Enchanted vs The Golden Compass

Oblomov

These two seem to be the big fantasy films for this X-mas season and I cannot wait to see both. Reviews for Enchanted seem to be uniformly good across the board while it is rather varied on The Golden Compass, many critics feeling that it might be a bit too heavy for kids.

My daughter (10) and hubby (older! :) ) both really enjoyed The Golden Compass. I thought it was okay... but a real let-down compared to the book. They changed messed around with it too much - to the extent that it was in a different order to the book.

this meant that the bear fight took place before the rescue of the children from Bol-thingy - and if that was the case, why didn't Iorek take the other bears with him as back-up?! :(

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to see Enchanted because my loved ones and I enjoyed Disney movies so much when we were little. In fact, when their older brother was babysitting my cousins as vocal little four-and-five-year-olds, he broke down and said, "Girls, pick your favorite movie and watch it in your head!"

It might be even cheesier than it's meant to be, but I think it's the choice for family movies nonetheless. Also, according to this reliable movie reviews site, Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium does really well in conveying a message of love and selflessness to kids in a very fun, magical way.

On the note of productions that nod to old fairy tales, my uncle may be directing a production of Into the Woods in July! I'd love to see that!

I watched Stardust (not having read the book I had no expectations) and was severely disappointed. The Golden Compass (both book and film) holds absolutely no interest for me at present - I've seen nothing about either that attracts me. However, despite not being a huge Disney fan, I really fancy seenig Enchanted - it looks funny, clever and well-done from what i've seen.

And CoG - I LOVE Into the Woods - here's wishing your uncle all the best with his production!