bookworm44's 2008 Reading List

bookworm44

Below is my growing list of books I plan on reading this year. The book I'm currently reading is in bold and books I've already read this year are rated out of five.

** Books moved to my 2009 reading list are in green.

1 - Awful! If I didn't have such respect for books, I'd have thrown it at the wall!

2 - Annoying. Wouldn't recommend this.

3 - Average. Didn't sway me one way or another.

4 - Enjoyable. Would definitely recommend it to others.

5 - Excellent! Didn't want to put it down!.

2008 Reading List

1. Minor Characters: A Beat Memoir by Joyce Johnson 4/5

2. PS, I Love You by Cecelia Ahern 4/5

3. Lean Mean Thirteen by Janet Evanovich 3/5

4. Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

5. A Swift Pure Cry by Siobhan Dowd

6. Iceman: My Fighting Life by Chuck Liddell 4/5

7. The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

8. Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog by John Grogan

9. Cocktails for Three by Madeleine Wickham

10. Sammy's Hill by Kristin Gore

11. Everyone Worth Knowing by Lauren Weisberger

12. Running with Scissors: A Memoir by Augusten Burroughs 4/5

13. Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris 4/5

14. Candy Girl: A Year in the Life of an Unlikely Stripper by Diablo Cody 4/5

15. Rosie Dunne by Cecelia Ahern

16. If You Could See Me Now by Cecelia Ahern

17. There's No Place Like Here by Cecelia Ahern

18. Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia by Elizabeth Gilbert 5/5

19. The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella 4/5

20. Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella 5/5

21. Becoming the Natural: My Life In and Out of the Cage by Randy Couture

22. This Is Gonna Hurt: The Life of a Mixed Martial Arts Champion by Tito Ortiz

23. Love the One You're With by Emily Giffin

24. Fearless Fourteen by Janet Evanovich 4/5

25. Bringing Down the House: The Inside Story of Six M.I.T. Students Who Took Vegas for Millions by Ben Mezrich

26. My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands by Chelsea Handler

27. Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea Handler

28. The Space Between Us by Thrity Umrigar 5/5

29. After You'd Gone by Maggie O'Farrell

30. Naked by David Sedaris

31. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski

Edited by bookworm44

10. Sammy's Hill by Kristen Gore

This one's actually very funny! It's chick-lit at its very definition, but also at its best. I loved this. (warning: reading this book makes you very neurotic with text messages and emails.)

flowersarah, I haven't read Undomestic Goddess or Remember Me? yet. As soon as I do, I'll be sure to let you know if they were any good.

ii, thanks for the warning about Sammy's Hill. =)

Reading List 2008

Everyone Worth Knowing by Lauren Weisberger- I thought this was kind ok but very similar to 'devil wears prada'!

Rosie Dunne by Cecelia Ahern- otherwise known as 'where a rainbow ends' this is my fav of hers!

If You Could See Me Now by Cecelia Ahern- bit weird but was good overall.

Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella- I liked this alot!

Kelly, I was worried that Everyone Worth Knowing would be similar to Devil Wears Prada, but I'll have to give it a try anyway since I already bought it. =(

Have you read Cecelia Ahern's newest book There's No Place Like Here? I don't know anyone who's read it and the reviews I saw were mixed.

I think I'll start Undomestic Goddess next since everyone who's read it seems to have liked it.

• 2 weeks later...

Overall I really liked The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella. Yes, the story was a bit far-fetched, but I loved the characters. Had I not been disappointed by the ending I would have given the book a 5/5, but it really left me wanting more, so it gets a 4/5. I'd recommend it if your looking for a quick, fun summer read. =)

Edited by bookworm44

I'm giving Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris a 4/5. It wasn't the funniest book I ever read, but some of his essays had me laughing so hard that I'd recommend it. I'll probably be adding some of his other books to my reading list as well.

I'd certainly recommend David Sedaris' Santaland Diaries. It had me laughing out loud (but don't leave it anywhere your maiden aunt ...)

Thanks so much for the recommendation. =)

I see some books on you list that you rated good. Think i have to add some to my tbr pile.

Hope you enjoy them as much as I did. =)

I could not put down The Space Between Us by Thrity Umrigar. This book was so beautifully written, that I felt like I was transported to India and lived the lives of Sera, Bhima, and Maya along with them. Even though the ending left things a bit unfinished, I have to give this book a 5/5. Highly recommended!

I loved Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella from start to finish! This book made me laugh out loud quite a few times and the part with the sunflowers absolutely took my breath away! If you like chick lit, then you have to read this! Definitely a 5/5!

I'd like to state right off the bat that Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs is not, I repeat NOT going to be for everyone. It contains lots of graphic scenes, especially sexually that may offend some people. With that said, I found this book to be interesting and quite disturbing. There were many times during this book where my jaw was just hanging open. I just couldn't believe some of the things this poor kid endured during his childhood. I'm giving this book a 4/5 because overall I did enjoy it and I would definitely recommend this book to the right person.

• 1 month later...

I started reading Sammy's Hill by Kristin Gore towards the end of the summer, but only read about fifty pages before I stopped. Not because I didn't like it, work just got in the way. I was hoping once my students were into the routine I would pick it back up, but now I have another book I want to start. I wouldn't normally do this, but the book I want to read is an Oprah book and I'd like to read it now so I can talk to others about the book and watch the live web cast with the author. So, hopefully I'll be back before the end of the year with a review of Sammy's Hill. =)