Athena's Reading List 2016

Athena

Hey Gaia, I started reading this book last night that I thought might interest you! It's called How to Look for a Lost Dog and it's by Ann M. Martin. I know you like the BSC books, and there's a dog in the book, and it's also to do with autism/Asperger's. I've only read 36 pages but I'm really enjoying it and thought I'd let you know about the book :smile2:

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what BSC is (sorry!) but I looked at How to Look for a Lost Dog in Waterstone's last week and liked the sound of it - and I thought there would be quite a few people on here who might also like it.

Happy reading in 2016, Gaia.  Sorry I'm so late posting.   :)

BSC is the Baby-Sitters Club book series by Ann M. Martin, it's one of the things she is most famous for (if I'm not mistaken). I think I am very tempted to buy How to Look for a Lost Dog near the end of the month, when I do some Kindle book shopping :D (I don't think the book is sold in the Netherlands as a paperbook).

Thanks, Janet :).

January Summary

I'm copying Shyora's idea of a monthly summary.

Books read: 31

Pages read: 8416

Books read in the read-a-thon: 17

Pages read in the read-a-thon: 3208 pages

Books read outside of the read-a-thon: 14

Pages read outside of the read-a-thon: 5208

Most impressive / Favourites of the month:

Trudi Canavan - The Age of the Five 2: Last of the Wilds

Trudi Canavan - The Age of the Five 3: Voice of the Gods

John Flanagan - De Grijze Jager 6: Het Beleg van Macindaw (Ranger's Apprentice 6: The Siege of Macindaw)

Biggest disappointment / Least favourite of the month:

Susan Hatler - Treasured Dreams 5: An Unexpected Wedding

After spending a while cataloguing it all, I can now finally post all the books I've bought recently :D.

New Books Bought at Library Sale:

Giel van Hooff and Leo van Lieshout - Helmond: Doorsneden In Tijd En Ruimte

Avis Cardella - Koopzucht: De Belevenissen van een Shopaholic / Het Ware Verhaal van een Shopaholic (Spent)

Jill Mansell - Geknipt Voor Miranda (Miranda's Big Mistake)

--- these books I had already read but didn't own my own copy ---

Michael Ende - Momo En De Tijdspaarders (Momo)

Lucy Hawking and Stephen Hawking - George 1: De Geheime Sleutel Naar Het Heelal (George's Secret Key to the Universe)

Jaclyn Moriarty - Ashbury / Brookfield 3: Het Ongelofelijke Schooljaar Van Scarlett M. (Becoming Binzy Mackenzie)

Anthony Horowitz - De Kracht van Vijf 4: Necropolis (The Power of Five 4: Necropolis)

Anthony Horowitz - De Kracht van Vijf 5: Oblivion (The Power of Five 5: Oblivion)

Esther Verhoef - Tegenlicht

--- back to new-to-me books:

P. D. Baccalario - Century 1: De Ring van Vuur (L'Anello di Fuoco)

P. D. Baccalario - Century 2: De Ster Van Steen (La Stella di Pietra)

P. D. Baccalario - Century 3: De Stad Van De Wind (La Citè del Vento)

P. D. Baccalario - Century 4: De Eerste Bron (La Prima Sorgente)

Sarah Mlynowski - Magic in Manhattan 2: Kikkers & Tongzoenen (Frogs & French Kisses)

Sarah Mlynowski - Magic in Manhattan 3: Spreuken & Slaapzakken (Spells & Sleeping Bags)

Sarah Mlynowski - Magic in Manhattan 4: Feestjes & Toverdranken (Parties & Potions)

Joseph Delaney - De Geestenjager / The Wardstone Chronicles 2: De Vloek (The Spook's Curse)

Joseph Delaney - De Geestenjager / The Wardstone Chronicles 3: Het Geheim (The Spook's Secret)

Elizabeth Kay - The Divide 1: De Breuklijn (The Divide 1: The Divide)

