Kate's Reading

Kate

I have just finished Ben Elton's Past Mortem, which although is not one of his more famous book, is a thoroughly good read.

Here is the synopsis from Amazon:

With old friends like these, who needs enemies? It's a question short, mild mannered detective Edward Newson is forced to ask himself having in romantic desperation logged on to the Friends Reunited website searching for the girlfriends of his youth. Newson is not the only member of the Class of '86 who has been raking over the ashes of the past. As his old class begins to reassemble in cyberspace, the years slip away and old feuds and passions burn hot once more. Meanwhile, back in the present, Newson's life is no less complicated. He is secretly in love with Natasha, his lovely but very attached sergeant, while comprehensively failing to solve a series of baffling and peculiarly gruesome murders. A school reunion is planned and as history begins to repeat itself, the past crashes headlong into the present. Neither will ever be the same again. In Past Mortem, Ben Elton - previous winner of The Crime Writers' Association Gold Dagger Award for Popcorn - delivers both a heart-stopping thriller and a killer comic romance.

This was a great book, a proper page turner. I felt connected to the characters, and was wondering about their lives all the way through the book. It was an easy and entertaining read, much like his other books. Elton touches on the issue of bullying and the effects it has on people in a startling way. Although I was aware of bullying, having experienced a bit of it myself, he certainly enlightened me as to what it could do to someone's life in the long run. I read this book in a matter of days, and was gripped until the end, although I had worked out who the murderer was.

However, as much as I enjoyed this book, along with the gruesome and detailed murders, which did not bother me, there were graphic sex scenes which I did not like, and which mean I won't be passing this book on to my Mum to read.

7/10 - would be higher if the sex was not so detailed and sometimes scary

I have now read three books this month.

Please also note my two websites have been updated today.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have just finished Ben Elton's Past Mortem, which although is not one of his more famous book, is a thoroughly good read.

However, as much as I enjoyed this book, along with the gruesome and detailed murders, which did not bother me, there were graphic sex scenes which I did not like, and which mean I won't be passing this book on to my Mum to read.

I loved this book, have just read Chart Throb and that was as clever. I really enjoy is satire towards modern society!

I gave my dad A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon before I read it and when I had read it wanted to get it back for the same reasons, we never mention it

I am halfway through Joanne Harris's Lollipop Shoes and have decided to stop reading. It is about magic and wicca and using it to influence people and that is not something I want to read about. Therefore, it is going back to the library.

I am now going to start the June reading: Tom Wolfe, The Bonfire of the Vanities but as it is Huge! I am going to put Jodi Picoult Plain Truth in my bag for my reading whilst out!

OK I've had a change of heart, I don't want to read the book club book now so am going to read Anabel Donald's Be Nice. Never read any of her works before so this should be interesting. It is only 230 pages so shouldn't take too long to read, I hope!

Yesterday I finished Be Nice, by Anabel Donald. Here is the synopsis from Amazon:

'Ever read Lord of the Files?' said Rohini. 'Of course. Set book, year ten. And...?' 'Same situation.' 'Different gender.' A plane crashes on an uninhabited island in the South Pacific. On it are thirty English girls between the ages of eleven and eighteen, winners of a competition organised by a company selling feminine hygiene products. Each has had to write an essay on her aspirations, subsequently posted on her own website. Twenty-one of the girls survive and, when no rescue comes, are compelled to devise their own rules in order to stay alive. A brilliant reworking of Golding's classic novel, in Be Nice Anabel Donald takes us into the minds of her teenage characters as they play out a struggle that is as old as the human race and as new as the Internet.

I enjoyed this book. It only took me a day to read. The writing style was very simple as it is narrated by teenagers, and often the spelling was how 11 year olds would spell. There were some very funny lines in the book. Donald touches on issues such as death, the dynamics of teenage girls, sexuality and abandonment very well.

For a quick fun read I recommend this!

8/10

I have just finished Jodi Picoult's Plain Truth. This is only the second of her novels that I have read, but like Nineteen Minutes, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Amazon synopsis:

The discovery of a dead infant in an Amish barn shakes Lancaster County to its core. But the police investigation leads to a more shocking disclosure: circumstantial evidence suggests that eighteen-year-old Katie Fisher, an unmarried Amish woman believed to be the newborn's mother, took the child's life. When Ellie Hathaway, a disillusioned big city attorney, comes to Paradise, Pennsylvania, to defend Katie, two cultures collide and, for the first time in her high profile career, Ellie faces a system of justice very different from her own. Delving deep into the world of those who live 'plain', Ellie must find a way to reach Katie on her terms. As she unravels a tangled murder case, Ellie also looks deep within to confront her own fears and desires when a man from her past comes back into her life.

