Peter James - Host

Tash

This fiction book falls into the 'horror' genre.

ISBN: 0-45-117995-1

I love all of Peter James books, however this one rates among my all time favourites.

Host is a story about a scientist, Joe Messenger, and his determination to find the key to immortality.

His father was cryogenically 'preserved' and as a result of an administration failing within the holding company, was 'defrosted' before Joe could do anything to prevent it. Being determined not to let this happen again, he combines cryogenics with artificial intelligence with the hope that he can cheat death.

A new student arrives at his facility, Juliet Spring....boing.....and it seems that she may hold the key to his success with the knowledge of downloading the human mind into a computer.

Inevitably the couple become 'involved' and sinister things begin to happen at the workplace and at Joe's own home. His own obsession with his quest puts his loved ones in mortal danger and has you sitting on the edge of your seat as you pant and run with him to prevent further tragedy.

Although this book covers technical things such as A.I. and cryogenics in reasonable depth, it is written in a way that is easy to understand and incredibly eye opening.

On more than one occasion, this book sent shivers down my spine and it is one that once you have read it, you won't forget it!

No review could ever do this book justice in my personal opinion.

I read The Truth a number of years back and liked it. I think I may have read Denial too, but not too sure. Just looked him up on Amazon and am adding some of his books to my list

• 2 months later...

Inanna it's a really good read, I'm over 3/4 way through now. Even though it was written in 1993 it's not way out of time if you know what I mean.

• 1 month later...

I loved this book, the story is incredibly original. I devoured all 624 pages in quite a short time (esp considering the time I am busy doing other things at the moment) I would have liked another 100 pages or so afterwards too - to explain some more things. (Tash did you feel the need to know more - why Joe kept both tapes for example, and why he never downloaded his own one into Archive?)