Forsyte Saga as I've been thinking of trying this myself. :lol: I loved the ITV adaptation a few years ago where the lovely Damian Lewis played Soames and Gina McKee played Irene.

Blimey, that's clever! :lol:

Joking aside, you have some interesting books on your list. I'd be especially interested to know what you think of The Forsyte Saga as I've been thinking of trying this myself. :lol: I loved the ITV adaptation a few years ago where the lovely Damian Lewis played Soames and Gina McKee played Irene.

Oohps! Ha ha! Didn't I tell you I have a tardis? All fixed now.

I have to say that my Book Spa at Mr B's really opened up a lot of new authors to me, and so I read a much more varied selection of books now.

I didn't see the TV version, but I have heard alot about. I'll let you know how I get on! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have finished Notes On A Scandal and I loved it! The writing is very clever, from the start you sense that the relationship between the two women is very odd, although neither realise this. The air of menace and obession is very cleverly done.

I have finished Notes On A Scandal and I loved it! The writing is very clever, from the start you sense that the relationship between the two women is very odd, although neither realise this. The air of menace and obession is very cleverly done.

I really want to read this book. The film looked good so I thought I would start with the book.

• 2 weeks later...

I've also posted this over on the Twilight thread.

I finished Twilight last night, and I have to say I was rather disappointed. I nearly gave up in the middle, but carried on as so many people raved about it on here, so I hoped it would get better. I didn't think the characters were terribly well written, rather flat and stereotypical. I thought the plot was obvious, and the emotion poorly written. The only part that slightly intrigued me was:

the part about how Alice became a vampire

I am now wondering whether to plough on with the rest of the series or not. Is Twlight the best of the bunch? Do we learn anymore about Alice?

6/10

*ducks to avoid flying objects hurled by Twilight fans* ;)

I only have read Twilight and New Moon so far and I also wasn't very impressed. But I definitely liked New Moon more than Twilight :( I do have the rest in my TBR list but I am not into the series so much as to read them one after another :roll:

Hello! It freaked me out too. I was reading part of it on a train on my way to London. It was the bit where

he's being chased across the island by the Drs "creations"

As I was reading this passage I was getting very tense, and someone sat next to me and I jumped a mile! They must have thought I was insane!

Seriously though, it is very scary, tense and also made me think a little about where the boundries of science do and should lie. Excellent read. ;)

No, I haven't, does that have a similar theme?

Oryx and Crake is similar in that it examines scientific develepments in genetic engineering and xenotransplantation. It simultaneously addresses the collapse of civilisation. It is much less scary and indeed quite wry.

• 2 months later...

After a bit of a reading break, I have started again on my list.

I have read The Resistance By Gemma Malley. This is the sequal to The Declaration, which I enjoyed very much, but this was a little below par to be honest.

It sees Peter going to work for his evil grandfather at the plant where they make longevity, the drug which makes you immortal. He is working for The Resistance by trying to uncover what the drug company is up to.

The characters did not develop and the so called "twists" were so blindingly obvious you thought there must be a double bluff... but there wasn't. I will probably read the last in the series, just to make sure it all "works out OK in the end". :irked:

A less than average 6/10 for this one.

PopCo By Scarlett Thomas

I bought this book on a whim a few weeks ago, and I am so glad I did!

From Watersones Website:

Alice Butler has been receiving some odd messages - all anonymous, all written in code. Are they from someone at PopCo, the profit-hungry corporation she works for? Or from Alice's long lost father? Or has someone else been on her trail? The solution, she is sure, will involve the code-breaking skills she learned from her grandparents and the key she's been wearing round her neck since she was ten. "PopCo" is a grown-up adventure of family secrets, puzzles, big business and the power of numbers.

It was the code breaking element that attracted me to the book, and I wasn't disappointed. The narrative explains some concepts of cryptography in a very accessible way.

There are also some wonderful flash back passages as Alice recalls her childhood with her grandparents in the 1980s, and the scenes at school are hysterical. Anyone who was at school then will identify immediately with her worries and pressures from her peer group.

The story has a couple of main threads running through it, which are nicely resolved at the end. Its an easy read, which moves along at a good pace, and the code breaking information keeps it from being a more run of the mill story about a girl who finds her role in life.

8/10