Twilight by Stephanie Meyer - your favourite characters and why

Alexander

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, I have read all the books (including the partial draft of Midnight Sun and the left out chapters).

To me Edward is simply perfect, from any point of view one can think of (well, he is a vampire but he is vegetarian so I cannot hold that against him). I loved Bella too, especially in the first book where I found it very brave and ready to give up her own good for the sake of others (one can understand and get to appreciate Bella even better after reading Midnight Sun and seeing what Edward sees so attractive in her). Other than that, I have also liked Alice, Esme and Carlisle. Would probably have liked the others too but they didn't manage to capture my interest in them far enough.

As of Jacob, I didn't quite like him, I thought he was more like an egotistical spoiled brat than anything else (at least compared to Edward).

PS I'm not into vampire books and I didn't know about the hype around these books at the time of reading -- but I was truly captivated by the books. I found them... filled with passion (for lack of a better word), especially Twilight and Midnight Sun.

I love Edward. I certainly warmed more to his obsessive stalkerish ways after reading the Midnight Sun draft.

I say the same things always about the series - great concept, wrong writer. The utter perfection Bella sees Edward as is just boring, and this whole having a dozen great cars and building a random cottage as a present and what not.... its just a bit over the top.

I don't know ANYONE who likes Book 4. Its just way out there.

The series does have good moments. I do think the overall concept is great. But things like, skipping days or weeks because nothing related to Bella or Edward happened in that time, and things just falling perfectly into place all the time, it just made it a bit dull.

I also think the portrayal of them falling in love in the first book was waaaaaaay too rapid. Having read Midnight Sun and seeing the point at which Edward falls for Bella, I tend to see it as Meyer writing things with a certain events-timeframe in her mind, and not realising how it didn't carry over to the text. I really didn't get the impression of the spark between them from Twilight.

I'm reading all 4 books again at the moment, because I did skim bits originally. Like, entire sections about Jacob. And admittedly, knowing the basic story already has made it seem much more plausible, so I do think its just not very well written.

Hehe. I think I was quite lucky tbh...I read it before I'd heard about all the criticism about it. Otherwise, I think I would have read it in a different state of mind and expecting it to be terrible. I wasn't keen on Jacob narrating at first but I got used to that. And I was a bit disappointed with the huge build up to the non existent fight, I assumed at least one main character would have died. Not that I wanted them to :).

:D But I can understand why so many people don't like it...I think!

But see this is the thing. No big fight, its all about the peace, love and peace talks, coz THATS realistic. And its all about the happily ever afters, coz THATS realistic too.

You know what I think annoyed me more than anything actually about it:

'Oh so hey, werewolves.' 'Actually, they're shapeshifers. Theres this whole other (probably interesting) history there about shape-shifting Indians, but you know, since its not directly relevant to Bella and Eddy, lets not actually explore that.'

And By the Way, since it IS entirely relevant to the plot, heres a random dude whos mother was human to prove Renesmee will be grand for Jacob by the time she's 6, but we're only going to summarise that whole thing having not mentioned the search for this guy (which could have made an entire interesting BOOK if twilight wasn't entirely centred on Bella and Edward.'

So basically my main problem is how the entire Twilight series is like one epic adventure fantasy romance story, with everything that isn't directly related to the cutesy bits being cut out.

And everybody hates Jacob coz hes essentially the only padding the story has, and its primarily to show off just how great Bella and Edward are together.

/rant.

It was alright, just a bit of a dissappointment when you consider the hype surrounding it.

Maybe that's why I have enjoyed the whole series so much, I was completely unaware of the said hype at the time :D

I'm fairly curious to see what will Mrs. Meyer write about next (Twilight stuff or a completely new book, I am very curious to see something else written by her) (I have yet to read The Host)

I haven't read The Host, though I think I might.

And she should finish Midnight Sun next. Its her own fault it got leaked, so she shouldn't punish the fans who were so eager to read it!!!! It gave the initial Twilight book SO much more depth, it really did, and it was only half a draft.

I SO agree with you about Midnight Sun. I too think that it gave the initial book a lot more depth and that it would be a very nice gesture from SM to her eager fans to finish it. Not to mention the draft stopped at the worst possible moment, I was the most curious of all to see how things will go in that meadow from Edward's point of view :D

I've got to disagree. I was so psyched to read that partial draft of Midnight Sun but to say I was disappointed would be an understatement. I found it very repetitive and although it was interesting to hear the story from Edward's point of view, that's about it. I didn't like knowing everything that was going on in Edward's mind, I preferred it when he was mysterious. I hope she doesn't finish it to be honest. The only way I would want to hear a story from Edwards point of view would be a completely different plot and not his view on Twilight.

Having said all that, I was intrigued and did want to read more. Especially about the kiss scene and how he might have been feeling during the 'ballet' scene...but I personally think that would ruin how I perceived Edward.

Finished now! :D

I like both Bella and Edward >.< so I can't choose.

Bella because, she reminds me of me some times, and some of my friends agree with me so xD.

Edward, because, he so sweet. And god I just love everything about him.

I can't explain it.

And I'm obviously team Edward xD.

Don't get me wrong, Jacob is sweet, but Bella and Edward are just destind for eachother.

I'm reading New Moon again and I thought I'd like it better the second time round but I'm not so far! New Moon is my least favourite from the saga, mainly because of the lack of Edward and the abundance of Jacob :lol: hehe.

I'm only 70 pages in and the really sad bit is happening right now :roll:.

Alice, Emmett and Edward are my favourite characters...I think I already posted that, but never mind :P

Hey all, this is a message to all Twilight fans (or Twilight haters if you wish to argue your point). I've just recently created a Twilight group for everyone to discuss all things Twilight :roll:. I'm pretty sure if you click on the link on your profile it will lead you to a page with all the groups on if you wish to join! It's only got two members at the moment but I'm hoping as Twilight seems to be quite popular, that more people will join soon :lol:

In reply (again) to this current thread. I really like Charlie in the film and book, I think he plays it really well and he's so sweet :P. Also, Mike irritates me both in the book and film, hehe.

Actually, thats a great point. Charlie was superbly acted, really endearing despite his lack o screentime.

And I liked Mike simply coz I love the actor - he played Joan's brother Luke in Joan of Arcadia and a young Jack O Neil in Stargate SG-1, so I adore him.

The scene near the end when Bella is leaving had me feeling so sorry for Charlie. He didn't need to say anything, the actor's face was enough and I think that's amazing when an actor can do that :lol:

I think all of Bella's human friends were brilliant in the movie, including Mike...even if the way he said 'girl' made me cringe hehe.

Although I think the groups can be useful, I think you get more out of having discussions on the forum. In the group, you are restricted to the people who join, plus they're not included in the unread post count, so you may miss new discussions.

The groups are useful for posting photos etc, but if you're discussing the book, I would suggest keeping them out here. :lol: