Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - JKR

Persepolis 2 - Marjane Satrapi (GN)

The Girl You Left Behind - Jojo Moyes

Currently reading:

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - JKR

Abandoned:

The Silver Bough - Lisa Tuttle

Edited by ~Andrea~

Quite pleased with how my reading is going so far this year. If I maintain a rate of 2 books per month that will be quite good for me, although I'd be happy with anything over a dozen books in the year to be honest.

I'm behind with reviews but I will put some up!

• Like 1

Spies - Michael Frayne

Set during WW2, Stephen and best friend Keith, two friends who live in the same street, speculate on the mysterious  comings and goings of the adults in their neighbourhood. Convinced that there are German spies in their midst, the two boys set about some investigations of their own.

The only Michael Frayne I had read prior to this one was The Tin Men, a silly but clever comedy set in the near future. It couldn't be more different to Spies, which is much more literary and sober. I found it an engaging read, enjoying the charactarisation of both Stephen and Keith and that of the adults seen through their young eyes. There is plenty of suspense in this novel but the tension between what is real, as opposed to the children's interpretation of events, is the most interesting aspect. I enjoyed it.

Edited by ~Andrea~

Delicacy: A memoir about cake and death - Katy Wix

Katy Wix is a comedy actress. She played Daisy (brilliantly) in Not Going Out and plays Mary in the BBC sitcom Ghosts. She's also been on Taskmaster. This is her memoir.

I heard a review of this on the radio and added it to my wish list. The inside cover is full of similar recommendations from well known comedians using words such as raw, funny, insightful, hilarious, extraordinary etc. So I was expecting great things. As I began to read, while I enjoyed it, it wasn't quite what I was expecting. There is humour in it, but it is often a very dry and the book touches on quite dark themes. Katy is essentially writing about trauma, death, body image issues and a lot of sexist crap she has had to put up with in her life. So the subject matter isn't exactly a laugh a minute although she writes a lot of it with a sardonic wry smile.

I also occasionally found it hard to connect emotionally with the writing. It was very matter of fact. While I was reading it I learned elsewhere that Katy is Autistic (that isn't mentioned in the book). I warmed to the writing a lot more, as that explained perhaps why I found her thought processes a bit different to mine. Anyway, as the book went on and I settled into the style I actually started to love it. In parts it is deeply moving, and some of the writing about death had me properly blubbing. It's an unusual book, definitely worth a read.

Persipolis - Marjane Satrapi

The autobiographical account of a young girl growing up in 1970s Iran, this graphic novel covers everything from the Islamic revolution and the Iran Iraq war to sneaking out to buy western clothes and music on the black market.

I'm on a mission to find great graphic novels by and for women. I love the format but a lot of GNs seem quite male or dare I say it, juvenile. The medium seems dominated by superheros, sci fi, fantasy, horror and violence. (Yes this could be a horrible misrepresentation, however that was my impression when browsing at the library).

My research brought me to Persepolis, considered by many a classic of the form. Boy is it great! It's funny, educational, poignant, horrifying, and true. The story of Iran's recent history is brilliantly captured in Satrapi's simple but beautiful black and white artwork, with wit and silliness. It presents a volatile and frightening period through the eyes of a child, the strong-minded, defiant Satrapi herself. I loved loved loved this wonderful book.

Edited by ~Andrea~
  • Like 1

Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury

Montag is a fireman who is paid to burn books, because books help people think, and that's not good for society. Then Montag meets someone who does think, which in turn makes him think, and this turns out to be more dangerous than he ever realised.

I love a bit of sci fi, and this dystopian tale didn't disappoint. I had to abandon the book I started before this one because it felt so badly written. As soon as I picked up this one I thought 'Ah, that's more like it'. The writing style is different to anything I've read for a while. The descriptions are spare and the technology described alien and not so easy to picture, however the oppressive atmosphere is palpable, from the authoritarian  regime to the shallow society and its citizens shallow relationships. The story is pacy and trips along and the ideas are interesting and engaging. I liked it.

Edited by ~Andrea~
  • Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 9:09 PM, ~Andrea~ said:

Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury

I loved that book so much! The only thing I would have changed: [spoiler for the ending]

Spoiler

I wished Clarisse had come back at the end - or we had some kind of closure about what happened to her.

Although, if you have the 50th anniversary edition

Spoiler

Bradbury did say he wished he could go back and add in that she was there living with the others in the wilderness at the end. So I consider that to be the true ending :D 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Flat Share - Beth O'Leary
Tiffy and Leon share a single bed flat in London. They have just one rule, that they're never in the flat, or the bed, at the same time.

I fancied something really light and easy to read and picked this up in a charity shop having never heard of the author before. It was good, a nice, light, easy, funny romcom with an engaging storyline and well written too. 

