Featured Author - Linda Gillard

Ok, I'm finished! :D

The ending (don't read unless you've read the book!)

Usually, I have a preference for the more unusual endings, but this one did feel right. I did have a feeling that he was alive (because of his body not being found), but I wasn't sure. I was glad he survived, and glad that they both faced up to their feelings for each other.

However, the openness of it all works really well, and is probably why I liked it. At that particular point, all seemed fine, but who knows where they would be in a few months, or years?

What did they ask for in the epilogue, out of interest?

With that said, when is the next book available, Linda? :)

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Michelle that's is so cruel, I'm itching to read the spoiler...but I won't.

<< Just off to see if I can reserve a copy from the library then I won't have to wait too long to read it :)

I forgot to answer another bit of Michelle's post...

The next book, provisionally titled FAMILY SHADOWS, is out next May so you have a long wait for that one I'm afraid!

This is the blurb I've written for it...

Orphaned by drink, drugs and rock n’ roll, Gwen Rowland is invited to spend Christmas at her actor boyfriend Alfie's family home - a ramshackle Tudor manor in Norfolk. She's excited about the prospect of a proper holiday with a proper family, but soon after she arrives, Gwen notices something isn't quite right. Alfie acts strangely towards his family and is reluctant to talk about the past. There's the enigma of an old family photograph and Alfie's mother, a celebrated children's author, keeps to her room, living in a twilight world between past and present, fact and fiction.

When Gwen discovers fragments of forgotten family letters sewn into an old quilt she starts to piece together the jigsaw of the past and realises there's a lot more to the family history than she's been told.

And a lot more to Alfie.

I've put the opening up on my website under News. Go to http://tinyurl.com/r4d8e and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Edited by Linda Gillard

Do you want to borrow?

(Sorry Linda, we're hijacking your thread! ;))

Ooh yes please :lol:

The next book, provisionally titled FAMILY SHADOWS, is out next May so you have a long wait for that one I'm afraid!

Gutted :D 11 months to wait!....sounds like another cracking read though :D

Been to the library to collect A Lifetime Burning, off to start this one very very soon :)

I've talked here about pressure from publishers to produce a book a year. There's also a certain amount of reader pressure... :)

I suppose this is an instance of where publishers and readers are of one accord.

But it begs the Q... If you could have longer (and probably better) books produced every other year, or a shorter book, maybe somewhat rushed, every year, which would you prefer? Is it about quantity or quality?

For a lot of readers I think it's about quantity because we live in a culture where books are "consumed" and disposed of very readily. Not everyone treats books with the respect that I'm sure readers in this forum demonstrate towards them.

We have fast food, fast everything practically. Do you want fast books?

Edited by Linda Gillard

The above comment wasn't serious, because I do prefer quality. For example, I loved the In Death Books by J D Robb, but after a while it really felt as if she was churning them out far too quickly.

Anyone else? :)

I'd have to say I prefer quality over quantity, I'm one of those readers who can re-read books I've enjoyed and would be more inclined to keep a book for that reason.

Jules, if you had trouble putting that one down, try A Lifetime Burning.. that one definitely keeps you turning the pages! :D

You weren't wrong there Michelle :) A gripping read from start to finish.

Glad to hear you enjoyed A LIFETIME BURNING, Jules. :)

Some readers haven't liked the backwards and forwards in time narrative, but perhaps you can see how that gave me scope to manipulate the story so that the reader is kept in suspense about certain key events. I couldn't have done that with a chronological narrative. It was technically a very challenging book to write and trying to keep tabs on everything - 58 years of an extended family's lives - wasn't easy!

Edited by Linda Gillard

I don't think it would have had the same effect if it had been a chronological narrative. The way the story read kept me captivated to the very end. It was a great book and one that I will definately re-read at some point :)

Ps How did you come up with the idea for A Lifetime Burning?

There were two basic ideas that were jumping-off points for A LIFETIME BURNING. One I can mention, the other will have to have a spoiler warning!

The first thing that came to me was Flora's voice: a middle-aged woman, sardonic, blackly comic, very damaged in some way... dead, in fact. I liked the (not very original) idea of opening the book at a family funeral, but decided to have the deceased narrating. I didn't have a story at that point, only a narrator. Once I developed a plot, Flora's voice seemed the obvious one to tell the extraordinary story of the Dunbars.

The other inspiration was a radio interview I heard on John Peel's HOME TRUTHS. A middle-aged woman was speaking and I knew by the end of an interview that her life was a novel. She hadn't talked much about her earlier life, just about how she lived now, but my imagination was able to conjure up a back-story for her and that became Flora's life.

In the interview the woman talked about her life thus:

she was a middle-aged, middle-class vagrant, well-spoken and educated, rather genteel. (She could have been a vicar's wife!) She'd ended up living on the streets through a series of unfortunate circumstances, one thing leading to another on the typical downward spiral that leads to homelessness. She clearly felt abandoned by her family and preferred life on the streets.

John Peel asked her how she thought her family would react to her going public on Radio Four about her vagrancy. He said, "Don't you think your family will feel ashamed?" She paused and then replied, quite calmly, "I do hope so."

That was a novel waiting to be written!

Edited by Linda Gillard

PS

I think A LIFETIME BURNING is a book that repays re-reading. Once you know all the twists you can read it in a "Ohmygod - look out behind you!" sort of way. ;)

One of the things people like about the book when they re-read is discovering that the whole story is already there in the Prologue (which was extremely difficult to write without blowing the plot!)

If you re-read nothing else, take another look at the Prologue. You might be surprised!

Your next one sounds good Linda. Must get on with the other two.

Do you manage a holiday in between all your writing or just allow yourself the odd day off?

No, I don't really have holidays. I travel around the UK quite a bit for author events and writing workshops, so I do get away.

I don't ever stop writing for long. I finished Book 4 a couple of weeks ago and I've already started making notes for Book 5. I'm waiting for a delivery of books so I can start doing some research for it. Usually I have an idea for the next book as I finish writing the previous one. You know how some book lovers worry about being stranded somewhere without anything to read? I worry about not having a book to write. I like to always have one on the go.

I make a point of not working on Christmas Day! ;) The thing is, I don't really see it as work, because there is nothing I would rather be doing.

Edited by Linda Gillard

Have you ever thought about creating a main character and doing a series of books? Or do you prefer doing something different every time?