The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

Janet

......... I was even more fascinated by the autobiography of Miep Gies, one of the persons who risked their lives to help the Franks when they were hidden: she was the one who did their shopping for them and visited them every day, bringing food, news and a breath of fresh air from the outside. She was also the one who went back after they were arrested, found Anne's diary and kept it until her father came back and Anne was declared dead......

I hadn`t realised there was a book written by this lady, I`ll definately be looking out for it, it`ll be interesting to hear things from her point of view. :)

There's a novel called The Boy Who Loved Anne Frank by Ellen Feldman, if anyone's interested. It tells the story from the point-of-view of Peter van Pels who lived with Anne Frank when they were in hiding. Now, I haven't read this so don't know if it's any good, and it's fiction. I just thought I'd let you know in case anyone's interested :)

I read 'The Diary of a Young Girl' by Anne Frank years ago when I was a teenager, I read it numerous times, interesting reading. I watched the series last week on BBC1 and I thought it was excellent, they did a wonderful job bringing Anne to life. I just ordered a copy of the book from play.com

:)

There's a novel called The Boy Who Loved Anne Frank by Ellen Feldman, if anyone's interested. It tells the story from the point-of-view of Peter van Pels who lived with Anne Frank when they were in hiding. Now, I haven't read this so don't know if it's any good, and it's fiction. I just thought I'd let you know in case anyone's interested :)

I just looked up The Boy Who Loved Anne Frank by Ellen Feldman on amazon and it sounds interesting, added it to my wishlist.

Synopsis ~ (Product Description)

On February 16, 1944, Anne Frank recorded in her diary that Peter, whom she at first disliked but eventually came to love, had confided to her that if he got out alive, he would reinvent himself entirely. This is the story of what might have happened if the boy in hiding survived to become a man. Peter arrives in America, the land of self-creation; he flourishes in business, marries, and raises a family. He thrives in the present, plans for the future, and has no past. But, when "The Diary of a Young Girl" is published to worldwide acclaim and gives rise to bitter infighting, he realises the cost of forgetting. Based on extensive research of Peter van Pels and the strange and disturbing life Anne Frank's diary took on after her death, this is a novel about the memory of death, the death of memory, and the inescapability of the past. 'This is a brave novel in the strongest sense of the word, carefully treading mined terrain to thought-provoking and memorable effect' - "Observer". 'In this thoughtful novel, Feldman imagines how Peter's life might have turned out had he survived the war. It's an account of his struggle to deal with the past in the face of public obsession with the girl he loved. Fascinating and moving'

Good thing you pasted the synopsis Gyre, because I totally remembered the storyline differently and gave you all the wrong impression of the plot! I guess I'm getting old.

It does sound good and the difference in storyline (I did not even notice ~ sorry Frankie:friends0:), its a great recommendation, thank you :)

There's a novel called The Boy Who Loved Anne Frank by Ellen Feldman, if anyone's interested. It tells the story from the point-of-view of Peter van Pels who lived with Anne Frank when they were in hiding. Now, I haven't read this so don't know if it's any good, and it's fiction. I just thought I'd let you know in case anyone's interested :lol:[/quote

It does sound good and the difference in storyline (I did not even notice ~ sorry Frankie:friends0:), its a great recommendation, thank you :D

I agree Gyre, this book does sound good, I`m adding it to my wish list, thanks Frankie. :D

• 9 months later...

I've read this book about 4 times and enjoyed it very much in spite of the circumstances in which it was written. I also have the Miep Gies biography and thought it was very informative.

Since then, I have read a book called, "Beyond the Diary of Anne Frank" which has lots of photos and information about her family and their friends as well as being about the War. And there's a book about her father, "The Secret Life of Otto Frank" (at least I think that was the title?) which I looked through a few times but did not buy. Wasn't really interested in any scandal it might contain.

What was most interesting to me about Anne Frank's diary, was that even though she and her family were living in such dreadful circumstances, she still had every day teenage thoughts and interests. She worried about whether a boy was interested in her too, about growing up, her relationship with her parents, etc. At first this was a bit disappointing - I expected a lot more information about the war - but as I continued reading, it really became what intrigued me most. She was just a regular girl in an extraordinary situation.

I just finished 'The Boy Who Loved Anne Frank' by Ellen Feldman, its about Peter van Pels (Peter van Daan in the diary of Anne Frank) and what would have happened if he had survived the war, its insightful, especially Otto and Anne.

:)