Stephen King - Gerald's Game

Maureen

Well this is my second King - (have previously read The Dead Zone). As with the other book, the author's imagination is great. Still, after this book I would not classify King as a Horror writer - although it was gory and "disgusting" in parts:-) I was not terrified.(Do not wish to be) I felt a bit claustrophobic as the first 320+ pages of a 380 page book were spent in the same room, with the main character tied to the bed...reminiscing about her life. Perhaps for this reason I could not read it for long periods at a time...and I sometimes felt that the story is progressing too slowly. Perhaps it was the author's wish to make the reader feel time is passing very slowly - like it was doing for the (main) character. Meanwhile you get to know her background - which ultimately lead her to be in the current situation.

The exciting part was the last 80 pages, which are over before you know it.

• 3 years later...

Same as Baggiesfan, I enjoyed this one. I love the tense, race-against-time atmosphere King creates and I liked the heroine.

I think this book is often overlooked, perhaps because people are put off by how the heroine finds herself in the predicament she does, but that is only the set-up for the excellent writing that follows. I've only read it the once; maybe it's time for a re-read!

• 7 months later...

It's more about her past, her emoptional state and her journey to freedom than that. It's actually quite a riveting read and a testament to King's writing prowess that he can make a seemingly impossible subject so interesting and vital. :welcome2:

• 2 weeks later...
Did that inspire your choice of avatar by any chance..? :D

That, plus it is a painting done by my cousin. :smile2:

Also, I kinda like to scare Maureen. Her and Poppy stuck me with the signature under my name.

Edited by muggle not

That, plus it is a painting done by my cousin. :smile2:

Also, I kinda like to scare Maureen. Her and Poppy stuck me with the signature under my name.

:D Fair enough then!

I haven't read Gerald's Game, but from what I can gather, it seems at least vaguely reminiscent of Misery - at least, in terms of a claustrophobic tale, mostly in one room, with the main character in an incapacitated state..?