NikkiJayne’s Reading Journal 2023

So like many people I enjoy reading as a self care routine, a chance for me to take time out for me.  I will use this thread to share all the books I’m reading and share some honest reviews on how I found each book.  I write as the spirit moves me and based on how the boom really makes me feel.  It’s not about telling you what you should think or read.  It’s my opportunity to ruminate on the pages I’ve read and to take the time to write those thoughts down so that perhaps a year from now I’ll be able to remember a little more of what I read and how I felt about it.

I will happily share my reviews with this lovely community of fellow bookworms and hope that you might discover something new and wonderful (or something you might want to avoid all together)!  Regardless of what you take away,  I hope you enjoy my posts 😊 

• Like 2

You Can Trust Me by Gina Blaxill

Blurb:

Tragedy hits a teenage New Year's party...

When Alana's best friend is found drowned in a pool, the forensic reports discover date-rape drug GHB in her blood. GHB from a drink Alana knows was meant for her. Despite the swirling rumours, the suspected group of boys seem untouchable. To investigate, Alana allows herself to be pulled into their glittering orbit. But among shifting alliances, changing alibis and buried secrets, can she pinpoint which of the boys is responsible before she becomes their next target?

Perfect for fans of Holly Jackson, Karen McManus and Chelsea Pitcher, a bold feminist read with a pacy thriller plot that YA fans will love. Carnegie-nominated author Gina Blaxill looks head-on at privilege, bias and sexual assault in a way that will resonate with young adults today.

My Review:

5 Stars

“𝘧𝘢𝘴𝘵 𝘱𝘢𝘤𝘦𝘥, 𝘵𝘰𝘹𝘪𝘤, 𝘨𝘳𝘪𝘱𝘱𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘳𝘪𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘳, 𝘱𝘢𝘨𝘦 𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘯𝘦𝘳.”

So I came across the lovely, down to earth author Gina Blaxill a while back while reading the Disney Twisted Villain books. 

I ended up chatting as you do on Twitter and when You Can Trust Me came out, I automatically fell in love with the cover, read the reviews online from other bookworms and thought I have to add this book to my collection.

All the Better to See You had me gripped right from the beginning, I couldn’t put it down and loved every minute of reading it!  So I couldn’t wait to see what You Can Trust Me brought to the table.

I was so excited to read this once it came through the letterbox and “You Can Trust Me” when I say I was not left disappointed. A Twisted and Dark YA Murder mystery that grips you from page one. 

I was hooked on this book and did not see coming the massive twist at the end! It completely took me by surprise. It was so cleverly written.

This was a stunning read that I would highly recommend.

• Like 1

The Midnight Unicorn by Alice Hemming

Blurb:

An epic unicorn fairy tale filled with adventure, magic and a fight like no other... 

In a faraway kingdom, two girls live separate lives. Growing up in the wilderness of the west, Alette is the daughter of a sorcerer. In the warmth of the east, Audrey is the daughter of a baker. The girls could not be more different... and yet something draws them together. 

Are they connected by the unanswered questions of their pasts?

Or by the identical pendants they both wear around their necks?

Whatever it is, the girls are on a collision course that cannot be avoided, as a past they never knew they had leaves them hurtling towards a future they could never have dreamed of.

Danger, mystery and enchanted unicorns await them.

Their story began once upon a time. But how will it end?

My Review:

5 Stars

Wasn’t sure what to expect when I picked up the unicorn books but absolutely loved the midnight unicorn. I can’t wait to read the darkest unicorn.

I loved the story about the two sisters and the story how they were separated and how they worked together to get to where they needed to be.

I enjoyed it that much that I managed to read it in 3 days…

Currently in the process of finishing Someone Like You by Rachel Dove in E Book form….

This is the first ever E Book I’ve ever read on an iPad…. Totally strange considering I’m used to using physical books!

2C72CD40-1005-421B-9AFF-8D56372171F2.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Runaway Bride by Mary Jayne Baker

This is a heartwarming story about a young woman having dealt with emotional abuse throughout her life, however has a happy ending which leads me to wonder what happens next.  I can’t wait to read more books from Mary Jayne Baker in the near future

• 6 months later...