Kell's 2009 Reading...

Kell

I have all of her books and plan to get all of the new ones this year too :roll: Kell technically there are two coming out for the WoTOW, there's the "men of the otherworld" short stories book being released in feb I believe aswell as the Frostbitten later in the year :(

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very true - I forgot about that one, but those stories were previously published online (I read and enjoyed them too!). I'll certainly be getting hold of it, especially as the profits will be going to charity, but I'm not so anxious to get it as I've already read it, whereas the others are completely new... :(:roll:

I'm taking a bit of time reading an amazing 3 books at once right now:

Koji Suzuki - Ring (OC - Japan)

Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell - The Immortals (The Edge Chronicles)

Elizabeth Pantley - The No Cry Sleep Solution

Not getting much reading time at the moment (only natural with a 4-m-o baby - LOL!), but I'm about 1/2 way through Ring (only reading in day time in small snatches as it's a chiller!), 1/4 way through The Immortals (which is VERY thick!) and 1/3 way through The No Cry Sleep Solution (as there are exercises to complete).

ringue0.th.jpg

Ring by Koji Suzuki

Synopsis:

Asakawa is a hardworking journalist who has climbed his way up from local-news beat reporter to writer for his newspaper's weekly magazine. A chronic workaholic, he doesn't take much notice when his seventeen-year-old niece dies suddenly - until a chance conversation reveals that another healthy teenager died at exactly the same time, in chillingly similar circumstances. Sensing a story, Asakawa begins to investigate, and soon discovers that this strange simultaneous sudden-death syndrome also affected another two teenagers. Exactly one week before their mysterious deaths the four teenagers all spent the night at a leisure resort in the same log cabin. When Asakawa visits the resort, the mystery only deepens. A comment made in the guest book by one of the teenagers leads him to a particular videotape. When he watches it, instead of a movie he finds an odd collection of disparate images with a portentous message at the end: Those who have viewed these images are fated to die at this exact hour one week from now. Asakawa finds himself in a race against time - he has only seven days to find the cause of the teenagers' deaths before it finds him. The hunt puts him on the trail of an apocalyptic power that will force Asakawa to choose between saving his family and saving civilization.

My thoughts:

Having already seen and enjoyed the Japanese film based on the book (and also seen and laughed derisively at the American re-make), I already knew the "secret" of Ring, but wanted to give the source material a try. I wasn't disappointed.

Suzuki's writing is terse without losing any of the required description for a good, all-round immersion in the action - his approach to writing seems to be to use exactly the right amount of words without prettying it up (at least, it comes over that way in the translation which seems rather good!). It's a chilling read, but you don't realise just how chilling until you’re a good way into it - it's a deliciously slow build-up of tension - and by then you're well and truly hooked.

The characters populating the plot are very believable and not all nice - they all have flaws (indeed, Ryuji comes across as being a bit of a pompous ass and occasionally a nasty piece of work), which adds to the whole feel and flow of things and is oddly endearing, even in the characters one comes to dislike!

Whether or not you've seen either version of the film, get hold of the book - it's a really good example of the Japanese horror genre that will have you sleeping with the lights on and refusing to borrow videos off your friends in future!

Rating: 7/10

Other titles by this author:

Sequels to Ring - Spiral; Loop; Birthday

Edited by Kell

feedingyourbabyandtoddlxs4.th.jpg

Feeding Your Baby and Toddler by Annabel Karmel

Synopsis:

Mum's favourite, Annabel Karmel's best-selling guide to feeding your baby and toddler is now in paperback. The link between the food children eat and their health is widely recognised today. Armed with this easy-to-use cookbook, discover how to prepare enticing food to give your child the best start in life. Mother of three and Cordon Bleu chef Annabel Karmel shares her favourite quick, simple and tempting meals covering every age range, from birth onwards. You can cook up over 200 delicious recipes, from healthy breakfasts and tempting food for fussy eaters, to lunchbox ideas and meals for the whole family to share. Structured around age, it answers all questions related to each stage in feeding. It is full of delicious recipes, which kids are sure to adore.

My thoughts:

This is not just a recipe book for baby food! When I opened this book I was very pleased to find lots of information on nutrition, kitchen basics, weaning and the various stages a baby goes through from purees to proper, full-on solids. Being a first-time Mum, I found it informative and very, very helpful to see all the information laid out in one place for me, and for it to be written in such an easy manner - I could almost believe I was having a conversation with the author and felt my confidence growing with every page I turned.

And yes, there are LOADS of recipes to try, from the very first mushy purees, to introducing a few lumps, to complete, solid meals for fussy toddlers, with a vast array of flavours and textures to try out.

