Show your bookshelf

beef

I've moved your posts to the existing thread. :) Also, I've moved the thread to General Book Discussions; I never understood what it was doing in General Chat. :D

That's a lovely room, Alexander! It looks very cosy. I love the colour on the wall and the wooden floorboards as well.

• 1 year later...

I was going through the thread in this section, looking for a particular thread, and then I found this one, and realized I haven't posted my new bookcase in Helsinki in this thread yet :) Here it is:

post-4458-0-72942600-1460312122_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the tilt :D  

I've actually re-organized the bookcase since taking this picture, but I've not taken pictures of the 'New Order'... Lazy me! 

Edited by frankie

frankie, I love your bookshelf! I like how it allows for different sizes. Can you reach the highest shelves, though? Also - if that is indeed an Ikea head scratcher I spy, I own the same one! Who needs a spouse when there are head and back scratches, right?

This is my bookshelf as a whole, the left part and the right part, and then the entire wall, because in the first picture it looks bigger than it really is.

Generally, I've tried to arrange them by language, then by fiction and non-fiction, then by general genre - classics and modern novels, fantasy, history, crime/mystery/thriller. I try to keep loyal to that, but as I keep adding books, it can become challenging and not all books are entirely where they're supposed to be. There are books behind the visible rows of books as well. 

Last year, my room had to be rearranged entirely and I had to move all my books. I took the opportunity to start a record of all the books I own and I've kept adding to it as I've kept buying. If I haven't forgetten any books, I own 387 books. So, still a long way to go! (Although I'm sure whoever ends up helping me move out of here at some point will curse the boxes and boxes of books.)

Edit - I see I've posted pictures back in February 2015 as well  :blush2: Probably still looks the same, but I'm pretty sure over 100 books have been added somehow.

post-9786-0-83727600-1460322242_thumb.jpg

post-9786-0-50780700-1460322276_thumb.jpg

post-9786-0-15221500-1460322286_thumb.jpg

post-9786-0-93240100-1460322296_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alexander the Great
  • Like 1

Your bookcase is soooo tall, Frankie! Do you know how high your ceilings are? I'd love to live somewhere with higher ceilings (only partly because I could then fit more books...)

I love your shelves too, Alexander. Is that a loft-style room?

frankie, I love your bookshelf! I like how it allows for different sizes. Can you reach the highest shelves, though? Also - if that is indeed an Ikea head scratcher I spy, I own the same one! Who needs a spouse when there are head and back scratches, right?

Thanks AlexandertG! :smile2: I love all the different sized shelves, too! Very convenient. I can reach all the bookshelves and the one shelf-line above the books (with the Ikea scratcher), and I can just about reach a DVD and grab it if I'm on my toes, from the top shelf. The black cardboard boxes on top are totally out of reach for me. 

Yeah, who needs a spouse :D Although... It's a lot nicer when someone else is doing the scratching. It allows you to completely relax! If you do it yourself, your arm is having to do all the work :unsure::lol: Yeah I'm lazy and high maintenance when it comes to scratches and massages! :D

This is my bookshelf as a whole, the left part and the right part, and then the entire wall, because in the first picture it looks bigger than it really is.

Holy sonovatwitch, those are really beautiful bookshelves you have! And I love all the decorative stuff! :wub: You have eye for that kind of stuff :yes: Very beautiful! 

Generally, I've tried to arrange them by language, then by fiction and non-fiction, then by general genre - classics and modern novels, fantasy, history, crime/mystery/thriller. I try to keep loyal to that, but as I keep adding books, it can become challenging and not all books are entirely where they're supposed to be. There are books behind the visible rows of books as well.

I do the same, I arrange my books according to genres and themes. And I know the pain of rearranging the shelves after buying new books: it's not easy when you have to fit a new book on a certain shelf, based on a genre! 

Last year, my room had to be rearranged entirely and I had to move all my books. I took the opportunity to start a record of all the books I own and I've kept adding to it as I've kept buying. If I haven't forgetten any books, I own 387 books. So, still a long way to go! (Although I'm sure whoever ends up helping me move out of here at some point will curse the boxes and boxes of books.)

I used to keep a record of all my books, too, but as my computer crashed, I lost it. It was sad. If you keep yours on a computer, do make safe copies!! :) 

Edit - I see I've posted pictures back in February 2015 as well  :blush2: Probably still looks the same, but I'm pretty sure over 100 books have been added somehow.

:D Maybe that's how you got into adding another row of books in front of the first row of books? Double-rowing them? :D 

Your bookcase is soooo tall, Frankie! Do you know how high your ceilings are? I'd love to live somewhere with higher ceilings (only partly because I could then fit more books...)

I have no idea how high my ceilings are. I have this chair that has a few ladders, whatever you call it, too lazy to google, and even with that I can't reach the ceiling. If someone pointed a gun at me and I had to guess, I'd say the ceiling's at 2,7 meters. 

And thanks Athena and bobbly! :smile2: I'm totally in love with my bookcase :) It's nice that all my books fit in it! 

Edited by frankie

• 2 months later...

We have about 10 bookcases in our house... A few years ago I visited my Dad's new cottage in Dorset and he has books everywhere - shelves, large and small bookcases - in every room. I liked that idea, it felt cosy. :) So gradually we are doing the same here (my wife doesn't mind...too much). I constantly run out of shelf space so have just bought another bookcase which means at least I now have some empty shelves... ;)

I'll take some pictures this weekend and post them up.

Nearly all of my bookshelves have now been taken down in preparation for work on the house.  All my books are in boxes and it's impossible to know where anything is! :(  Seriously hoping everything will be back before Christmas, but I can see this going on into next year knowing how much work is needed.  :wacko:  Now relying on the coffee table, Kindle and library for books at the moment.

Right, I've taken some pics of most of them. They're displaying in no particular order so...

The glazed bookcase is from the 1950s and houses the smaller of my antiquarian books, plus some assorted books from my wife and some books inherited from my Nan (a lot of old Agatha Christie paperbacks).

The one with all my comic/graphic novel collections I had made from reclaimed pine.

The 2 together are an old 1930s bookcase and a more recent pine one - some odds and ends along with my Bill Bryson collection, but my football books mainly.

Large pine one with all my biographies in - my newest one which allowed me to house the biogs in a separate case and create room elsewhere.

The other large pine one is a bit older and has my history and military collections.

The little 3 shelf in dark wood is a lovely little old bookcase I saw in an antiques place recently going cheaply - some historical odds and ends in there.

post-14207-0-19824500-1468750559_thumb.jpg

post-14207-0-85436300-1468750577_thumb.jpg

post-14207-0-86088700-1468750597_thumb.jpg

post-14207-0-63375600-1468750616_thumb.jpg

post-14207-0-99007500-1468750637_thumb.jpg

post-14207-0-80616400-1468750656_thumb.jpg

Great looking bookcases ! I have those complete peanuts too _ it'll be the full set by this October. :)

Kate, is that called a jade plant in the US then ? I think it's a money plant over here.:)

Yes, but now that you mention, I've heard it called a money plant as well,

Thanks all :) Yes the money plant/Jade plant started life quite small on my bedroom window sill - its now more like a tree and we're hoping it doesn't get much bigger! :) The shelves are mostly hardbacks sorted first, then paperbacks. But there are a few exceptions.

Little Pixie - I do love those Peanuts collections; they're so well presented. But by the 80s cartoons I was finding them less funny so I really don't know if I'll complete the collection. The 50s and 60s ones were my favourites. My OCD is telling me to complete the collection, regardless... :D

As my collecting has increased, so have the bookcases - 5 of those have been bought in the last 2 years. I think my wife is hoping that's IT for at least a few months... ;):readingtwo:

Little Pixie - I do love those Peanuts collections; they're so well presented. But by the 80s cartoons I was finding them less funny so I really don't know if I'll complete the collection. The 50s and 60s ones were my favourites. My OCD is telling me to complete the collection, regardless... :D

:giggle2:  I bought them every six months, or every year, so I`m not too aware of quite how much money they`ve cost...  :hide:

:giggle2:  I bought them every six months, or every year, so I`m not too aware of quite how much money they`ve cost...  :hide:

:D The best way. I was finding if I bought them as 2 volumes in 1 go, and I read a few pages in bed before sleep...it would take me several months before I needed the next one. I suppose ultimately they'll be worth something eventually, they're really well done (that might help next time you buy them ;) ).

:D The best way. I was finding if I bought them as 2 volumes in 1 go, and I read a few pages in bed before sleep...it would take me several months before I needed the next one. I suppose ultimately they'll be worth something eventually, they're really well done (that might help next time you buy them ;) ).

:giggle2: