Rennie's Books 2008

Renniemist

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides

Blurb from the book

The shocking thing about the girls was how normal they seemed when their mother let them out for the one and only date of their lives. Twenty years on the enigmatic personalities are embalmed in the memories of the boys who worshipped them, and who recall their shared adolescence: the brassiere draped over the crucifix belonging to promiscuous Lux; the sisters

The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides

Perhaps my expectations were too high because I was disappointed and glad to finish it.

Sorry to hear that. I'm reading it at the moment and enjoying it. Expectations are key really aren't they?

Sorry to hear that. I'm reading it at the moment and enjoying it. Expectations are key really aren't they?

I knew you were reading Andrea and I would be interested in your thoughts. Most people seem to have enjoyed this book so I was disappointed that I could not take to it.

I think your are right that expectation play a large part in determining whether you like a book or not. That and mood. Perhaps I was not in the mood for it either. Hope you enjoy it.:blush:

I loved A Short History of Nearly Everything. I thought it was absolutely fascinating. I got lost in some parts later on in the book (I think with the different sciences), but overall I found it very entertaining. Obviously he put a lot of effort and research into it!

I've been looking forward to reading The Virgin Suicides because of the great reviews I read, but maybe I should lower my expectations a bit before I start it. :blush:

I've been looking forward to reading The Virgin Suicides because of the great reviews I read, but maybe I should lower my expectations a bit before I start it. :blush:

Kylie I am sure you will enjoy The Virgin Suicides. I seem to be alone in having felt disappointment.

My copy has a quote from the Observer saying it is a Catcher in the Rye for our time. I loved Catcher in the Rye, and I could see what the Observer meant, but I still felt a little let down.

It is not a bad book however I did give it 6/10. I am never very generous although I have read a great many exceptional books this year.

I am rambling. Obviously not fully awake yet.

I hope you enjoy The Virgin Suicides and I look forward to hearing what you think about it.:cry2:

Brazzaville Beach by William Boyd

Blurb from book

On Brazzaville Beach, on the edge of Africa, Hope Clearwater examines the complex circumstances that brought her there. Sifting through the details for evidence of her own innocence or guilt, she tells her engrossing story with a blunt and beguiling honesty that not only intrigues and disturbs but is also completely enthralling.

Comments

Hope Clearwater is studying Chimpanzees in Africa

• 2 weeks later...

I hesitate to bring up the subject of chick-lit again but I think this is chick-lit for the older woman.

Although I cannot say that I identified with Marie in the book, she was of a similar age to me and she had just become a grandmother for the first time. As I am hoping to be a grandmother very soon I was quite entertained by her behaviour.

I don

I've been looking forward to reading The Virgin Suicides because of the great reviews I read, but maybe I should lower my expectations a bit before I start it. :)

Kylie I am sure you will enjoy The Virgin Suicides. I seem to be alone in having felt disappointment.

My copy has a quote from the Observer saying it is a Catcher in the Rye for our time. I loved Catcher in the Rye, and I could see what the Observer meant, but I still felt a little let down.

It is not a bad book however I did give it 6/10. I am never very generous although I have read a great many exceptional books this year.

I was a little disappointed too. I found it very slow. Lots and lots of thoughtful description. Not much dialog or action. Very well written but not enough balance between the good quality writing and any actual pace or drama.

Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald

Blurb from book

Following the curves of the twentieth century, Fall on Your Knees takes us from the haunted Cape Breton Islands in Nova Scotia through the battlefields of World War I into the emerging jazz scene of New York City, and immerses us in the lives of four unforgettable sisters.

Comments

I discovered Ann-Marie MacDonald earlier in the year when I read novel