Stan Nicholls - Orcs: Kwaad Bloed 2: Leger Van Schaduwen (Orcs: Bad Blood 2: Army of Shadows)

Eva Raaff - De Taragon Trilogie 3: De Pijl En Het Bloed

Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman - De Draken / The Dragonlance Chronicles 3: De Draken Van De Lentedooi (Dragons of Spring Dawning)

Isabel Hoving - Het Boek van het Vuur 1: Het Verbond Van De Bliksems

Philip Caveney - Sebastiaan Duister 2: De Piratenprins (Sebastian Darke 2: Prince of Pirates)

Terry Goodkind - De Wet Van Negen (The Law of Nines)

Eva Meijer - Het Schuwste Dier

Agatha Christie - Miss Marple 4-5: De Giftige Pen & Wie Adverteert Een Moord! (The Moving Finger & A Murder is Announced)

Tess Gerritsen - Onder het Mes (Under the Knife)

Loes Hazelaar - Een Overdosis Drama

Theo Hoogstraaten - Fiofen 3: De Michiel De Ruytercode

Marianne Hoogstraaten and Theo Hoogstraaten - Machteloos

Anders Roslund and Börge Hellström - Grens & Sundkvist 6: Twee Soldaten (Två Soldater)

Sarah Waters - De Kleine Vreemdeling (The Little Stranger)

Philippa Gregory - The Cousins' War 1: De Rozenkoningin (The White Queen)

Katherine Pancol - Joséphine 2: De Trage Wals Van De Schildpad (La Valse Lente des Tortues)

David Baldacci - Camel Club 2: The Collectors

Michael Crichton - Next

Vera Odenthal - Enigma 2: Joost Everard En Het Enigma Van De St. Jorisschool

Helen Vreeswijk - Eerwraak

Loes den Hollander - Uitglijder

Loes den Hollander - Driftleven

Loes den Hollander - Glansrol

Loes den Hollander - Bodemloos

Loes den Hollander - Troostkind

Loes den Hollander - Dekmantel

* interesting note: two of the books feature a main character named Scarlett and two other books both feature a main character named Felix.

NewBooksLibrarySaleSpines_0.25.jpg

NewBooksLibrarySaleCovers1_0.25.jpg

NewBooksLibrarySaleCovers2_0.25.jpg

NewBooksLibrarySaleCovers3_0.25.jpg

NewBooksLibrarySaleCovers4_0.25.jpg

NewBooksLibrarySaleCovers5_0.25.jpg

NewBooksLibrarySaleCovers6_0.25.jpg

NewBooksLibrarySaleCovers7_0.25.jpg

Library Loans:

Luc Embrechts and Eric Bouwens - Vampierzootje 2: De Spiegel van Toetan-thep

Liz Pichon - Tom Gates 8: Yes! No. (Maybe...)

Sabine Zett - Hugo 4: Very Important Hugo (Dutch)

Alice Pantermüller and Daniela Kohl - De Knotsgekke Wereld van Lotte Wirwar 2: Superschapen en Wilde Konijnen (Mein Lotta-Leben 2: Wie Belämmert Ist Das Denn?)

Ann M. Martin - The Baby-Sitters Club Graphic Novels 1: Kristy's Geweldige Idee (Kristy's Great Idea) (* read this in English on my Kindle, but my Kindle is black-and-white. Now I can read the colour version. I also find it interesting, that when the original books were translated, the names of the characters were changed, but with our current international society it was decided for this release, to keep the names the same as in the English original).