I was completely hooked by this book from the opening page. The story is full of love, court room drama, murder and faith. I have no idea if what Picoult writes about the Amish is correct, but it certainly opened my eyes a little bit. I had a go at guessing the end, which I got wrong, but on reflection I should have seen coming. However, that does not affect the story at all. I found myself loving the characters, sympathising with them, wishing I had some of that Amish peace and thinking about the story when I wasn't reading the book. In fact, I am still reflecting now. I was even getting angry at the prosecution in the court! I felt like I was there watching, I love a book where I feel like I'm involved. I loved the ending.

I had initially thought that Katie's father did the killing, but it turned out to be her mother, who was just trying to hold onto the only child she had left. I found that just so touching.

There was excitment on virtually every page. I can only highly recommend this book.

9/10

Next book: Ira Levin - The Stepford Wives

Today I read The Stepford Wives. It did not take long, it was only 116 pages. It was certainly odd. There was something creepy about how the women spent a weekend alone with the men and were transformed. I was a bit disappointed that we weren't told how the women changed. It was quite fast paced but I didn't like how Levin skipped over months in a paragraph with almost a list of what happened. To me, the book just wasn't finished.

6/10

Next: Ian McEwan - Enduring Love

It was quite fast paced but I didn't like how Levin skipped over months in a paragraph with almost a list of what happened. To me, the book just wasn't finished.

It's been awhile since I read it, but I remember getting a similar impression. I hate an ending that leaves me disappointed or that lacks explanations.

Oh good, I'm glad it wasn't just me who felt like that about the book!

Here is my TBR list, as scary as it is. The books are in no particular order:

Penney: The Tenderness of Wolves

Haddon: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time

Zusak: The Book Thief

Levy: Small Island

Adams: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Roberts: Blue Smoke

Gale: Notes from an Exhibition

Harris: Holy Fools

Gregory:Wideacre

Gregory: Favoured Child

Gregory: Meridon

Ahern: PS I Love You

Thomas: Potter's House

Murray: Orphan of Angel Street

Dunn: The Sixth Wife

Bayley: Iris

Hybels: Becoming A Contagious Christian

Anthony: Taming The Tiger

Jacobs: The Friday Night Knitting Club

Bosanko: A Nice Girl Like Me

Picoult: My Sister's Keeper

Driscoll: Confessions of a Reformission Rev.

Chapman: The Innkeeper's Diary

Chevalier: Girl With a Pearl Earring

Ramsay: Humble Pie

Cornwall: The Last Kingdom

Cornwall: The Pale Horseman

Cornwall: The Lord's of the North

Min: Empress Orchid

Cornwell: Harlequin

Williams: I'm Not Supposed to Feel Like This

J. John: Ten

Today I have listened to William Makepeace Thackery's Vanity Fair.

What can I say? I loved it!! I found myself favouring characters such as Amelia and Captian Dobbin and loathing selfish characters like Rebecca. In my opinion, she should of had a more devastating downfall. I was pleased with how Dobbin's character ended

with him marrying Amelia, the girl he had always loved. I didn't like how George cheated on Amelia though.

Amelia seemed such a naive girl, I could only feel sorry for her. I liked the contrast between her and Rebecca however, who seemed very worldly. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, it did not take long to listen too, however I imagine reading it would have taken me a lot longer! I'm not much of a classics reader but if they are all this good, you won't be able to keep me off them!

9/10

I have also updated my history sites with some essays if anyone wants to read them...?

I've had Vanity Fair on my TBR pile for such a long time. I bought a pretty run-down copy and have since decided that I don't like it and want to buy a brand new one to do justice to the book. ;)

I don't believe it, I have finished another book! I have just listened to The Great Gatsby. It was a re-read, I read it a few years ago while I was at college. Again, I enjoyed it. I love the seemingly curious character of Gatsby and his love for Daisy moved me. The way he was pining after her after 5 years apart was sweet (no he wasn't stalking her though! He merely lived near her in case of a chance-glance) . I love the description of his house. I have in my mind the image of this huge, stone house towering over all the little houses set around it, rather daunting all the people who live in those respected homes. Fitzgerald does touch on the American Dream, how Gatsby changed his name to change his destiny, but we see that even with the money, success and the nice house what he wants he doesn't have. It brings the American Dream into question: how realistic is it?

I enjoyed this book. I liked the characters and there were a few lines which had me chuckling. A definite must-read.

8/10

I am trying to read Ian McEwan's Enduring Love. I am a chapter in and am already struggling with it. Would it be bad to give up already?!

Well, it's in the running to become the July Reading Circle book, although it's a few votes behind. Feel free to cast your vote here. I really want to re-read it too. I enjoyed your review, KB!

Over the past few days I have been listening to Jane Austen's Mansfield Park. To be honest, I didn't enjoy it that much. The heroine, Fanny, was a weak character, easily influenced and manipulated. It annoyed me that she didn't have her own thoughts or physical stamina to cope with a long walk. The ending came as no surprise really.

I thought it was clear that the Chadwick's would turn out to be nasty and heart breakers, and I felt it obvious that Fanny loved Edmund more than just as a brother/cousin. Their marriage came as no surprise whatsoever.

I feel disappointed by this book as their was no definitive storyline. I felt Austen was writing more about the social culture of the time, with women being gossipers and gold-diggers and men either being in the army/navy or clergyman than actually telling a story. That said, it was interesting to look at how life would have been, but I did not find the story that interesting. A bit of a let down really.

6/10

I have just listened to Larry Niven's There's A Wolf in My Time Machine. I was intrigued by the title but should have left it alone really. It was a short story, but it lacked any depth. I felt nothing for the main character at all. Basically, he is a time traveller who picks up a wolf, gets pulled into an alternative world, meets werewolves and trolls and goes home. There just wasn't anything there of interest really. Niven could have easily expended the story, made it an adventure. Instead, it was just a meeting and an easy escape. Nothing exciting at all. I wouldn't recommend it.

2/10

Well I only work part time and am off sick a lot with my panic attacks so I get a lot of time to read/listen.

At the minute, I am currently reading Two Caravans by Marina Lewycka and am listening to Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials. Although the latter is a re-read.

When I read at night in bed I only read Christian books. This is my TBR Christian book list:

Bill Hybels: Becoming a Contagious Christian

Tony Anthony: Taming the Tiger

Mark Driscoll: Confessions of a Reformission Rev.

J John: Ten

Chris Williams: I'm Not Supposed to Feel Like This

Lee Strobel: The Case for Faith

I have just finished Joyce Meyer: The Confident Woman

This is the synopsis from Amazon:

"'There is a wonderful plan for your life. You can hold your head up high and be filled with confidence about yourself and your future. You can be bold and step out to do new things - even things no man or woman has done before.' 'You have what it takes!'". The "Confident Woman" will enable you to live with purpose and fulfil your true potential. Joyce Meyer's number one "New York Times" bestselling book: Gives you the keys to living a life of confidence and independence. It shows why you can live without fear, and helps you overcome the barriers of the world's false expectations and the emotional damage of abuse. It identifies the 'Seven Secrets of a Confident Woman' Joyce writes with the benefit of over three decades ministering to women. The message in this book is based on her personal journey from insecurity and self-hatred - caused by childhood abuse - to a life characterised by inspiring confidence and realising her full potential.

I enjoyed this book and found it very helpful. It uses Scripture and real life stories to motivate and to explain how to get out depression, fear, lack of confidence etc. Through the truth expressed in her words and the Bible passages I have found I am able to go out when I feel panicky, and when I'm dreading something to just go ahead and do it.

I recommend this book, even if you don't feel low or anything, because everyone feels scared or shy at some point in their life and this has had a profound affect on my life, I feel better for having read it.

9/10

If anyone wants to borrow the book, PM me :)

A few days ago I started listening to Emma by Jane Austen. I finished it this morning and enjoyed it. I love how this book could so easily relate to our culture now, with people not wanting to marry, to friends setting up friends, the fickleness of some characters (Harriott for example), the ones who cry at every touch and turn and the pompous characters who believe the world revolves around them. As always with Austen there were lines that made me giggle, and I always think humour in a book is good. I enjoyed the familiar line that Austen's heroine, Emma goes against the mould of society of her time and refuses to marry unless she is in love and also refuses to let her friends marry lower than she thinks is good enough for them. She shows great courage to stand out against the crowd.

And as always, I like the reference to music and balls, makes me want to go and experience them!

A thoroughly enjoyable classic :)

9/10 - not as good as Pride and Prejudice in my opinion.

I have just finished Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier.

Here is the synopsis from Amazon:

Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again ...Working as a lady's companion, the heroine of Rebecca learns her place. Life begins to look very bleak until, on a trip to the South of France, she meets Maxim de Winter, a handsome widower whose sudden proposal of marriage takes her by surprise. She accepts, but whisked from glamorous Monte Carlo to the ominous and brooding Manderley, the new Mrs de Winter finds Max a changed man. And the memory of his dead wife Rebecca is forever kept alive by the forbidding Mrs Danvers ...Not since Jane Eyre has a heroine faced such difficulty with the Other Woman. An international bestseller that has never gone out of print, Rebecca is the haunting story of a young girl consumed by love and the struggle to find her identity.

My Mum recommended this book to me and I had tried it before. This time I actually got to the end! I found it quite a chilling book, which included murder, suicide and fire. I didn't know what to expect when I picked this up but I did enjoy it. I was gripped from the beginning and was surprised by the twist.

I probably should have guessed that Max killed Rebecca. I was a bit saddened by the fact Rebecca was painted as a mean, cheating woman but never mind

. The character I loved was Ben, who we saw down the beach. I found the new Mrs de Winter to be a pushover and weak, although she did come out of herself a bit by the end. I would recommend this book.

8/10