Escape - Carolyn Jessop

tbain

Jessop was born and raised in the restricted and closed off world of the Fundamentalist Church of The Latter day Saints. At 18 , she was forced into a marriage with a man 32 years her senior. For 17 years she lived with his controlling ways and six other wives in a cramped house . She had eight children of her own and looked after numerous other children that were to his other wives. Her children and her were frequently mistreated in the house by her husband and the other wives and the laws and constraints of their religion over the years became increasingly strict and controlling. When the cult had a new leader Warren Jeffs. He was abusive to his wives , violent and he started marrying off girls at an extremely young age which motivated Jessop to escape with her children .

I actually found this book to be very good. Jessop relates her story very well and it is incredible to read all the things that she was forced to endure. Definitely worth a read.

• 1 month later...

One of those 'white covered' books - a true story of someone's terrible suffering - this is not the sort of book I'd usually buy.

But, I have to say, I found it compelling. I read it in just two days, which is quick compared to my usual reading speed because I kept reading 'just one more chapter' to find out what's going to happen next.

It's about a woman who was brought up as a Fundamentalist Mormon (FLDS) who is given for a polygamist marriage at 18 to a man 30 years her senior. She is mentally abused by him and his other wives and has to submit to sex with him in order to survive. She bears him 8 children.

After discovering that her 12 year-old daughter has spent 3 nights at the home of one of the elders, she realises she and her children must try to escape...

Gripping stuff!

8/10