Nuclear war aftermath books..Please recommend

cadderz

I love reading nuclear war aftermath/Holocaust books, which I know is a bit morbid but was facinated as a young boy by two books, Brother in the Land and Children of the Dust. I would be happy to read something aimed at that age group or especially something a bit more adult longer, and what presents different ideas to as what could happen. Currently reading Neville Shutes "On the Beach" and want to continue in the same genre.

Please help!!!

Try Z for Zachariah by Robert O'Brien. It's more of a young adult fiction book, but it's a wonderful read. It's about a teenage girl who believes she's the only survivor of a nuclear bomb....or is she?:)

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

A Canticle for Leibowitz byWalter M. Miller Jr

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (Dystopian and post-apocalyptic fiction, not nuclear aftermath, genetically modified viruses)

:)

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

A Canticle for Leibowitz byWalter M. Miller Jr

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (Dystopian and post-apocalyptic fiction, not nuclear aftermath, genetically modified viruses)

:)

Yes, Oryx and Crake! That was the first book I thought of when I read the first post in this thread. Not exactly nuclear aftermath, but a similar idea, and a fantastic story to boot!

You might also consider The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje. It also is not exactly nuclear aftermath, but I think you'll see why I would put it in this category if you read it all the way through. :D

The Road isn't explicitly nuclear aftermath, but that would also be one of my suggestions.

I'd also say A Canticle for Leibowitz, which is probably (possibly) my favourite of all.

Good choices by Gyre.

Also I'd recommend Riddley Walker by Russel Hoban.

You might also like The Postman by David Brin, although it's nothing like the quality of the others on this list.

And, although I've never read it, Nevillle Shute's On The Beach is one of the other classics of the genre.