Chimera's reading blog

Chimera

Now, how come you suggested the 'travelling' ones for me and kept Deluxe for yourself ? :lol: How did you work out that repartition ?? *cracks up*

Purely accidental, I'm sure. *pulls her halo down to give it a good shine*

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished reading this book last WE but took some time to process it. It was a very interesting read but the style surprised me and me feel like I missed out on a lot of the meaning of the book.

I'm glad I read it though as it deals with themes of other cultures, identity, finding one's self... Which fascinate me. I'm sure it's the type of book I would enjoy much more on a second reading (knowing what to expect and taking the time to look out for details and connections) if I ever get back to it!

Edited by Chimera
typos

• 2 weeks later...

Re-read the whole Persepolis series (they are graphic novels, so fairly quick to read) last week for the second or third time, I'm not too sure. It was still a wonderful read, and there was still lots of anecdotes and info to pick on.

I'll definitely have to get a copy of my own someday (I'm currently reading my parents copy)... I'd say it's part of the basics of a good personal library!

My review is on my blog if you'r interested. I dont think I'll add it here as it's already been reviewed/ discussed in several threads.

Edited by Chimera
typo

• 2 weeks later...

Havent read much lately :roll: I seem to have dedicated my time to other things... My problem is I tend to fully dedicate myself to one thing or another by periods, rather than doing a little of everything on the same day. If I'm going to read then it wont be for just an hour, I'll spend the whole evening after work enjoying a good book. I've never been much of a 'going through lots of activities in a day' person. Which means if something else catches my interest for a whie then my reading tends to disappear :lol:

Though maybe its also because the book I'm currently reading, L'africain by Le Cezio isnt really grabing my attention (havent picked it up in a week) but I'm still reluctant to just abandon it and go on to the next.

• 2 weeks later...
Ooooh its lovely to read a little review of this book, since I'm intended on buying/reading it in the near future.

You've made me even more excited now!

Enjoy! And let me know what you think afterwards :D

I ended the year with one of Donna Leon's Brunetti Crime novels, Fatal Remedies. It was great, even if very dark like most in the series, with a nice twist in Brunetti's familial life. One of the series most enjoyable aspects is the way Donna Leon delves into Brunetti's character and personal life: not in the crude way we can see in many cheap television programs but in a very realistic way. It helps us understand his motivations, character, evolution... And provides for many funny parts, necessary breathers.

My aim for the afternoon now is to get up to date with my 'reading across cultures' reviews: A Thousand Splendid Suns and Gr

Re-read the whole Persepolis series (they are graphic novels, so fairly quick to read) last week for the second or third time, I'm not too sure. It was still a wonderful read, and there was still lots of anecdotes and info to pick on.

I'll definitely have to get a copy of my own someday (I'm currently reading my parents copy)... I'd say it's part of the basics of a good personal library!

My review is on my blog if you'r interested. I dont think I'll add it here as it's already been reviewed/ discussed in several threads.

I'm glad you enjoyed re-reading Persepolis. I read your review on your blog, and it sounds very interesting! One of my goals for this year is to become acquainted with graphic novels/manga, and Persepolis is definitely on my list. I was just wondering if there were any other graphic novel touchstones that you would recommend to the uninitiated.

Thanks! Unfortunately I havent read many graphic novels, more comic books (such as Tintin, Blake and Mortimer... Many are excellent and not at all for children). Another really good one however, in a completely different style, is Blankets by Craig Thomson

Blurb from Amazon: At 592 pages, Blankets may well be the single largest graphic novel ever published without being serialized first. Wrapped in the landscape of a blustery Wisconsin winter, Blankets explores the sibling rivalry of two brothers growing up in the isolated country, and the budding romance of two coming-of-age lovers. A tale of security and discovery, of playfulness and tragedy, of a fall from grace and the origins of faith. A profound and utterly beautiful work from Craig Thompson.

I hope that helps! Sorry not to be able to give you more...

• 3 weeks later...

You could just be having an off month or so! :roll: Try again with a style of writing that you know you like. Or even re-read a book you love to get your appetite back. :(

Since the beginning of the year I've also started Far from the Madding Crowd which I think I should now officially declare abandonned as it still hasnt grabbed my attention...

How far did you make it? I struggled for quite a while but found that that the last 150 pages or so really picked up and it got much more interesting.

How far did you make it? I struggled for quite a while but found that that the last 150 pages or so really picked up and it got much more interesting.

Just over 100 pages... But I think if I'm still not caught up after 3 weeks there's no point forcing myself to continue.

You could just be having an off month or so! :) Try again with a style of writing that you know you like. Or even re-read a book you love to get your appetite back. :woohoo:

Finally got into Obama's book...which is fascinating. I'm back on track again! :)

Finally got into Obama's book...which is fascinating. I'm back on track again! :)

Glad to hear it! Is Obama's book good? I enjoyed the speech thoroughly, thought it was a brave one to make.

Finally got into Obama's book...which is fascinating. I'm back on track again! :readingtwo:

Glad to hear it! Is Obama's book good? I enjoyed the speech thoroughly, thought it was a brave one to make.

It's excellent! Fascinating both because it shows how Obama grew up to be who he his (and it is damn reassuring in that respect: doesnt tell us wether he'll manage to do all that's expected/ hoped from him - no reference to being born in another galaxy yet :D - but it does show once more that he is definitely different and has a very deep reflexion on some vital 'issues') and also in it's own right: as the account of the identity 'quest' of a young black multicultural american boy in a time of great changes.

I've put it on hold at the moment though because I want to grasp every word of it and therefore read it ever so slowly, which is frustrating during the week when I have little time to read. I'll get back to it next WE and next week (school week = holydays *laughs*)

school week = holydays *laughs*

Where on earth did I get that idea from ?? *frowns at the thought of tomorrow's 5 hour long finance class*

Finished Never let me go tonight. It was a re-read but just as good as the first time around. Very disturbing though... I look forward to the reading circle discussions!

And I'll have to try other novels by this author. Any suggestions as to which to go for first?

Yay, finally finished Dreams from my father tonight! It was a fascinating but very slow and demanding read. I'll be writing a review tomorrow and would love to discuss it with anyone who's read it (I know a few people on here have just finished it but cant remember who, sorry. I'll check tomorrow :friends0:).

I'm looking forward to a shorter, lighter read next. Will be starting The rights of the reader by Daniel Pennac in the morning :eek:

Edited by Chimera

• 3 weeks later...

His Dark Materials or Noughts and Crosses. (trilogy's) Or even Black Magician trilogy, they all would be good reads for a marathon.- If you haven't read them.

thanks for the suggestions Ben! I've read His Dark materials several times, which is brilliant :D I dont know about the others as I dont have them and it's a bit short notice to get them...

I'm thinking more of a mixed genre kind of marathon right now. Maybe a book for each of my favourite genres? I know it's not strictly speaking a marathon but it would be a way of getting myself back on track :irked:

So maybe...

Crime novels: the 1st Donna Leon which I've been meaning to re read

Contemporary authors: La petite marchande de prose by Daniel Pennac

Fantasy: The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling

Across cultures: The Bookseller of Kabul by Asne Seierstad

EDIT: Or I could go to the library, pick the first 4 random (short, let's stay realistic) books which tempt me and read those? That might be fun. Or a disaster if I choose badly... *laughs*

Edited by Chimera
New idea ;-)