BCF Book Club 2024 - Part 2 Completed Reads

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just finished the second of two bonus short reads in this copy, they are :  One For the Road and Jerusalem's Lot. The man is a great story teller!

There are deleted scenes at the back of the book but I'm not sure that I want to read them. I'll take the rest of the day to decide.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/30/2024 at 9:24 AM, lunababymoonchild said:

'Salem's Lot, Stephen King. Absolutely marvellous. And what a pleasure reading a paper book! 

The novel is quite hefty, it takes a while to pick up pace. In the beginning, it's even a bit boring, only from the middle on do some action scenes start happening. Overall it's interesting, but not as thrilling as expected.

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 AM, lunababymoonchild said:

Celtic Mythology, Hourly History. Only 45 pages long but very informative indeed about Irish mythology.

If you don't know anything about the Celts, this book might still be enjoyable for you. For me, the book didn't provide any new information.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2024 at 2:50 PM, PYX said:

In the beginning, it's even a bit boring, only from the middle on do some action scenes start happening. Overall it's interesting, but not as thrilling as expected.

It does tend to be the main criticism of Stephen King books, doesn’t it? The slow pace.

I’m still working my way through Watkins Book of English Folktales and I love it. It’s perfect if you’re interested in how folktales develop and how they’re categorised! I have started to feel like I’d like to dig into a longer story now though, so I might be tempted to read something alongside it :). 

On 5/25/2024 at 2:04 AM, Hayley said:

It does tend to be the main criticism of Stephen King books, doesn’t it? The slow pace.

I’m still working my way through Watkins Book of English Folktales and I love it. It’s perfect if you’re interested in how folktales develop and how they’re categorised! I have started to feel like I’d like to dig into a longer story now though, so I might be tempted to read something alongside it :). 

Yes, this slow pace is Stephen King's trademark and makes his works unique and memorable.

On 4/30/2024 at 9:24 AM, lunababymoonchild said:

'Salem's Lot, Stephen King. Absolutely marvellous. And what a pleasure reading a paper book! 

As always, Stephen King is brilliant when it comes to vampire stories. All the characters are memorable, with their own backstories. The book itself is gripping and terrifying.

• Like 1

More Vampirisim. This time an absolute classic, some 19 pages long, The Vampyre by John William Polidori, 1819 Gothic horror. Said to have "laid the foundation for modern vampire literature, influencing many authors to go deeper into the gothic vampire genre." It was great, short, and not, compared to today's standards, horrific.

On 5/30/2024 at 7:55 AM, lunababymoonchild said:

More Vampirisim. This time an absolute classic, some 19 pages long, The Vampyre by John William Polidori, 1819 Gothic horror. Said to have "laid the foundation for modern vampire literature, influencing many authors to go deeper into the gothic vampire genre." It was great, short, and not, compared to today's standards, horrific.

I wouldn't call myself a fan of vampire stuff, but I still couldn't resist this story, which is considered the first work about vampirism. Maybe it's because of my love for classic literature. 

• Like 1