Your Book Activity - February 2016

chesilbeach

I'm falling behind in my reading again, Goodreads tells me I'm one book behind schedule. Just have had a busy/social few days, I'm not good at fitting reading time into that, but I must try this evening because I want to get back on track.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read a bit of Take Me With You. Good so far, but I'm only reading in small chunks of time. I need to set aside a few hours to really sink my teeth into it. :readingtwo:

I've cleared another two bags of books to take to the charity shop, so I will need to update my TBR pile to reflect that. I just had far too many that I know I will never get around to, and we could use the space.

I've read a bit of Take Me With You. Good so far, but I'm only reading in small chunks of time. I need to set aside a few hours to really sink my teeth into it. :readingtwo:

:exc:

I am fascinated by Jon Krakauer's Under the Banner of Heaven and really am loving the audiobook. 

:o  :lol:

I hope you like it!  Gaia and Muggle are all fans too!  :P

I should point out in case someone doesn't know, I haven't read Take Me With You. I am a big fan of the author though.

I'm currently reading Leigh Bardugo - De Grisha 2: Dreiging en Duisternis (The Grisha 2: Siege and Storm), which is good so far. I'm about 3/4ths through (75%) and hope to finish it off later today.

I finished that yesterday!  :D  I'm now reading The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz, which is his take on Sherlock!

Oooooh! Never heard of it but I'm intrigued.

I downloaded a couple of comic collections of Deadpool for my Kindle app on my tablet, but there were no zoom options and the layout was poor, so I've returned them for a refund and will try to find them elsewhere online.

I am another who is sold on that description of The House of Silk too! I can't wait for series 4 of Sherlock!!!

Looking forward to your review of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Janet! :)

Edited by Jessi

I'm currently making my way through Conan Doyle's books - read all the short stories, two full length novels to go.

Then I've got Mr Holmes by Mitch Cullin and want to read Anthony Horowitz's creations. Your post has made me want to go and read them all now Janet!

I hope to finish North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell tomorrow and I have a non-fiction politics book on the go as well.

I don't think I have read as much as I am doing in a long time.

The Marble Collector - Cecelia Ahern

The Sunrise - Victoria Hislop

The Pirate Queen - Dave Matthews

Crepe Murder - Harper Lee

Yes I am reading them all at the same time, they all offer something different depending on what I am in the mood for.

I've got two chapter left to read of The Old Wives' Tale but that's probably about two hours reading left, so not sure if I'll be able to finish it tonight, but might give it a go.

I'm still listening to South Riding in the car too, and have about five and a half hours left to go there too.

Both are excellent, and I'm thoroughly enjoying them!

I just finished the Immersion reading of Jon Krakauer's Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith, easily ties with When Paris Went Dark as my best reads of the year so far. 

Now starting the audio for Drinking: A Love Story by Caroline Knapp.

I didn't read the third Grisha book (by Leigh Bardugo), the second book was a bit slow and I didn't feel in the mood to read any more fantasy type books for a bit. I didn't read The Ascendance Trilogy either, that I got from the library. The library pressure was getting to me, and I don't like to feel so rushed with my reading. In fact, I didn't feel like reading most books I could think of (that I own), my motivation was a bit fragile. I decided to read Catherine Ryan Hyde - When I Found You, which so far is good. I read quite a bit in it yesterday. I still have a bit of trouble concentrating, though that's probably my ADD rather than the fault of the book. I'm liking the story so far.

I'm nearly at the end of Take Me With You by Catherine Ryan Hyde. It's ok, but I haven't been blown away by it.

I really like CRH but I agree that Take Me With You wasn't one of my favorites of her. Have you read Where We Belong by CRH. I know that both Athena and I enjoyed it.

No, this was my first Catherine Ryan Hyde. I've just finished it, and I think it dragged on for too long. :wacko:  I have to admit, when I read the synopsis I wasn't sure it would be my kind of book. There were a few others at the library that I thought were something I would enjoy more, so I shall keep an eye out for those.

I will now be starting Started Early, Took My Dog by Kate Atkinson. I really enjoyed Case Histories, but didn't like Life After Life, so I wonder what I will make of this one?! :blink:

While there are certain Catherine Ryan Hyde books I've enjoyed, I wouldn't say I've been blown away by any of them. She can be quite hit or miss in my experience.

I finished reading Deadpool Kills The Marvel Universe, a comic series :D Loved it! Does exactly what it says on the tin. Comics are a slightly cheat way of keeping my book count on track for the year, but I'm only counting collections/arcs of comics in books I can actually buy, so they *are* books, just.... comic books :P

This morning I finished the audiobook for Drinking: A Love Story.  Very well written, great insight. 

This afternoon, I plan on beginning the Immersion Reading of The Stand, some 48 hours of audio.  My goal is to finish by the March read a thon :)

This morning I finished the audiobook for Drinking: A Love Story. Very well written, great insight.

This afternoon, I plan on beginning the Immersion Reading of The Stand, some 48 hours of audio. My goal is to finish by the March read a thon :)

48 hours??? That s a lot!!! :D