Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman

I just wondered if anyone has read the Noughts and Crosses series by Malorie Blackman - I read them all recently and absolutely loved them.

The premise of the books is they are set in an alternate UK called Albion, where Noughts are white people and Crosses are black people, and in this world the Crosses are in charge whereas Noughts are former slaves and are frequently mistreated. Blackman wrote the book due to racism and bias that she experienced and they are really thought provoking, as well as gripping reads. 

The series was also written over 20 years so the themes of the books often represent the changing times - the earlier entries have themes such as extremism and radicalisation of young people which were written against the backdrop of 9/11 and 7/7, whilst the later entries have similar events to Brexit and the Covid pandemic taking place.

• 2 weeks later...

I read the first book several years ago and was horrified at the ending.  I don’t want to spoil anything for those who haven’t read it yet, but for some reason I was not expecting what happened at the end to happen.  Very hard hitting and emotional.  I enjoyed the book and I need to pick up the others sometime soon.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/1/2022 at 10:02 AM, Kudz said:

I read the first book several years ago and was horrified at the ending.  I don’t want to spoil anything for those who haven’t read it yet, but for some reason I was not expecting what happened at the end to happen.  Very hard hitting and emotional.  I enjoyed the book and I need to pick up the others sometime soon.

I was surprised as well especially as Connor and Sephy seem to be the main characters for the series but the rest of the series is definitely worth reading. I particularly like how the later books move with the times and more recent political events e.g. in the later books there is the first Nought prime minister which I'm sure was inspired by Barack Obama being the first black president as it came out during his presidency I believe.

Yeah, I really do need to try and pick them up again and continue with the series, but I think I’ll probably end up having to re-read the first one as it’s been a while since I read it. I might try and aim to read one a month starting in the new year.