The man's reading list

beef

I've read five of those (counting Homer's Iliad and Odyssey as one volume even though they were written decades apart...weird...) and have copies of many more items on the list, even though I'm not a man. Least, I wasn't the last time I checked.

Gimme a mo...

Nope, still a bird. :smile2:

I've read 15. I'm more of a man than you are Prospero! :smile2: (Wait, is that something I should be bragging about?) I have quite a few more on my TBR pile.

I think the lists are a little pointless too, but that doesn't stop me poring over every single one I come across. I just love adding up my numbers to see how many I've read :roll:

Quite an interesting list - I'm pleased to see it's not all fiction too.

Have already read: 16

Have on Mount TBR: 6

Want to read a further: 12

Quite an interesting list - I'm pleased to see it's not all fiction too.

Have already read: 16

Have on Mount TBR: 6

Want to read a further: 12

Have already read: 15 (Mainly as part of History degree)

Have on Mount TBR: 0

Want to read a further: 0 !!!!!!!

So am obviously in touch with my feminine side :smile2:

I've actually read quite a few of these, and a lot of the others are on my TBR list. I'm not sure what makes these "manly", other than the fact that most of them are written by men. They just seem like books anyone should read.

I've read 29 of these, astonishingly. It is quite an American-centric list, I think. It is definitely a "masculine" selection of books, though. All the Rider Haggard and Lonesome Dove and Raymond Chandler and Kerouac are all very blokey, I think.

I think there's an astonishing amount of emotional shallowness across these books, too (perhaps Gatsby excluded). It's all pride, anger, ambition, and no little tenderness.

But they're also all pretty entertaining, I'd say.

I've read 29 of these, astonishingly. It is quite an American-centric list, I think. It is definitely a "masculine" selection of books, though. All the Rider Haggard and Lonesome Dove and Raymond Chandler and Kerouac are all very blokey, I think.

I think there's an astonishing amount of emotional shallowness across these books, too (perhaps Gatsby excluded). It's all pride, anger, ambition, and no little tenderness.

But they're also all pretty entertaining, I'd say.

Yeah they are quite shallow, aw well! A girl's list should be made though - if there isn't one I vote we start one!

A girl's list should be made though - if there isn't one I vote we start one!

I'll get my mind into this one, I already thought about it earlier (see above)... I need distraction, we just lost to Russia. I need something to get me in a happy mode in case BF needs me...

I'll get my mind into this one, I already thought about it earlier (see above)... I need distraction, we just lost to Russia. I need something to get me in a happy mode in case BF needs me...

Excellent, keep us posted on what books you pick!

Excellent, keep us posted on what books you pick!

Well, I was actually thinking bigger than that I was thinking creating a site like theirs was, only about how to be a woman. I mean, everyne knows that's much more complicated than being a man! But I'll let it brew in my head for a while, it could turn out to be nothing but another avoiding-school-work thought...

I have read 14 of them. I am a bit surprised I have read so many. A lot I want to read one day, a couple I wouldn't even listen to if someone else was reading them, and a few I have never heard of before.

But only for men? Nah. Read what you like. As others have said all this must do list stuff really is one person's opinion. Fortunately we are all different.

Edited by Roger53

• 1 year later...