L's short book list (rest of 2008)

nursenblack

I am currently reading The Third Angel by Alice Hoffman and am almost finished.

Most of my list consists of books that are just sitting on my shelf begging to be read and hopefully I won't disappoint them. The following are in no special order:

Atonement - Ian McEwan

The Monsters of Templeton - Lauren Groff

Middlesex - Jeffery Eugenides

Dandelion Wine - Ray Bradbury (a reread)

Farewell Summer - Ray Bradbury

The Reserve - Russel Banks

Mary Modern - Camille DeAngelis

Garden Spells - Sarah Addison Allen

I'm also in the mood for classics, but i don't know what yet. Not really up for anything heavy at the moment. Maybe something with a similar feel like The Bell Jar but without the suicide (or with) just as long as it's interesting.

I am happy to receive any and all suggestions

I started Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury today. It is a reread for me, but I can't really remember much about it. Although I know I loved it at the time. Hopefully I will feel the same this time around.

After I finish it I'm probably going to begin Farewell Summer by Ray Bradbury, which is supposed to be a sequel to Dandelion Wine.

arrggghh..I feel like such a slug as far as reading goes. I am still not finished with Farewell Summer and right now my TBR pile seems endless, which is really why I kept it short to begin with. So, in attempt to remain positive I'll list the books I've read this year so far

The Other Bolyen Girl - Philippa Gregory

The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox - Maggie O'Farrell

The Third Angel - Alice Hoffman

The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold

Dandelion Wine - Ray Bradbury

The Awakening - Kate Chopin

Grotesque - Natsuo Kirino

The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffengger

Well that's it! Well I better go grab my book.....

arrggghh..I feel like such a slug as far as reading goes. I am still not finished with Farewell Summer and right now my TBR pile seems endless, which is really why I kept it short to begin with. So, in attempt to remain positive I'll list the books I've read this year so far

The Other Bolyen Girl - Philippa Gregory

The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox - Maggie O'Farrell

The Third Angel - Alice Hoffman

The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold

Dandelion Wine - Ray Bradbury

The Awakening - Kate Chopin

Grotesque - Natsuo Kirino

The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffengger

Well that's it! Well I better go grab my book.....

I've read The Other Boleyn Girl and The Time Traveler's Wife. I really enjoyed both of them :)

I've read The Other Boleyn Girl and The Time Traveler's Wife. I really enjoyed both of them :)

I liked them both too. I have to say that I was a little disappointed with the ending the The Time Traveler's Wife, but I guess everything that came before made up for it.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally finished Atonementand have now begun Garden Spellsby Sarah Addison Allen.

Over all I really enjoyed Atonement. I felt that the first few chapters were terribly slow and made me wonder if the rest was worth my time. But it turns out that it was! I give it 8.5/10 due to the slow beginning and what I felt were meaningless details. I definitely want to read more of Ian McEwan's novels.

Garden Spells seems to be a fun and fairly fast read, but I have only read the first chapter.

I finished Garden Spells and it was an enjoyable summer read. The setting is a small town in North Carolina where everyone knows everyone, which includes quirks or abilities certain families possess. The story revolves around the two Waverly sisters, one who has always embraced her family's "gifts", and the other who has not, but returns to the safety of home with her little daughter despite this. It does have similarity to Practical Magic. I thought it was a fun and romantic read.

I have started Middlesex by Jeffery Eugenides. I am only 66 pages in, but I think it is very interesting so far. Some chapters are a bit bogged down with details, but I can't wait to read more.

• 4 weeks later...

I finished Middlesex by Jeffery Eugenides, which was definitely a great novel. The story covers three generations of Calliope Stephanides' family, which includes how a mutated gene and family secret her grandparents carried causes Cal to be born a hermaphrodite. I don't want to give much away, so I'll just say it was very interesting and I highly recommend it to all readers. This is the first novel by Jeffery Eugenides that I have read and would like to check out more of his writing. His Pulitzer for this novel was well deserved.

Now I have begun Twilight by Stephanie Meyer. On chapter 7 and loving it so far! I can't wait to finish.

I have decided to extend my TBR pile. My short list will no longer be so short. It is my goal to finish these before the year ends despite my usual slow to finish trend. The list so far:

Key= Books read Books not read Currently reading

Atonement - Ian McEwan

The Monsters of Templeton - Lauren Groff

Middlesex - Jeffery Eugenides

Dandelion Wine - Ray Bradbury (a reread)

Farewell Summer - Ray Bradbury

The Reserve - Russel Banks

Mary Modern - Camille DeAngelis

Garden Spells - Sarah Addison Allen

Twilight - Stephanie Meyer

New Moon - Stephanie Meyer

Eclipse - Stephanie Meyer

Breaking Dawn - Stephanie Meyer

Harry Potter series (begining with book 2

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets)- J K Rowling

The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy

The Amityville Horror - Jay Anson

Interview With the Vampire - Anne Rice

Emily of New Moon- L M Montgomery

Dawn (series) - V C Andrews

The Sugar Queen - Sarah Addison Allen

Flowers in the Attic (series) V C Andrews

Bound - Sally Gunning

Finished Twilight by Stephenie Meyer and found it to be a very enjoyable read. No wonder this tell of "forbidden love" as become a #1 bestseller. I've ordered the rest of the series and can't wait to receive them.

Now I am starting J.K Rowling's Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. I don't know why I've waited so long to complete the series!