Truffles

Oblomov

I have had a lifelong ambition to eat some really good truffles, but not only have never done so, but don't know how best to enjoy them. I do not want the miniscule shavings added to other dishes, but eat them in large chunks like they do in some posh movie dinners. The problem is, I have no idea how they should be cooked, seasoned or eaten. Someone please enlighten me!

No, not the chocolate variety, you can get those anywhere. I meant the rare mushrooms that are found in Italy and some other temperate climates. I have seen that Wikipedia link Kylie, but it only describes the Truffles themselves, not how to eat them.

I may be wrong, but I think lightly roasted truffles are sometimes eaten like a snack with pre-dinner cocktails in uppity gatherings. I'll try to get myself invited to an X-mas do in Buckingham Palace or similar!:lol:

Truffles are incredibly strongly flavoured, though. When I've had tiny amounts of white albi truffle, say, grated on to linguini, you'd really not want any more because the flavour is overpowering. I'm not sure there are any sensible dishes that involve eating whole truffles. I've eaten a cvouple of meals at very high-end restaurants when too many courses had a hint of truffle here or there and again, it eventually becomes too much (at least for me).

• 2 weeks later...