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 34: Ik Ben Geen Supermuis! (Non Sono un Supertopo!)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 65: Een Magische Kerst (La Magica Notte degli Elfi)

Geronimo Stilton - De Avonturen van Tom Sawyer (Le Aventure di Tom Sawyer)

Geronimo Stilton - Reis door de Tijd 5 (Viaggio nel Tempo 5)

Geronimo Stilton - Ridders van Fantasia 4: De Duistere Kroon (Cronache del Regno della Fantasia: La Corona d'Ombra)

Thea Stilton - Heksen van Fantasia 2: De Heks van Vuur en Vlam (Strega delle Fiamme)

Thea Stilton - Heksen van Fantasia 6: De Heks van Geur en Kleur (Strega dell'Aria)

Jennifer A. Nielsen - De Kronieken van de Kroon 1: De Verdwenen Prins (The Ascendance Trilogy 1: The False Prince)

Jennifer A. Nielsen - De Kronieken van de Kroon 2: Koning op de Vlucht (The Ascendance Trilogy 2: The Runaway King)

Jennifer A. Nielsen - De Kronieken van de Kroon 3: De Schaduw Troon (The Ascendance Trilogy 3: The Shadow Throne)

Leigh Bardugo - De Grisha 1: Schim en Schaduw (The Grisha 1: Shadow and Bone)

Leigh Bardugo - De Grisha 2: Dreiging en Duisternis (The Grisha 2: Siege and Storm)

Leigh Bardugo - De Grisha 3: Val en Verlossing (The Grisha 3: Ruin and Rising)

LibraryLoansSpines_0.25.jpg

LibraryLoansCovers1_0.25.jpg

LibraryLoansCovers2_0.25.jpg

LibraryLoansCovers3_0.25.jpg

Some reservations should be there soon, too, they are for Stilton books, which I can finish quite quickly.

Books from Trade Book Case Terre des Hommes (I left some of my own books there and picked up these two):

Allison Pearson - Hoe Krijgt Ze Het Voor Elkaar (I Don't Know How She Does It)

Edgar Pangborn - Davy, Koning Der Dwazen (Davy)

NewBooksTdHBookCase_0.125.jpg

Kringloopwinkel / Second hand shop:

Per Wahlöö - De Opdracht (Uppdraget)

Per Wahlöö - De Vrachtwagen (Lastbilen)

A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 4: De Moord op Anna Bentveld

A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 39: De Cock en de Dood van een Profeet

Henning Mankell - Kurt Wallander 4: De Man Die Glimlachte (Mannen Som Log)

Agatha Christie - Hercule Poirot 4: De Moord op Roger Ackroyd (The Murder of Roger Ackroyd)

Agatha Christie - Colonel Race 1: De Man in het Bruine Pak (The Man in the Brown Suit)

Agatha Christie - Miss Marple 3: Dood van een Danseres (A Body in the Library)

Agatha Christie - Waarom Evans Niet? (Why Didn't They Ask Evans?)

Agatha Christie - Superintendent Battle 4: Moord is Kinderspel (Murder is Easy / Easy to Kill)

Agatha Christie - Superintendent Battle 1: Het Mysterieuze Manuscript (The Secret of Chimneys)

Agatha Christie - Superintendent Battle 2: De Zeven Wijzerplaten (The Seven Dial's Mystery)

Agatha Christie - Hercule Poirot 23: Overal Is De Duivel (Evil Under the Sun)

Agatha Christie - Miss Marple 13: Moord Uit Het Verleden (Sleeping Murder)

Agatha Christie - Hercule Poirot 8: Moord Onder Vuurwerk (Peril at End House)

Agatha Christie - Miss Marple 9: De Spiegel Barstte (The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side)

Agatha Christie - Elfde Vijfling: Het Wespennest, Hercule Poirot 22: Moord in de Martelstoel, Mysterie in Market Basing, Hercule Poirot 25: De Laagte, Een Handvol Juwelen (Wasp's Nest; One, Two, Buckle My Shoe; The Market Basing Mystery; The Hollow; The Double Clue)

Agatha Christie - De Verfilmde Bestsellers Van Agatha Christie: Hercule Poirot 10: Moord in de Orient-express, Hercule Poirot 27: De Moordenaar Waagt een Gok, Hercule Poirot 11: Drama in Drie Bedrijven (Murder on the Orient Express, Taken at the Flood / There is a Tide House, Tree-act Tragedy / Murder in Three Acts)