However:

Spoiler

When they finally got together the few pages about how happy they were had me wanting to reach for the sick bucket. There were a few cliches too; I find the whole 'I've just had sex I must immediately phone my gal pals and give them all the details' something I just can't relate to but seems to happen all the time in books and TV! Also towards the end Leon was just a bit too perfect. I'd have preferred a bit more blokey realism, even if it was just the odd belch!

But overall I enjoyed it and I'd try this author again.

Take my Hand - Dolen Perkins-Valdez

Inspired by true events, this work of fiction tells the story of Civil Townsend, a family planning nurse to two poor young black girls in Alabama in the seventies. Appalled by the family's living conditions she takes them under her wing and gets them housing help and more, going above and beyond her first duty as a nurse. Although alarmed by the requirement to give such young girls birth control she nevertheless carries out her duties, only to find that the shots she is to give them are experimental. Worse is to come as the girls fall victim to what turns out to be a devastating medical scandal of immense proportions and Civil's fight to free them from poverty turns into a fight for justice on a scale she could never have imagined.

I hadn't realised how much of this book was fictional as I read it. It was only when I came to the author's note at the back that I realised how much had been imagined. It is based on a real case of two young girls from Alabama, but the girls in this book, their family and the nurse (and her personal struggles which form a significant part of the story) are all imagined. I had taken it entirely at face value (assuming bits of it were re-imagined for dramatic purposes etc). Either way the story is truly gripping, very well written, and the extent of the medical scandal horrifying. I was surprised not to have heard about before. It feels like one of those books that is important, as it shines a light on a dark part of history that deserves to be remembered.

Edited by ~Andrea~

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2023 at 7:11 PM, ~Andrea~ said:

Take my Hand - Dolen Perkins-Valdez

Inspired by true events, this work of fiction tells the story of Civil Townsend, a family planning nurse to two poor young black girls in Alabama in the seventies. Appalled by the family's living conditions she takes them under her wing and gets them housing help and more, going above and beyond her first duty as a nurse. Although alarmed by the requirement to give such young girls birth control she nevertheless carries out her duties, only to find that the shots she is to give them are experimental. Worse is to come as the girls fall victim to what turns out to be a devastating medical scandal of immense proportions and Civil's fight to free them from poverty turns into a fight for justice on a scale she could never have imagined.

I hadn't realised how much of this book was fictional as I read it. It was only when I came to the author's note at the back that I realised how much had been imagined. It is based on a real case of two young girls from Alabama, but the girls in this book, their family and the nurse (and her personal struggles which form a significant part of the story) are all imagined. I had taken it entirely at face value (assuming bits of it were re-imagined for dramatic purposes etc). Either way the story is truly gripping, very well written, and the extent of the medical scandal horrifying. I was surprised not to have heard about before. It feels like one of those books that is important, as it shines a light on a dark part of history that deserves to be remembered.

Just finished reading this and agree with everything you said. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Like 1

My Man Jeeves - P G Wodehouse

I enjoyed the second Jeeves book - My man Jeeves although I was very confused when Jeeves and Wooster disappeared from the stories and Reggie Pepper and his valet appeared. Apparently Reggie was a an early prototype of Bertie Wooster. I preferred the Jeeves and Wooster stories but the others (half of the stories are Reggie Pepper) are also entertaining.

When the first Harry Potter book came out I gave it a go but for some reason couldn't get on with it - (perhaps I found it over hyped) and so I never bothered with the series or any of the films. However my ex got me into the films, (when the fifth one was already out) by making me watch Azkaban. I was pleasantly surprised and became hooked. I then read the final two books when they came out so I could get in there before the films were released and I loved them. I have since watched all the films many times but never read any more than the last two books - until now.

Someone loaned me the entire series so I am trying to race through them so that I can return them in a timely manner! I have enjoyed the first two and am looking forward to the third, which I think is where the series really takes off.

Edited by ~Andrea~
  • Like 1

I read Treasure Island for the BCF book group and loved it. Its very pacy and I loved the atmosphere and the sheer menace of some of the characters.

My brief thoughts on it can be seen on the group read page

https://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/topic/17615-the-bcf-book-club-part-3/?do=findComment&comment=522778

Edited by ~Andrea~

On 2/18/2023 at 3:54 PM, ~Andrea~ said:

Quite pleased with how my reading is going so far this year. If I maintain a rate of 2 books per month that will be quite good for me, although I'd be happy with anything over a dozen books in the year to be honest.

I managed 14 books in the end, so that's not bad, though not quite as good as I'd hoped!

The second Persepolis graphic novel was just as brilliant as the first and I'd recommend both to anyone.

I enjoyed the Harry Potter but was quite distracted by trying to remember the plot from the film!

I also quite enjoyed the JoJo Moyes. The only thing I struggled with was the quite marked style change between the parts of the book set in World war 1 and the parts set in the modern day.

So, a few final rather rushed thoughts and that's a wrap on my 2023 thread!!

Happy new year everyone!!