Books containing good analyses of music pieces

Hi,

Could someone recommend any books with analyses of music pieces so that I could both read about and listen to a specific piece. The type of music doesn't matter as I listen to most types. I guess most will be about classical music. Thanks for an help.

Do you mean actually analysing note by note or books which describe the effect  of music? I don't play any instruments but the novel which got me making a huge listen-to list is Trio by Sue Gee. It's a terrific book too.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2024 at 6:25 AM, MattK said:

Hi,

Could someone recommend any books with analyses of music pieces so that I could both read about and listen to a specific piece. The type of music doesn't matter as I listen to most types. I guess most will be about classical music. Thanks for an help.

How to Listen to Jazz' by Ted Gioia. If you're into jazz, this book will really help you understand the structure, instruments, and nuances of the genre better.

On 5/5/2024 at 1:23 PM, MattK said:

Thanks a lot! Anything on classical music?

Donald Francis Tovey's 'Essays in Musical Analysis' offers an analysis of various genres of classical music. It can be helpful in understanding musical forms and structures.