As someone who enjoys cooking, I know I'll look forward to trying out many of the delicious-sounding meals on my own baby son and I feel a lot more sure of myself heading into this weaning business now too!

Rating: 8/10

Annabel Karmel's Favourite Family Recipes

Children's First Cook Book: Have Fun in the Kitchen

Top 100 Finger Foods

Edited by Kell

I read Ring a while ago, it was very good and as you say, chilling! I haven`t read any others by the author though, but I think I`ll have to give them a go now you`ve reminded me how good Ring was!

That was a very good review Kell. :lol:

I have 'Spiral' in my TBR pile, I did not realise 'Loop' was the third part, I am planning on investing in a copy.

I started reading 'Ring' this evening following Inc's brilliant review and sad but true, I was a bit freaked out when Tomoko is in the kitchen of her house and she has the feeling someone is behind her, I was thinking, 'Don't turn around!'

halfasleepinfrogpyjamasct8.th.jpg

Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas by Tom Robbins

Synopsis:

When the stock market crashes on the Thursday before Easter, you - an ambitious, though ineffectual and not entirely ethical stockbroker - are facing the Weekend From Hell. Jerked from one trial and revelation to another, by the time it is over, the path of your destiny has been knocked askew.

My thoughts:

Well, I've tried reading Half Asleep In Frog Pyjamas, but I'm afraid I just can't get into it. It's the writing style I can't get on with - it almost feels like I'm reading a "Choose Your Own Adventure" book as "You" are the protagonist - it's all "You do this" and "You go there", despite the fact that we've been given a character name and discription. I just can't get on with it at all. Sorry, but a few chapters in and it's annoying me so much that I've had to put it down. Perhaps I'll return to it some other time, but I can't see it happening really.

Rating: -no rating- (abandoned attempt)

Another Roadside Attraction; Even Cowgirls Get the Blues; Still Life with Woodpecker; Jitterbug Perfume; Skinny Legs and All; Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates; Villa Incognito; B is for Beer

Edited by Kell

Wow! 0/10, Kell. That must be a record low. Sounds like the England cricket team of the literary world ....

I just laughed out loud. ^^ That's so right. Shame you couldn't get into it Kell, but at least you know there's a lot more to choose from. :roll:

Wow! 0/10, Kell. That must be a record low. Sounds like the England cricket team of the literary world ....

Yeah - the style just totally sucked for me - dire indeed! I was actually recommended it and no doubt the story is fine, but I couldn't even get that far with it!

:eek: Good call, Roland!

Kell, it sounds very strange that the author gives a character name and then proceeds with the 'You did this...' Sounds like something an editor should have picked up.

twilightae5.th.jpg

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

Synopsis:

When 17 year old Isabella Swan moves to Forks, Washington to live with her father she expects that her new life will be as dull as the town. But in spite of her awkward manner and low expectations, she finds that her new classmates are drawn to this pale, dark-haired new girl in town. But not, it seems, the Cullen family. These five adopted brothers and sisters obviously prefer their own company and will make no exception for Bella. Bella is convinced that Edward Cullen in particular hates her, but she feels a strange attraction to him, although his hostility makes her feel almost physically ill. He seems determined to push her away? Until, that is, he saves her life from an out of control car. Bella will soon discover that there is a very good reason for Edward's coldness. He, and his family, are vampires? And he knows how dangerous it is for others to get too close.

My thoughts:

I finally succumbed to the hype about this series of teen-vampire books. So, does it live up to the hype? To be honest, I didn't think it anything all that special - it's basically a teen romance with vampires and the story could have been almost identical even without the bloodsucking element.

That's not to say it doesn't have its merits. It's incredibly easy to read and a lot of fun to boot. The characters are quirky, although, I'll admit I found Bella rather nauseating with her constant declarations of love for Edward and her near-terminal clumsiness - it just got a bit too much at times. I also couldn't understand why all the boys in town were falling over themselves to go out with her. Are they so devoid of female company in Forks? Edward, too, didn't actually strike me as anything all that hot. Yes, he's beautiful to look at, he's mysterious and brooding, but then, aren't almost all novel vampires? He just lacked that bit of "oomph" for me.

That said, there was enough there to keep me entertained and just enough to keep me interested enough to try at least one of the sequels - we'll see where I go from there...

Rating: 7/10

Twilight Saga - New Moon / Eclipse / Breaking Dawn

The Host

Edited by Kell

Good review Kell. :) I know what you mean about it not living upto the hype. Have you read The Host? I just bought it at Borders today, a long with The Colour of Magic, Private Peaceful and Noughts and Crosses. It's going to be hard to decide which one to start when I've finished The High Lord.