Peter Jan Rens - Meneer Meier

Thea Beckman - Wij Zijn Wegwerpkinderen

Cathy Hopkins - Tina Topper 56: Alles Komt Goed (Mates, Dates 4: Mates, Dates and Sleepover Secrets)

Lisa Papademetriou and Mimi McCoy - Tina Topper 89: Populair of Niet? / De Sterren Vertellen

Carry Slee - Link: Bliksemeiland & Vervalst

R. L. Stine - Kippenvel: Monsterbloed II (Goosebumps: Monster Blood II)

Tais Teng - De Griezelklas 1: Bloedzusters

R. L. Stine - Point Horror: De Sneeuwman (The Snowman)

Diane Hoh - Point Horror: De Getuige (The Fever)

R. L. Stine - Point Horror: De Babysitter 1: De Babysitter (The Babysitter)

Simone van der Vlugt - De Ooggetuige

Tad Williams - Staartjager's Zang (Tailchaser's Song)

Markus Zusak - Wolfe Brothers 3: Als Honden Huilen (When Dogs Cry)

Marian Keyes - 2x Marian Keyes: Sushi voor Beginners & Betrapt! - (Sushi for Beginners, The Other Side of the Story)

Gary Gibson - Against Gravity

Hugh Howey - Silo 1: Silo (Wool)

Julian May - Boreal 2: De Getijden Van Blenholme (Boreal Moon 2: Ironcrown Moon)

* interesting note, I bought one book called 'De Getuige' (the witness) and one called 'De Ooggetuige' (the eyewitness)

NewBooksKringloopwinkelSpines.jpg

NewBooksKringloopwinkelCovers1_0.25.jpg

NewBooksKringloopwinkelCovers2_0.25.jpg

NewBooksKringloopwinkelCovers3_0.25.jpg

NewBooksKringloopwinkelCovers4_0.25.jpg

I'm happy with my new books :D.

And in case anyone missed it in another topic, here is my new curtain / tapestry / fabric that I'm very happy with. It has a thingy to the side so we can pull it away if we need to go through the door. I love it :).

DSC04456_0.25.jpg

We also found some books on the attic, that I'd been looking for :). I catalogued those too. Unfortunately some others are still missing, I hope to find them.

My goodness, that's a lot of books!

I love your new curtain, and I'm so pleased you found some of your books in the attic. I know you've been wanting to find them for a while. I hope you find the rest soon!

:D

I didn't know you were interested in any David Baldacci!  I hope you like the Gregory :hide:   All the Agatha Christie looks good, We did the play Witness for the Prosecution.

RL Stein's The Snowman is supposed to be good.

Enjoy!  I love the pictures!  That is a lot of cataloguing!

My goodness, that's a lot of books!

I love your new curtain, and I'm so pleased you found some of your books in the attic. I know you've been wanting to find them for a while. I hope you find the rest soon!

I didn't plan on getting so many so close together but.. :D.

:D

I didn't know you were interested in any David Baldacci!  I hope you like the Gregory :hide:   All the Agatha Christie looks good, We did the play Witness for the Prosecution.

RL Stein's The Snowman is supposed to be good.

Enjoy!  I love the pictures!  That is a lot of cataloguing!

I have only read a couple of David Baldacci's books, but when I saw this one cheap in English, I couldn't resist. I don't know if it will be good or whether it will be my thing. But if it isn't, my brother's girlfriend is a big fan so :P. Thanks, I hope so too! Nice you did that play :).

The Snowman is good! I've read it before, several times. I haven't yet been able to find my own copy (nor of the other two Point Horror books), so I had to take a chance. I'm hoping I will still find it and have wasted a euro. But if I don't find them, at least I have these three. They mean a lot to me so. This is the first time I saw them in any shop (since I bought mine in the '90s.)

Thanks :)! It was a lot of cataloguing :thud:. I look forward to sit down and rest and read, soon :giggle2:.

