I should have done this ages ago!

themightypuma

Hi everyone. I have just joined as I got to bursting point about not having anyone to chat to about what I'm reading!

Let's get the standard likes list out of the way:

I love Martin Amis, Philip Roth, Julian Barnes, Ian McEwan (just read on Chesil Beach), J.M.Coetzee, Malcolm Lowry, Margaret Atwood, Graham Greene, Joan Didion, Ian Fleming and many many more.

I am a big film fan too and love to cook, I have degrees in Philosophy and love travelling. In fact I am just back from a trip to China on which I gorged myself on Dim Sum and 1000 year eggs. I am sure I shall get to know many of you via my late night rants and your more measured and insightful comments about them.

I would also like to perhaps set up book rant dinners in restaurants in the London/South East area of England. But that is juat a thought at this time. If anyone is interested in the idea though do speak up.

:tong::)

Hi Puma and welcome :tong: What are 1000 year eggs like? They sounds disgusting, and having just looked at them on Wikipedia they look disgusting too. Do they smell like stink bombs? :)

1000 year eggs are available in almost all convenience stores and cost 0.6 yuan or RMB thats about 4.5 pence in sterling or 9 cents in dollars - they have an initially unusual flavour that becomes addictive. They are particularly nice when served in Ramen noodle based soups. They taste a lot better than they look. The bullfrog in a stone pot was the most challenging thing I ate while out there and believe me I have very adventurous tastes so if I tell you its challenging I'm not lieing.

1000 year eggs are available in almost all convenience stores and cost 0.6 yuan or RMB thats about 4.5 pence in sterling or 9 cents in dollars - they have an initially unusual flavour that becomes addictive. They are particularly nice when served in Ramen noodle based soups. They taste a lot better than they look. The bullfrog in a stone pot was the most challenging thing I ate while out there and believe me I have very adventurous tastes so if I tell you its challenging I'm not lieing.

Wow. I can't imagine eating anything like that, you must have adventurous taste buds ;)