Rennie's Books 2008

Renniemist

The Crimson Petal and the White by Michael Faber

I have had this book on my shelf for quite a while now, but there have been so many people on here that said they liked it, so I thought that now was the time to try it.

I thought it was very descriptive of Victorian London. The pages are crammed with the dirt and grime of London as well as scenes of sex and oppression. Even the main characters were less than likeable but this did not spoil the enjoyment of the book. Quite the reverse.

I wanted to know what was going to happen next and despite the books length it is a good easy read. When the ending came it was a bit unexpected and like other BCF members I now want to know what happens to Sugar and the others.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have finished several books since last I posted here - I am getting very lazy.

Girl with the Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier

This is a vivid description of life in Delft in the 17th century. The book is about one of Vermeer's most famous paintings, The Girl With a Pearl Earring. The story is told from the point-of-view of Griet, the model for the painting who is a maid in the painter

Red Dust by Gillian Slovo

Sarah has left South Africa and has become a successful lawyer in New York, but her mentor Ben Hoffman calls her back to help with a last case. It is a complex story involving crimes committed during the apartheid era and involves torture and human reactions.

This is a really good read. Gillian Slovo was born in South Africa and describes the landscape and the people wonderfully well.

No Other Life by Brian Moore

This seemed to be a familiar story. It is set in a Caribbean island called Ganae, which is ruled by a dictator. A young intelligent black boy called Jeannot is taken in and educated by Father Paul Michel. The boy becomes a priest and is seen as a saviour.

An interesting tale of politics and religion.

Girl with the Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier

This is a vivid description of life in Delft in the 17th century. The book is about one of Vermeer's most famous paintings, The Girl With a Pearl Earring. The story is told from the point-of-view of Griet, the model for the painting who is a maid in the painter

• 2 weeks later...

Pigs in Heaven by Barbara Kingsolver

A novel, where Taylor Greer who has adopted a little girl named Turtle, finds she may have to fight a custody battle with the Cherokee Nation.

Questions on adoption, ethnic identity, and poverty are raised but in the end it comes down to what is best for the child.

I have read two other Barbara Kingsolver books

• 2 weeks later...

I have just finished The Talented Mr Ripley and really enjoyed it. Ripely is such a complex character. He dislikes most people but wants to have a bit of their lifestyle. He is devious and unprincipled but sees himself as charming and indeed he does seem to be able to pull the wool over most peoples eyes.

I am now starting on Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith.

I have just finished The Talented Mr Ripley and really enjoyed it. Ripely is such a complex character. He dislikes most people but wants to have a bit of their lifestyle. He is devious and unprincipled but sees himself as charming and indeed he does seem to be able to pull the wool over most peoples eyes.

I'd like to read this. I read a Highsmith many years ago - A Suspension of mercy and loved it. I have This Sweet Sickness on my shelf which I intend to read soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am having trouble keeping up to date nowadays.

I have read since last posting-

The Valley of the Dolls by Jaqueline Susann

The Gathering by Anne Enright

The Closed circle by Jonathan Coe

I have now started on Due Preparations for the Plague by Janette Turner Hospital.