Challenges. :)

Ben

I'm very interested in taking part in some of the challenges that are taking place, but I don't really know where to start. I'm not sure which challenges have already started.. or what. Please can someone help me. :tong:

People have just really been setting their own personal challenges and joining in ones that appeal to them.

For example, last year I set myself several challegnes including Classics, Modern Classics and Chunky Reads, with a plan to read at least one of each every month.

I have two ongoing long-term challenges that I'm continuing with - the Olympic Challenge (reading books by authors from every country that takes part in the summer olympics) and the 1001 Challenge (reading all the books listed in the book 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die by Peter Boxall).

Some people like to challegne themselves to read books by a speicif author or from a certain genre that they don't usually read, just to try something a bit different.

The possibilities are endless - go wild and enjoy yourself! :006::tong:

Guest radjack

Great Thread, i was thinking of starting one like this for a while now.

I advise you to join the classic challenge where you have to read at least a classic every month.

Is a great way for young readers (and older ones) to get to know all the fantastic authors that exist.

good readings:readingtwo:

Thank's, I'll get looking around. And, another thing, I was thinking something similar Kell, because I don't get to read different genres.

The beauty of challenges is that you can make them up to suit yourself. There are quite a lot of different challenges floating around in 'blogland', and I have joined a few of them (not officially though) and I have adapted others to suit myself.

I have a couple of genre challenges going - one on sci-fi/fantasy and one on dystopians. I chose the sci-fi/fantasy one because I felt I'd been neglecting the genre and needed a bit of a kick to get going on them. I love reading dystopians beyond all else, and I wanted to step up my reading in that genre as well.

Like Kell, I also have a classics challenge and a 1001 books challenge.

Good luck with whatever challenges you go with!

I'm doing my own challenge this summer, at which I'm failing miserably. I'm reading a selection of Bohemian literature, just as something different. You can find the details here.

I'm doing my own challenge this summer, at which I'm failing miserably. I'm reading a selection of Bohemian literature, just as something different. You can find the details here.

I've never participated in a book challenge before, but this one really appeals to me, Echo, it sounds interesting. I had a quick look at your list of books, and the selection you've put together is great.

I would really like to join you when you read:

A Room of One's Own by Virgina Woolf

Orlando by Virgina Woolf

On the road by Jack Kerouac

Howl by Allen Ginberg

Please let me know when you get to these books.

I'm new to the challenge thing to - I have joined a few "officially", and I have a few that are just personal challenges. I like the concept of a challenge because it gives me something to work towards - my only problem is that they ALL sound interesting, and pretty soon I've got way too many going at once! :D

:) I agree. I've had trouble restricting my number of challenges as well.

My problem with the challenges I chose is that I badly underestimated how many books I would be reading. The challenges are supposed to last all year but I've already completed about half of them and am near completion of a few others. It's not much of a challenge when I'm done so early in the year! :D

I always find it hard to be really organised. I think at the beginning of 2009 I'll start some challenges. :D And keep a list of books that I read.