Kate's Reading

Kate

Currently I am reading Jodi Picoult, 'Nineteen Minutes'. I have never read one of her books before but saw it in the library as a Top 10 so thought I'd give it a shot, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm 200 pages in and can't put it down. :D

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:D Hi Kate,

I have 'Nineteen Minutes' waiting on my Mount TBR, really looking forward to starting it.

If you enjoy Jodi Picoults work I would highly recommend you try ' My Sisters Keeper' (my favourite) 'The Pact' and 'Plain Truth'.

KxXx

Oooh loads! My favourite books this year so far are ~

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell

But the beauty of this forum is that there are so many recommendations and reviews, have a look round :D

I saw the Book Thief in the shop, what is it about?

I didn't like the Kite Runner much. I have been enjoying Philippa Gregory's books recently, and Ben Elton

Well I have finished Nineteen Minutes, and I loved it. It was a really good read, that I am still thinking about. Although it was a long book, I was gripped and read the last 200 pages in a day. A bit of a twist at the end that I didn't see coming but made the book even more interesting. I loved the characters and the way you jumped from past to present so you understood the background. I even found myself being sympathetic towards the shooter. This book comes highly recommened.

8 1/2 /10

I am now going to read a Quick Read:

Maeve Binchy 'Star Sullivan'

I will also take this time to do my TBR list, so here goes:

- Nora Roberts: Blue Smoke

- John Bayley: Iris

- Jane Austen: Emma

- Dunn: The Sixth Wife

- Karen Joy Fowler - The Jane Austen Book Club

- Patrick Gale: Notes From An Exhibition

- Philippa Gregory: Wideacre

- Philippa Gregory: The Favoured Child

- Philippa Gregory: Meridon

- Ben Elton: Past Mortem

- Joanna Harris: Holy Fools

- Dan Brown: Deception Point

- John Grisham: The Client

- Wilde: The Picture of Dorian Gray

- Shelley: Frankenstein

- Alexandra Potter: Me and Mr Darcy

Yep, quite a few!

Oh haven't heard of that one, I have read quite a few of his though and enjoyed them.

Fab choice. I read that last year and loved it. (But beware of about 10 pages of longwindedness near the middle which I had to skim read)

I think as classics go it's not too bad. I struggle a bit myself to be honest (I've never for example managed to get to the end of a Jane Austen) but its a shortish book. I couldn't keep a handle on all of the characters all of the time but I don't think it matters. The main thread of the story was gripping enough to keep my interest all the way through (apart from the pretty dense section of descriptions towards the middle.

Happy reading :D

I finished "Star Sulliven" in an afternoon. And honestly, I was so disappointed. It was about a happy, helpful girl with a difficult family who changes when a boy moves next door. There wasn't much of a story line and it was very simple language. I didn't think it flowed too well and the whole book just left me longing for more.

3/10

I'm now reading "The Jane Austen Book Club" by Katie Joy Fowler

I'm now reading "The Jane Austen Book Club" by Katie Joy Fowler

Interested to see how you get on with that one, have to say it was one I gave up on.

Well I hate to admit it, I gave up on The Jane Austin Book Club. It was boring, the characters were not interesting and she jumped around so much I frequently did not know what was going on. I found it a real let down.

2/10

I am now going to read Tracy Chevalier: Burning Bright

Synopsis from Amazon:

The new top ten bestselling novel from the much loved author of Girl with a Pearl Earring Flames and funerals, circus feats and seduction, neighbours and nakedness: Tracy Chevalier's new novel 'Burning Bright' sparkles with drama. London 1792. The Kellaways move from familiar rural Dorset to the tumult of a cramped, unforgiving city. They are leaving behind a terrible loss, a blow that only a completely new life may soften. Against the backdrop of a city jittery over the increasingly bloody French Revolution, a surprising bond forms between Jem, the youngest Kellaway boy, and streetwise Londoner Maggie Butterfield. Their friendship takes a dramatic turn when they become entangled in the life of their neighbour, the printer, poet and radical, William Blake. He is a guiding spirit as Jem and Maggie navigate the unpredictable, exhilarating passage from innocence to experience. Their journey inspires one of Blake's most entrancing works. Georgian London is recreated as vividly in Burning Bright as 17th-century Delft was in Tracy Chevalier's bestselling masterpiece, Girl with a Pearl Earring.

Books read since joining: 3

Well my TBR list is growing steadily :welcome2: but I will update it when I finish my book. I'm still reading Burning Bright but I am loving it. It is about a family in the 1790s who move from the country to London and get involved with Mr. William Blake and the circus. It is so well written and gripping. I'm tempted to get back to reading it now

Ooo this is my 100th post! How exciting!

I have just finished reading Burning Bright. This is the blurb from http://www.amazon.co.uk:

The new top ten bestselling novel from the much loved author of Girl with a Pearl Earring Flames and funerals, circus feats and seduction, neighbours and nakedness: Tracy Chevalier's new novel 'Burning Bright' sparkles with drama. London 1792. The Kellaways move from familiar rural Dorset to the tumult of a cramped, unforgiving city. They are leaving behind a terrible loss, a blow that only a completely new life may soften. Against the backdrop of a city jittery over the increasingly bloody French Revolution, a surprising bond forms between Jem, the youngest Kellaway boy, and streetwise Londoner Maggie Butterfield. Their friendship takes a dramatic turn when they become entangled in the life of their neighbour, the printer, poet and radical, William Blake. He is a guiding spirit as Jem and Maggie navigate the unpredictable, exhilarating passage from innocence to experience. Their journey inspires one of Blake's most entrancing works. Georgian London is recreated as vividly in Burning Bright as 17th-century Delft was in Tracy Chevalier's bestselling masterpiece, Girl with a Pearl Earring.

I really enjoyed this book. The characters are gripping and interesting. I loved Mr. Blake! What a guy! I admire him for standing up for what he believes in.

It was extremely well written and flowed easily. I was not lost or confused, which always helps! I was gripped from the first page.

My only criticism is the ending. It ended quite abruptly, however I can see how that fits with the story.

I highly recommend this book to everyone. biggrin.gif

My rating: 9/10

Thought I would quickly update the list!

Here we go:

Nora Roberts: Blue Smoke

- John Bayley: Iris

- Jane Austen: Emma

- Dunn: The Sixth Wife

- Karen Joy Fowler - The Jane Austen Book Club

- Patrick Gale: Notes From An Exhibition

- Philippa Gregory: Wideacre

- Philippa Gregory: The Favoured Child

- Philippa Gregory: Meridon

- Joanna Harris: Holy Fools

- Dan Brown: Deception Point

- John Grisham: The Client

- Shelley: Frankenstein

- Alexandra Potter: Me and Mr Darcy

- Anabel Donald: Be Nice

- Maeve Binchy: Whitethorn Woods

- Kate Jacobs: Friday Night Knitting Club

- Abigail Bosanko: A Nice Girl Like Me

I am about to start reading Kate Morton's The House At Riverton, which is the Reading Circle's May book

Well I hate to admit it, I gave up on The Jane Austin Book Club. It was boring, the characters were not interesting and she jumped around so much I frequently did not know what was going on. I found it a real let down.

2/10

It wasn't just me then :welcome2:

Also agree with the Reading Group read...it was a lot better.

I am about to start reading Kate Morton's The House At Riverton, which is the Reading Circle's May book

I have just started this one too, quite enjoying it. Big read though!

OK I'm now reading four books hehe! Along with the May reading circle book I'm reading:

The Memory Keeper's Daugher: Kim Edwards

The Confident Woman: Joyce Meyer

Battle For The Mind: David Holden

The Memory Keeper's Daughter

I loved this book! It was truely amazing. Here is the blurb from Amazon:

Families have secrets they hide even from themselves... It should have been an ordinary birth, the start of an ordinary happy

family. But the night Dr David Henry delivers his wife's twins is a night

that will haunt five lives for ever.

For though David's son is a healthy boy, his daughter has Down's syndrome.

And, in a shocking act of betrayal whose consequences only time will

reveal, he tells his wife their daughter died while secretly entrusting her

care to a nurse.

As grief quietly tears apart David's family, so a little girl must make her

own way in the world as best she can.

I found myself falling in love with the characters, thinking about them when I wasn't reading the book, and eager to know what was happening with the characters when reading about the other family. The descriptions were beautiful and the characters easy to connect with. I loved the ending too,

when the twins were reunited, it was so touching

. I read this book very quickly and easily. Even though I finished the book a couple of days ago I am still thinking about it. This book will stay with me a long time I think. I highly recommend this moving book.

10/10

I have now read 5 books since joining this site :tong::friends0:

The next book for my bag is Ben Elton's Past Mortem

• 2 weeks later...