I read Geronimo Stilton - Ridders van Fantasia 4: De Duistere Kroon (Cronache del Regno della Fantasia: La Corona d'Ombra). It took me 4 days to read this book, because I was doing lots of cataloguing and cleaning up (see an earlier post in this thread). It took me a bit of time to get into this book, because I haven't read book 3, so I was a bit confused at first as to what had happened. Things do get briefly explained though and I was able to follow the book just fine. I enjoyed reading this book. It's not one of my favourite books in the series but it was enjoyable :).

I see that you bought Camel club by David Baldacci. I really hope you like it. I think I have read all of David Baldacci's books as he is one of my favorites. If you ever see his book "Wish You Well" on sale at the library please do get it. It is completely different than most of his books and I know you will love it.

I see that you bought Camel club by David Baldacci. I really hope you like it. I think I have read all of David Baldacci's books as he is one of my favorites. If you ever see his book "Wish You Well" on sale at the library please do get it. It is completely different than most of his books and I know you will love it.

Thanks :)! It was an English one and at such a low price I couldn't resist. If I ever see Wish You Well on sale at the library I will be sure to get it :).

I bought a few books at the charity shop and I got a few 'for free' by trade. I haven't made the lists for these yet, so that will follow.

In other news, this morning my dad found a lot of my old books up the attic :exc:. They were with my sister's stuff, in a box with her name on it :irked:. But I'm so happy he's found them :D :D. So I will be cataloguing them. During the past weekend my parents found a couple of my books on their book shelves. So there's only a few books missing now (that I can remember) but I have no idea where those could be. My parents also got rid of their old English books so I looked through the pile and took a few that seemed nice to me. Today we finished off our work on the attic!! It looks so much better now.

I read quite a few books for the read-a-thon and will now post some thoughts on them.

Roddy Doyle - Dead Man Talking

This was the first real read-a-thon read, and unfortunately.. I really didn't like it at all. Halfway through I was doubting whether to stop or not, but since it was "only" 99 pages I thought I should persevere to see if it'd get better. It didn't. The part of the synopsis doesn't happen until further than one third through the book. I didn't like the writing style of the book. One plot twist I guessed, the other I didn't understand. I didn't understand what happened in the book, the ending only made it more confusing for me. The book was very repetitive, a lot of similar conversations for example. Just.. ugh. I really don't recommend this.

Ann M. Martin - Babysittersclub 37: Betty En De Onmogelijke Liefde (The Babysitter's Club 37: Dawn and the Older Boy) (re-read)

Ann M. Martin - The Babysitter's Club 38: Kristy's Mystery Admirer (re-read)

As always I enjoyed reading these two BSC novels. Beforehand I wasn't so looking forward to them, as the books about love were never my favourites, but re-reading them I did enjoy them more than I thought I would.

A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 18: De Cock En De Moord In Extase

This was pretty good! I did guess one part about 'whodunnit'. This book was a little bit different from the others I've read of the series, because in the beginning we get a tiny glimpse of what's going on inside the murderer's head. Usually you don't have the murder described like that, just how the two detectives / policemen first hear of the murder and then go see the body.

Terry Deary (ill. Martin Brown) - Waanzinnig om te Weten: Die Rare Romeinen (Horrible Histories: Rotten Romans) (re-read)

It was great to read this book again. There are a lot of interesting facts in the book, and the illustrations were very nice. The book was funny in places.

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 34: Ik Ben Geen Supermuis! (Non Sono un Supertopo!)

This was a nice Stilton read. I was particularly impressed with the way this children's book described stress / anxiety, I could really identify with what happened in the book.

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 65: Een Magische Kerst (La Magica Notte degli Elfi)

This was a nice Christmas themed book (I know, a bit odd to read in February :P).

Geronimo Stilton - De Avonturen van Tom Sawyer (Le Aventure di Tom Sawyer)

This was a retelling of the famous book I believe. It was nice. I didn't read the original book, but the retelling was okay. The story didn't appeal to me as much as some of the other retellings have, but I did enjoy reading it.

