Sue Townsend - The Queen And I

Tash

Comedy genre, totally, absolutely, no question!!

ISBN: 0-7493-1352-8

I read this book for the first time whilst on holiday in Tunisia and was laughing so much I ended up having to read it aloud to the people sitting near me!! The Germans there were in hysterics.

Anyhoo....

I'm sure you all remember Sue Townsend from her Adrian Mole series. Forget them! Yes, they were very good but this book is the ultimate in comedy.

In a nutshell, the Royal Family are kicked out of Buckingham Palace. They are sent to live on a council estate in the Midlands.

Prince Charles ends up in prison, Diana has an affair with a slob, Phillip refuses to leave his bed, the corgis become rebels and join up with the local 'doggie gang' and the Queen ends up queuing for the dole!

Seriously, it is hilarious from start to finish and with the delicious wit of Sue Townsend, I guarantee you'll not read this without a grin.

Guest Anonymous

LOL Michelle, me too !!!

I thought having Tash as a book loving friend was bad enough..... :wink: , but now I see this book obsession of mine getting even worse, hehehe :D

• 3 years later...

I listened to this on audio (in my car) and almost drove off the road. Hilarious, just hilarious. I ought to get the book and see if it's even funnier when read.

I've never read her Mole stories, but my daughter thought they were fabulous; then I read Number 10 (I think that's the right title), and it was good, but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as Queen.

Sue Townsend's Adrian Mole books are superb! I'm currently re-reading the whole series (I'm up to The Cappuccino Years).

I loved The Queen and I too. Absolutely hilarious, brilliant satire, with a lot of serious comment lurking just below the surface, but it's never preachy. Great stuff. :)

The only one of Townsend's I've read that I was a bit disappointed with was Number 10.

• 2 months later...

I experienced the Queen and I when I was only about 12 and found it hilarious even then so dearly want to read it again (actually I lie, I cheated and listened to the audio version the first time around) and find out what went over my head the first time round...!

• 3 weeks later...

Sue Townsend became one of my favorite writers after I read Adrian Mole. I also enjoyed 'Public Confessions of a Middle-aged Woman' very much. Difficult not to laugh out loud. I haven't read her other books yet.

A few weeks ago, I was in a book store and noticed her name on a book. I was excited and immediately grabbed it, because it was the section of the book store where you can find many books which cost a bit less. I was surprised to see the title, 'The Queen and I'. Hesitating to buy that I put it back. Didn't seem like a topic for her and I wondered if it would be as funny as what I had read until now.

But the reviews here seem pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I've enjoyed every Townsend book I've read so far. My daughter is 13 now and I wanted her to discover Townsend. I was a little older than her when I first read the Adrian Mole series. It was nice reading them to her, gave me a chance to rediscover that fun. I haven't read the 'Queen and I' yet, but it certainly is a must read for me. I'll have to make sure to read it only at home, because so far every single Townsend book, be it an Adrian Mole or Number 10, made me laugh out loud. :D