Life Span of TVP

Mamacita

I've been offered a very elderly can of TVP. Does anyone know if this stuff has a finite life expectancy? There's also a couple cans of dried potatoes, and dried egg powder.

If this stuff is still useable I'll take it, but if not, then I think I'll give it a polite "thanks but no thanks".

Textured Vegetable Protein. A meat substitute. Usually granules. Dried. You soak them in water and they plump up and resemble cooked ground beef (mince to you). You can then season it and use it to make tacos, use it in lasagna, spagetti sauce...anything you'd use ground meat in.

Here's a link with more of a description that I just found: http://www.healthrecipes.com/textured_vegetable_protein.htm

Sounds a bit like soya mince, which I use a fair old bit. I'm sure it has a use by date, but I'm also pretty sure it lasts for ages & ages if it's the dried type. I've no idea about the dried potatoes & egg powder though - they're not something I've ever really come across. Unless the dried potato is like Smash - puffs up into mashed potato when you add hot water, in which case, again, it usually lasts donkeys.

:rofl:

Actually, Andy, I'm asking on behalf of my dog, Sunni. She needs some extra protein in her diet and since I'm the thrifty sort, instead of seeing this get tossed into the garbage, I figured if it could be used, why not let my little girl benefit?

I certainly wouldn't eat it! I'm a carnivore--big time! :eat: