Audiobooks?

Michelle

I found the thread about free audiobooks here and I thought I might give it a try just to get some hearing practice in English.

I think, I'd have to listen more than once, she's reading quite fast.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have also found them handy on long road trips and a solace during bouts of insomnia.

Oh me too .. I don't know where I'd be without audiobooks keeping me company in the middle of the night ... much better than TV cos TV is usually either mind numbingly dull or frightening in the wee hours.

• 2 weeks later...

I began using them as a way to get trough my school literature faster. I found that most of the things we had to read for school were mind numbingly dull and I was bored to tears reading books that did not line up with my interests at all. I've also a really bad pair of eyes (I will never drive a car for example) and reading at the bad light in classrooms only gave me worlds meanest headache. My dad granted me an MP3-player for my birthday and by using it to put books on I could pick up on the story and characters when on my bike, shopping, doing chores or doing detention. I still use it at times for long car trips or when I'm drawing.

I do find that a audiobook can be made or ruined by the one who reads it. Many sound like a robot has gotten a particular bored AI to read for him. My personal favorite reader is the Dutch Jan Meng. He has read the entire Harry Potter series among other things. It was my way of getting my family to read/listen to the books while in the car. They loved it and my mom is now a hardcore fan. Besides that, I prever an British accent over an American one with the exception when the text is overly "American".

• 1 month later...

I have two series of audio books on my laptop - the Harry Potter series by JK Rowling, which I have previously read in print various times, and the Sookie Stackhouse novels by Charlaine Harris. Both narrators, Stephen Fry and Johanna Parker, are very talented and do a remarkeable job. It must be a lot of hard work and require so much preparation to get the voices of different characters down, and then the stress on the words, the fluency, etc.

I used to have them on my iPod, but it's only 4gb so when I wanted to put some new music on it, they were the first to go. My problem with audio books is mainly that I get very distracted listening to them. I can't just sit down and listen to something. I also like to have the visual book so I can re-read a sentence easily, while rewinding a recorded version takes a lot more effort. You have to find the starting point, etc. I also have a visual memory and find it hard to follow a long story when narrated.

But kuods to those narrators who do such a good job!

• 2 weeks later...

Resaleebook. Yes I know. I'm one of those people :P Though the voice/readers are often not people who are really associated to the movie, if there is one. Those who are read by known actors are often horribly abridged.

Edited by Argon9

o.O By Hawkings chair! how is one of those things making audiobooks better! (isn't that painful?)

They are relaxing. You can't be tense in your body when laying on one. When you are relaxed, it doesn't hurt. So after 30 minutes on it, I am really sleepy! Takes about 5 minutes to fall asleep when removing the bed of nails. I love it.

Although keep in mind that there are different kinds of these. Some are pointier than others. Mine is medium.

• 1 month later...

Like most of you have already said, audiobooks are amazing when for some reason (be it specific conditions, or just an attempt at multitasking... :D) reading is made impossible. I have to admit, I would always rather read at my own pace, as I often find myself re-reading passages that are key to the storyline, or simply parts that are in my opinion amazingly written, over and over again.

Jeremy Clarkson has just brought out a new Top Gear book so I will be buying my first Audiobook for my Husband at christmas as he has severe dyslexia and when he attempts to read he usualy makes up the story as he goes along, which is fun for him *sigh* but annoying for me when I'm trying to get him interested.

I'm hoping that having the book as an audio version will tempt him to try out other audio books.

Jeremy Clarkson has just brought out a new Top Gear book so I will be buying my first Audiobook for my Husband at christmas as he has severe dyslexia and when he attempts to read he usualy makes up the story as he goes along, which is fun for him *sigh* but annoying for me when I'm trying to get him interested.

I'm hoping that having the book as an audio version will tempt him to try out other audio books.

Good idea, my nephew has severe dyslexia and he gets on famously with audiobooks. Good luck :) I like the sound of your husband's alternative stories though, wouldn't mind betting he's improved a lot of them :D

Good idea, my nephew has severe dyslexia and he gets on famously with audiobooks. Good luck :) I like the sound of your husband's alternative stories though, wouldn't mind betting he's improved a lot of them :D

It's good to know that your nephew gets on well with them fingers crossed my Husband does as I know that he gets disheartened when people talk about books and he can't join in.

His alternative stories can be ... Um ... Let's say interesting lol.

He likes writing stories too but they just contain swear words because they are the only ones he can spell, they do make me laugh though.

• 2 weeks later...

Listening to the audio version of The Stand at the moment by Stephen King, it is fantastic! Not only one of King's best but very well narrated, he really brings the characters to life and grabs your attention, which at approaching 50 hrs long is a good thing!

Edited by Timstar

• 1 month later...

Now started Moby Dick read by Frank Muller, it is really fantastic! Muller brings it alive in such an interesting and fast paced tone. I think I would struggle to get through the long winded descriptions and many story digressions if I read but this audio book allows me to enjoy every word. I would highly recommend this to everyone but especially to those or have struggled with it in the past.

EDIT: Finished it now and it didn't waver, stayed brilliant and interesting throughout, Melville delivers it in a beautiful poetic-like prose and the narrator doesn't miss a beat of it. The only classic i've read (not that there has been tonnes) so far that gets 10/10.

Edited by Timstar