Twilight by Stephanie Meyer - your favourite characters and why

Alexander

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 34 and I really enjoyed the whole series, I did not put a whole lot of thought into it whether they were YA or not :) I just thought it was a good read.

I was a little selfconscious about purchasing/LOVING Twilight as I am not a "young adult", but I figure, it's an awesome book, and as long as you find it entertaining and engaging, stuff whatever age you are.

Favourite Characters:

Edward - because well..obvious reasons.

Charlie - so hilarious, everybody knows whats going on..except him

Alice - she see's the future

Most Hated Characters:

Bella - I hate the way Meyer's portrays her also,

she doesn

Edited by Kell
Took out capitalisation on every word and spoiler tags added

I run with the vampires xD I mean, I obviously belong to "Team Edward". I love all the Cullens. well, and Hales too :D Alice rules :] And Emmet left an impression of a big, funny teddy bear of a brother.

I liked Bella in the beginning... But when the Jacob stuff came in, I was like "You have the most gorgeous being in the entirw universe and you go for that?!" :D

Bella - I Hate The Way Meyer's Portrays Her xS Also, *SPOLIER* She Doesnt Want To Get Married Or Have Children Throughout The First Three Books But In The Last, It Happens?! I Feel Quite Sorry For Her And Her Inability To Lead Her Own Life

Well, I don't feel sorry for her.. and she grows and develops through the books like any other human.. She never said she doesn't want to have children. And marriage part comes because of her mother, but in the end, she leads her own life, not her mothers and that's what it comes up to.. so it isn't anything strange to me that thats the way story goes :D

Jacob - Ugh, Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate Him. He's Like In Love With Bella For Two Books Then *SPOILER* He Imprints On Her NEWBORN CHILD?! WTF Is That About!?

well, it's explained in a book how the imprinting happens, and it doesn't come by free will :D and why would you hate a character? :D

Rosalie - Is There Anyone That Likes Her?

well, she is annoying sometimes, but she is beautiful, smart, regrets that she can't have babies, cares for her family, makes mistakes just like others, and eventually she does everything she cans to protect them, even if she disagrees with some decisions. She is ok :D

I run with the vampires xD I mean, I obviously belong to "Team Edward". I love all the Cullens. well, and Hales too :D Alice rules :] And Emmet left an impression of a big, funny teddy bear of a brother.

I liked Bella in the beginning... But when the Jacob stuff came in, I was like "You have the most gorgeous being in the entirw universe and you go for that?!" :D

:D Yeah I'm the same. I like the Cullens! And I also got a bit irritated with Bella (and Stephenie for doing it) when the whole Jacob thing was going on. I could understand why it happened but I still didn't like it very much!

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished the series today so wanted to read some of the threads and comment. :)

Favorite Characters..

Alice - She's playful, fun, accepting, welcoming, and one of the most devoted & loyal members of the Cullen family, despite the fact that she wasn't created by Carlisle. She always tries to help anyone that needs it in the book, and she's more welcoming to both Bella and Jacob, at times when other members of the family were less than accepting. Her powers to see the future, of course, are very cool.. If her powers were situated in someone less anxious to do complete good all the time (Rosalie, for example), they could be abused and cause more harm than good. The superficial side of me also loves that she's obsessed with parties and fashion.. Just too cute, and a nice balance for the unconcerned Bella in that sense. ;)

Emmett - What you see is what you get with Emmett. From the very beginning, there's a lot of mystery in this story. And that mystery follows all the way through to the end. Edward doesn't always tell Bella the whole story... Rosalie is stand-offish and unyielding and it's a long time before we understand why... Jacob resorts to tricks and uses Bella's friendship/love against her in order to get what he wants at times... Charlie is completely in the dark at the end about the truth... etc etc etc. With Emmett, it's never mysterious. He likes to fight, he likes to laugh, he likes to play, he likes to poke fun at Bella -- he's just good-hearted, honest with himself and others, and simple. And there's no guesswork with Emmett. Unlike so many of the other characters, he's easy to predict and it's endearing that he's so true to himself.

Carlisle and Esme are givens for me for favorite characters. They're both warm, kind-hearted, care about others more than themselves, and the epitome of "good." Just plain good.

Now for the ones I didn't love as much...

