A strange and somewhat morbid question

This topic reminds me of a question my sister and I were thinking about - if you knew you were going to die and you could only read one more book before you kicked the bucket, which one would it be?

That is a really tough question :lol:

This topic reminds me of a question my sister and I were thinking about - if you knew you were going to die and you could only read one more book before you kicked the bucket, which one would it be?

I think I'd probably choose to re-read an old favourite - something I'd know I could lose myself in, characters I would like to revisit one last time; like saying goodbye to old friends, I guess. As for which book that would be - I think I need to give that some thought ...

• 1 year later...
If I died before reading my 2009 to-read pile, I would be SOOOO annoyed! :)

Yeah me too, I'm quite looking forward to this coming year bookwise, but really I'd be more annoyed with the fact I know nobody else that reads, and my BF never throws away anything, or even gives anything away if he can help it, so my books would end up just left sitting in boxes or something for god knows how long :lol:

I went a bit further one of these days. I was sort of sad for about two days if not more once I realized that when I die I'll miss all the good books that are going to be written after. For some reason a) I realized this now when I'm almost 30 and :) it saddened me to no end.

On the other hand, who knows, perhaps heaven is like R. Matheson has imagined it in What Dreams May Come (the book), one of my very favorite books and my favorite "image" of afterlife ever. Unfortunately I don't remember the details (which added to the charm) but it was something like there were galleries and libraries with all the masterpieces ever painted/sculpted or written, even better than the ones on Earth as they were as they were in their author's mind (which isn't always perfectly put on canvas or paper, as that depends on the actual skill of the author). Now that's the kind of Heaven I'd love to go to :lol:

On the other hand, who knows, perhaps heaven is like R. Matheson has imagined it in What Dreams May Come (the book), one of my very favorite books and my favorite "image" of afterlife ever. Unfortunately I don't remember the details (which added to the charm) but it was something like there were galleries and libraries with all the masterpieces ever painted/sculpted or written, even better than the ones on Earth as they were as they were in their author's mind (which isn't always perfectly put on canvas or paper, as that depends on the actual skill of the author). Now that's the kind of Heaven I'd love to go to :lol:

What a nice image! If that's the case, then no sadness at all about not getting to everything I've wanted to read! :)

My personal philosophy, though, is that there are ALWAYS going to be more books that I want to read, simply because so many amazing stories have been written that it's impossible to get to them all. So I have accepted the fact that even if I read non-stop from now until I die, there will still be plenty of things I might wish I had gotten to. But I don't plan on having regrets on my deathbed; if I am thinking about books at that time (and hopefully I'll be thinking about more important things like my family and friends!), I hope that I will be thinking about the books that I HAVE read and enjoyed, rather than the ones that I have NOT. :)