Warhammer 40,000

Laramie

My friend told me a lot about them and they sounded quite good so I gave one a go; Dead Sky, Black Sun. I wasn't really getting into it and it took me ages to read any at all. I couldn't work out what was wrong with it, so I stuck at it for a while. It wasn't until I got to about page 120 when I realised that the characters had no personality whatsoever. When I had realised this it p:censored:d me off so much I had to give up on it and take it back to the library.

So has anybody else read the Warhammer 40,000 books? What did you think?

My boyfriend reads those. He enjoys them but says they are probably not of much interest to anyone who doesn't know the games, since they supply a lot of back story. He said I wouldn't like them and I believe him :D

The old WH40k books are a bit hit or miss, but you should try the new Horus Heresy books are very character driven and well writeen. Dan Ablett is a good writer, he has even written some of the Dr Who books.

Some are good, others are bad - they do allow for a lot of new authors to make an impact.

Try the Horus Heresy series if your looking for a good read, the first one by Dan Ablett is awesome. Here's the blurb from the back...

"It is the 31st millennium. The forces of humanity have reached the stars. Under the benevolent leadership of the Immortal Emperor and his superhuman sons, the primarchs, the Imperium of Man has stretched out across the galaxy. It is a golden age of discovery and conquest. But now, on the eve of victory, the Emperor leaves the front lines, entrusting the great crusade to his favourite son, Horus. Promoted to Warmaster, can the idealistic Horus carry the Emperor

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think the problem with these is that there's such a depth of back-story to the whole universe that if you're not familiar with them already then a lot of what goes on is not likely to make much sense. That said, some of them are really worth persevering with, and once you get your head around the whole ethos of them they're really quite engrossing. I'd agree with O's that Dan Abnett is great - try the Gaunt's Ghosts series, which I think begins with First and Only.