The Sunday Philosophy Club by Alexander McCall Smith

supergran71

• 6 months later...

I came to this book after reading the first five of the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series, and I thought it was a refreshing change to most of the books I read. The plots are very gentle but the book is thought provoking and engrossing. I've now read all the Isabel Dalhousie series, and eagerly wait for each new book to come out, while I've actually not bothered with any more of the Mma Ramotswe series.

I don't think you necessarily need to have an interest in philosophy, but to get the most out of these books, you have to be take time to think about the moral and ethical dilemmas that face Isabel.

Alexander McCall Smith is a favourite of mine. The only books he has written that I didn't like were Portuguese Irregular Verbs and The Finer Points Of Sausage Dogs. I have also read some of his children's books to my boys, and they were OK, but not as great as Mma Ramotswe,Isabel Dalhousie and the inhabitants of 44 Scotland Street. Although maybe that was because they were genuinely written for children, since my boys seemed to like them and have asked to hear them every now and then.