Maureen's Reading Blog (2006)

Maureen

Same style of book. Funny and enjoyable. Like the way different types of English customs/way of life/society is described. My only gripe being that I do not know of all the "famous"/notorious people mentioned in the book , and it takes too much time to look them up. Also the ins and outs of politics in England is totally lost on me. I only know of Thatcher Blair and Mayor, and not a great deal at that. However there are a great deal of well known characters mentioned.

p.s. I never knew that people from Liverpool are called Liverpudlians

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's another book on my wish list,The Cappuccino Years.

I remember reading Adrian Mole's diaries when I was about 14 - 15 and I loved them

I will be prob putting them on my swap/sell list if you are really interested.

Yes I would be inerested as they'd come in handy for my daughter as well.

I need some time to get my books listed on here for swap/sell but I don't think it's going to be anytime soon.

If there's a book/books your interested in let me know and I'll check if I have it or I'll list a few for you

TIA

I don't know if anyone is interested but....

On BOL (see home page, shopping bit), they are doing a special offer at the moment. ALL the Adrian Mole books for 9.99. Yes that's right, ALL of them.

Just in case anyone was interested in owning the set. :reading:

That's another book on my wish list,The Cappuccino Years.

I remember reading Adrian Mole's diaries when I was about 14 - 15 and I loved them

I will be prob putting them on my swap/sell list if you are really interested.

Yes I would be inerested as they'd come in handy for my daughter as well.

I need some time to get my books listed on here for swap/sell but I don't think it's going to be anytime soon.

If there's a book/books your interested in let me know and I'll check if I have it or I'll list a few for you

TIA

I am interested in thrillers mostly. So anything of that genre (which I haven't read) would be welcome

Enjoyed Dec Point. All of D Brown's books have the page turning/who is the bad guy elements - which are good basis for a thriller. Thumbs up!

Will be starting The Safe House by Nicci French tonight. Have not read anything by this author in a while, so this should be entertaining.

Am currently reading The Bone Collector (Jeffery Deaver) The book is so much richer than the film. Totally enjoyable, and at last I managed to read the first Lincoln Rhyme novel, where the relationship between him and Amelia Sachs starts off. May have to re-read the other books in the series after this - later on in the year, now I have all the background.

That's why Jodi Picoult's books don't appeal to me Maureen they are too 'real life' for my liking. Give me OTT every time! I'm doing some heavy reading at the moment - researching serial killers for my course and it's grim......I'd rather read fictional murders!!!

I was quite disappointed with ethe film Mau - I had a very different image of certain things in my mind.

yes...I would be too, if I had read the book before. Now though, I am reading the book and thinking, "oh...that's why.......", or "This they did not show in the film! " The book is much better!

You know what - this is not the first time it happened to me, I read the book after I watch the film. I must say I much prefer it that way, than reading the book first and then watching the film.