Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe series

Hey gang,

Trying to find a specific Marlower book that I read ages ago.

Bear with me, I don't have many details just a few images that I remember.

I just remember Marlowe was tailing someone, either with someone's help, or for someone else, in his car. I know this scene probably appears in every Marlowe book, but I'm trying to find one. I think he was trying to find a girl or someone that had been kidnapped and I think he was following the person responsible to where they lived.

I guess I'll start there.

Thanks for any help.

I must've been real tired writing that. I don't know who Pihilip Marlower is.

How about this instead?

Name your favorite Marlowe novel.

It's hard to find good noir and it's even harder to find anything as good the writings of Raymond Chandler.

The Big Sleep is such a brilliant book. I love it. I'm no great fan of crime fiction, but the use of language and the flow of the narrative sometimes makes it feel more like a bit of beat poetry.

Amazingly it hasn't lost any of its charm, either, despite being parodied and copied as often as it has. Lots of art which was brilliant and original in its day loses its charm as it's original wit becomes in a couple of decades a tired cliche - and The Big Sleep is perhaps more awash with what became cliche than almost anything I've ever encountered - yet somehow it manages to stay above the fray.

Bealsebub - I think the one you are remembering is either 'Playback' or 'The Lady in the Lake'. It's a while since I read either of them, but since they are the only ones that take place substantially or entirely outside LA, they seem the most likely ones for Marlowe to be travelling in a car.

I must've been real tired writing that. I don't know who Pihilip Marlower is.

How about this instead?

Name your favorite Marlowe novel.

It's hard to find good noir and it's even harder to find anything as good the writings of Raymond Chandler.

I bought The Big Sleep recently. Hoping to read it soon.

Cool! I think you're right. I know I've read Lady in the Lake, but not sure about Playback. I'll start there and see if it comes back to me.

I love rediscovering literature from my youth!

Is it true that these current uniform cover designed editions are abridged versions of the Chandler originals? I read that somewhere. That'd be sad if true. Not that I'd notice. But still...

• 1 year later...