Bella - I don't mean to say that I didn't "like" Bella, but there were points (especially in the first three books) that she really got on my nerves. For example, all through the first parts, she can only think of being with Edward forever. Her mind is consumed with him, she never wants him to leave, and she's very quick to claim undying, everlasting devotion to him. She seems to want nothing more than to have Edward wholly and completely and spend the rest of her life with him. Then all of a sudden.. When Edward starts talking about getting engaged and/or married, she literally shivers at the thought of being a 'fiance' or walking down the aisle. I do understand that her hesitation surrounding marriage comes from her mom, but it's such a huge swap to go from being "unconditionally and irrevocably" in love with him so soon after meeting him, to actually shuddering at the thought of wearing an engagement ring that ties her to Edward.

Second thing that bothered me about Bella through mainly the first three books was how much she got to have her cake and eat it, too. I'm talking about how she spends 90% of her time with Jacob, despite her knowledge that he's falling in love with her. When Edward is away, she is around Jacob enough to develop feelings for him too, and it's evident in her actions that she feels this way. She's always stroking his face or his hair.. or leaning her head on his shoulder.. etc. Even later when he's a "shape-shifter," she continues developing this bond with him that must almost kill him .. She holds herself too closely to him, but not quite close enough to let him grab her. If I was Edward, I'd be upset that this charade continues all the way through the entire relationship. Generally, if a guy is in love with a girl, and she's truly and completely in love with another, she doesn't encourage the further development of the ellicit feelings by staring into his eyes all the time, or holding his hand everyday, etc.. especially after she starts having feelings for HIM but knows she'll never feel enough to give him what he needs. I think early on, she should have cut him loose or laid down some boundaries and stuck to them herself. Anything other than that is just intentionally hurting someone else.. in this case, it hurt both Jacob AND Edward at times, and all so Bella doesn't have to live without either of them right by her side whenever she wants.

That being said, I wasn't always too fond of Jacob ... I think he should have also let Bella's words stand when she said she only wanted Edward, but I'm sure it was a bit confusing what with her actions not matching up with her words and all. I did like him slightly better by the end, since it all sort of matched up and made sense .. despite the imprinting situation. I didn't have a huge problem with the imprinting, since it was made clear that there was no free will involved. I actually ended up being happy with the situation at the end,

since he got to be a part of Bella's family, but he was finally not in love with her and not in competition with Edward. Bella and Jacob actually stopped hurting each other in the end, as Renesmee became the most important thing to both of them.

So those are just my opinions.. I'm sure everyone doesn't agree, but that's all part of being a reader and discussing books, I guess. :D All in all, enjoyed the series and glad to see some Young Adult books becoming more widely valued. (I didn't say perfectly written or super insightful.. but many YA books are strictly for entertainment value, and I have to say this served up plenty of entertainment for me.) Even though I'm 26 so not really a "young adult," I think the more books that are widely-read, the better, as that scenario can offer many options and different perspectives.

I didn't have a huge problem with the imprinting, since it was made clear that there was no free will involved.

i agree with most of what you said, but you made no comment on Edward! :)

Also, one thing about imprinting - I don't see how there being no free will makes it okay -

surely whats disturbing about it is the mental association with paedophilia it invokes, even when its non-romantic for the first x number of years? Would you say paedophiles are more okay because have no free will?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying thats what imprinting IS, but we've all thought it, so I'm just saying that whether free will is involved or not is irrelevant to how okay it is.

Anyway likeI say, beyond that I agree with you.

i agree with most of what you said, but you made no comment on Edward! :)

Also, one thing about imprinting - I don't see how there being no free will makes it okay -

surely whats disturbing about it is the mental association with paedophilia it invokes, even when its non-romantic for the first x number of years? Would you say paedophiles are more okay because have no free will?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying thats what imprinting IS, but we've all thought it, so I'm just saying that whether free will is involved or not is irrelevant to how okay it is.

Anyway likeI say, beyond that I agree with you.

I definitely see your point, Roxi.. I think that, for me, since it was a fiction book and not really real, it was a lot easier to deal with than if this was something that occurred in real life. Since Meyer was writing specifically for YA, I feel like many things, the imprinting situation included, were merely explained away and she probably didn't write the storylines meaning for them to be questioned by us always-questioning adults out there. ;) I support pedophilia no more than I support fortune-tellers (Alice) or mind readers (Edward), but since those are widely taken at face value in the book, I feel like the imprinters should be taken much in the same way. The way Meyer wrote and explained it actually prevented me from even considering pedophilia as an issue here -- Until I started reading the threads on the series, I didn't think much about it, just as I didn't think much about Jacob turning into a wolf or Carlisle bringing people back from the near-dead. Since so much of the book was make-believe, I let the imprinting situation follow in the same vein, and honestly never gave it a thought.

