Comedians' Observations

Child.of.God.1989

Does anyone know of any good humor books? Most good stories are infused with a touch of humor, and especially irony in the characters' actions. Nevertheless, I would like to know about more books like Jerry Seinfeld's Sein Language. It's merely a written version of his bits shown on TV, with not too much introduction for each section, and not too much embellishment. (He says the delivery is up to you; perhaps it's meant kind of as a mentoring little book for rising stand-up comics.) Those kind of books are nice to break the ice with an interested stranger on the plane/train, or just to read a little bit at a time like savoring a little chocolate once in a while. I hope this is not an affront to those looking for informative, more educationally profitable non-fiction. I hope we will enjoy each other's recommendations.

I know this is probably not exactly what you're looking for, but how about Jimmy Carr's Only Joking?

This is from Amazon.com

(http://www.amazon.com/Only-Joking-Whats-Making-People/dp/1592402356)

"Carr, a British standup comic and host of the game show Distraction, and his friend Greeves, a freelance writer, deserve a round of applause for this entertaining and educational book about the history and practice of humor. In a delightfully roundabout way—leavened with a joke or witticism at the bottom of each page—the authors discuss theories of comedy, delving into trickster traditions, whether animals understand jokes, gender differences in joking, children's humor ("What's yellow and dangerous? Shark-infested custard"), ethnic and dirty jokes (e.g., the Aristocrats, made famous by the Penn Jillette/Paul Provenza movie), politically incorrect humor and the social role of antiestablishment humor. Tucked here and there are some delightful digressions, including a short bio of a dirty-joke collector, a history of joke books and the story of the development of television laugh tracks. In the end, Carr and Greeves remind readers not to confuse "seriousness of purpose" with a "solemn" attitude: just because people joke about something doesn't mean they're not taking it seriously. And that goes for the history of joking, too."

I know this is probably not exactly what you're looking for, but how about Jimmy Carr's Only Joking?

Oh, wonderful! Yes, Frankie, I suppose I was looking more for written versions of comedians' routines, but this book about jokes rather than of jokes looks even better. My search was kind of broad.:) Thanks muchly for the link for the preview. I saw that he had a very modern quotation from Demetri Martin, a young up-and-coming comedian I like. I will have to look for this one nearby!

Bill Maher - 'New Rules' is very very funny. In fact, anything by Bill Maher is worth reading!

Ouch, this guy is sharp! (I saw a little sneak-peek on Amazon.com) I love when a person has that choleric my-intuition-is-perfect sense of humor, because you can groan when he's wrong about something he's so sure of, and find an ally when he observes the same thing you have. I think he recently did a documentary that I really disagree with, but I would certainly borrow this book from a friend or the library. Thanks, Ruth.:)

• 1 month later...

Okay, so far for books that give you a humorous outlook on everyday life, I have the following ideas from all of us:

Sein Language by Jerry Seinfeld

- comedy bits on select topics such as dating, personal maintenance, and the busyness of life from his 1990s act and sitcom. I will have to ask my dad why he bought this years ago (good thing he did, as it's probably twice the price now!); I can't picture that wonderful man of few words being really interested in something like that and laughing out loud upon reading it.

New Rules by Bill Maher

Only Joking by Jimmy Carr

Love All the People by Bill Hicks

Fatherhood by Bill Cosby

- at first I was going to suggest I Am What I Ate... and I'm Frightened! after seeing it in the New Release section a few years ago, and only recently watching Youtube clips from his hi-LAR-ious Himself tour. Apparently, though, that one is actually a very serious look at what it's like being closer to the end of your life. Anyway, I think from what he's had to say about his parents, and all the material on his sitcom of how ridiculous we can be with each other, this book would be enjoyable to anyone who is a member of a family. Of course, that's everyone!:lol:

Words from the Wise: Over 6,000 of the Smartest Things Ever Said collected by Rosemarie Jarski

- I found this one looking up one of my favorite comedians, Demetri Martin. In this quotation book he is recorded saying something like, "It'd be cool to have a video game where you cured all the people who get shot in other video games. You'd have to call it... 'Really Busy Hospital.'":)

The Big Curmedgeon collected by Jon Winokur

- I probably wouldn't be super-excited to sink my teeth in this book of bitter, pessimistic perspective, but it does quote sarcastic, brazen comedian Jim Gaffigan twice. Yes! Hmm... do you think these quotation books are really books you would maybe take on a long trip and read cover-to-cover? If I were going to do that, I would use a quotation book of all topics, and not just humor.

Any other suggestions? Typically the humor books under this classification are a shade under 200 pages, just a linear grouping of different sayings of what they've noticed about life. I would appreciate any you have found from Christian authors or geniuses before the twentieth century.

I know there must be some Christian ones out there after peeking at some books on parenting my mom had years ago, and hearing comedians like Chonda Pierce and Mark Lowry. (I didn't mention Lowry's written adaptation of his stand-up stuff since he's so over-the-top, bless his huge heart.:lol:)

As for humor books that are a more genteel, classic age and flavor, I can't really think of anything besides Benjamin Franklin's Poor Richard's "Almanack", or something to that effect. Most of the Russian, American, and British authors around the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries seemed to display their wit more subtly and indirectly.

Even if you see something that's more like a quotation of a great deal of different people, please share!