Hand-written inscriptions?

sib

Normally, I do not like hand written inscriptions. However, a few months ago I had purchased a used copy of War For The Oaks by Emma Bull. I can't remember the price, but it was under $2.00. Upon opening the book, I found writing on the inside cover. At first, I was a bit upset about this. I like my books to be as near perfect as possible. However, looking closer at what was written, I got a pleasant surprise. This was the inscription:

To Harry:

With the very best of wishes.

Emma Bull

I was delighted to find this was a first printing of the book, and was actually signed by the author. :)

Edited by libri vermis

I recently received a book with a thoughtful inscription from a friend. He also dedicated a song for me, She's a Rainbow by the Rolling Stones. Not a bad thing to have written inside a book...

If it's a book I particularly want, or a hardback, I will not be impressed with an inscription in it, unless it's from the author, and even then if it's not directed at me I won't be happy. But if it's purely a basic reading copy, I don't really care.

• 2 years later...

I was browsing in a second-hand book shop today and found a copy of Notes from an Exhibition by Patrick Gale; there was a picture of the author inside the cover and someone had written on the opposite page,

'The book might be rubbish, but at least the author's pretty tasty - enjoy!'

Made me chuckle :)

I don't mind it if the book was given as a special occasion gift, otherwise it's a no no for me too. Like in my prized possession book from my mum, it has the exact date it was given to me, and where I lived st the time. Brings back memories of the place and moment it was given to me everytime I read it.

I think it's interesting to see inscriptions in books, I think it reminds you of the history of the book and how many people might have picked it up to read it before you, all thinking different things while they read it.

On the other hand I hate it when I get a book out of the library and somebody's written over the top of the print or tried to underline and actually ended up putting a line through the middle of the writing so it's hard to make out what it says.

And I don't like when they've been highlighted, it just doesn't look nice.

And signed by the author is definitely ok with me :D

If I get a book as a present for someone, I usually write a short message on the first, blank page. I also love getting books with little personal notes. It makes me feel that the person who bought the book for me really thought about me while getting it. It's also lovely to flip through old books and spot those little greetings when years have passed.