:D

So what DID you think about eddy as a character? :)

Oooh I forgot to answer this in my last post.

He's not my favorite, and he's not my least favorite.

I will say that during the first book (which I fully expected to hate), I asked my mom "Is it wrong that I'm in love with a fictional vampire character??" ;)

Overall, I really did like Edward.. There's something reaaaaally sexy about the guy (even though I don't like Robert Pattison appearance-wise *ducking to avoid things being thrown*).. The way I imagined him in the book was really sexy anyway. The fast car, the amazing strength, and there's no doubt he put Bella before himself time after time. He has a mysterious, aloof air in the beginning and it's really attractive. What can I say? I like the challenge some guys present. :D (Or did anyway, before I was washed up and married! :D)

Some people say he's overprotective.. I actually think he's the right amount of protective. Bella DID have a knack for getting herself into trouble and he stepped in at just the right times, for the most part. And it's admirable how he let her make her own decisions with Jacob, despite the fact that he was probably torn apart inside when she kissed him or told him she loved him, etc. So I think he was actually a good balance of hands-on and hands-off.

Like the guy, but also hard for me to really evaluate him since so little of the book was from his perspective. I think it's why I have an easier time really making my judgment of Jacob and Bella: So much of the story was told from their view. If "Midnight Sun" is finished, I bet I'll have a whole page to write on Eddie-boy!

Some people say he's overprotective.. I actually think he's the right amount of protective.

Some people (i.e me) say he was an obsessive stalker guy.

Some people (i.e me) LIKE obsessive stalker guys :)

I said this in my blog review of it - objectively he IS a bad-tempered stalkerish character. People just tend to be endeared by it. Its actually quite distubring - just imagine if Bella DIDN'T like him.

Hmmmm.. that would have been really interesting if Bella hadn't liked him. Half of me thinks he would have gotten his way with her -- one way or the other -- and half thinks he would have welcomed the relief since he was trying to stay away from her in the beginning anyway. I'm with you on this one though.. I think the pull would have been too strong for him!

I'll have to check out your blog review on this book..

Does it say who your fav and least fav characters are??

I don't believe so. I mentioned how Carlisle represents, for me, as the link between vampires and humans, the grey area the rest of the book lacks, as each other character has a general role to place - alice is the prophet, rosalie the skeptic and so on. And as such Carlisle is way too understated. I think thats all i said. I'm doing the 4 reviews as one, sorta. I have Twilight, which covers the basics. New Moon covers Jacob. I'll throw a bit into the third, and the fourth will deal with Jacob compared to Edward.

I just read your ramblings on the first 2 books. :) I completely agree with much of what you said -- and like how you mentioned Carlisle as the link between good and evil. I also agree with your saying Bella lacks much personality. The hard part is, I think that the book would have been WAY more interesting if told from the perspective of Carlisle and Esme, or Edward, or pretty much anyone besides Bella. Bella seems to me to be the most basic character, and it's a shame we view so much of the story through those basic eyes. Imagine how cool it could have been to hear Carlisle's voice of reason telling this story? You know he's not unfeeling -- he's just controlled and determined to have good win out. I'd love to get a glimpse inside his head and see how he REALLY feels sometimes -- I bet he's passionate and uber.sexy! ;)

• 10 months later...

Wow, a thread about Twilight I haven't commented in (Only because it was written before I read it :D). I love all of the Cullens but if I had to pick one character, it would be Emmett. His personality is great, the way he jokes around and treats Bella like a little sister. He's also really funny in parts :D I also love Charlie though, Edward, Carlisle, Esme, Alice, Jasper, even Rosalie. I'm one of those that's not a fan of Jacob :)

Has anyone read Midnight Sun on Stephenie Meyer's website? It makes me wish she had written the whole series from Edward's point of view. He is conflicted in ways Bella never was and it brings a whole new depth to the story. It's a shame she won't publish it.

Yeah I've read it and would love to see the whole thing from Edward's perspective (just so there was more about the Cullens). But it's really interesting hearing people's thoughts and what Edward was thinking when he first saw Bella. I also love the whole bit with Edward and Esme around the piano, and the reason why Rosalie is in a bad mood :)