Geronimo Stilton - Reis door de Tijd 5 (Viaggio nel Tempo 5)

It was interesting to learn about the 4 periods of history described in this book. I did find one of the characters annoying but he's meant to be so I guess that's okay. I really liked the illustrations and particularly what happened on the first destination the characters went to.

Geronimo Stilton - Fantasia III (Terzo Viaggio nel Regno della Fantasia)

This was pretty good. It's not my favourite fantasia book, but I enjoyed reading it and I liked the illustrations.

Thea Stilton - De Zeven Rozen 1: Het Betoverde Meer (Il Segreto delle Fate del Lago)

This was quite good, I really enjoyed reading it. The illustrations were quite pretty and I liked the book a lot.

Luc Embrechts and Eric Bouwens - Vampierzootje 2: De Spiegel van Toetan-thep

This was nice. I read books 3 and 4 last year, so I did already know bits of what was going to happen. I did giggle at some parts, there were some funny moments in the book.

Liz Pichon - Tom Gates 8: Yes! No. (Maybe...)

This was pretty good. Now, a day later, one of the twists is still in my head. I really didn't see that one coming! I liked the illustrations and I enjoyed reading this book.

Ann M. Martin - The Baby-Sitters Club Graphic Novels 1: Kristy's Geweldige Idee (Kristy's Great Idea)

I read the English version of this on my Kindle, in 2014. However since it was on my Kindle, it was in black-and-white scale, and the pictures and text were rather small to read. I found a coloured paperbook in the library, in Dutch. It was so great to read the story in colour! It really adds to it. I do find it interesting that for this newer translation, as opposed to the translation of the original book this graphic novel is based on, around 1990, this time most of the names are left the same as in English, whereas in the translation of the original book almost all of the names were changed to more Dutch sounding names. I guess with the technology of nowadays, children and teenagers get exposed to more American names so I think the translator(s) thought the names would be understandable enough.

Alice Pantermüller and Daniela Kohl - De Knotsgekke Wereld van Lotte Wirwar 2: Superschapen en Wilde Konijnen (Mein Lotta-Leben 2: Wie Belämmert Ist Das Denn?)

This had some cute illustrations and a nice story.

Sabine Zett (ill. Ute Krause) - Hugo 4: Very Important Hugo (Dutch)

It took me a bit of time to get into this story. I've read books 2 and 3 (and now 4) but not book 1 (I haven't found that one available yet at the library). The story got more interesting a little while later, and I enjoyed reading it.

And.. since I already read them now, here are two pictures of the two books I got from the library last Saturday:

LibraryReservationsSpines_0.25.jpg

LibraryReservationsCovers_0.25.jpg

Edited by Athena

Three more reservations of the library to come, hopefully not too long from now.

New books from Terre des Hommes:

Jack Vance - Nopalgarth 1: De Zoon Van De Boom (Son of the Tree)

Jack Vance - De Vijf Gouden Banden (The Space Pirate)

Lisette Jonkman - Verkikkerd 1: Verkikkerd

John Varley - De Gaiaanse Trilogie 2: Tovenaar (Gaea Trilogy 2: Wizard)

Martin Hocke - Het Verloren Domein (The Lost Domain)

Scott Lynch - De Kronieken van Locke Lamora 2: Rode Zee Onder Een Rode Hemel (Gentleman 'person of dubious parentage' 2: Red Seas Under Red Skies)

TdHSpines_0.25.jpg

TdHCovers_0.25.jpg

Terre des Hommes free book case trade:

Tom Godwin, John Wyndham, Robert A. Heinlein, Ray Bradbury, Judith Merril, Richard Wilson, Robert F. Young, Henry Kuttner, Theodore L. Thomas, Isaac Asimov, C. M. Kornbluth, Fredric Brown, Philip K. Dick and Arthur C. Clarke - Science Fiction Verhalen: De Koude Vergelijkingen; Het Wiel; Het Chronoclasme; De Lange Wacht; De Verkeersweg; Caleidoscoop; De Glans Van De Dageraad; Geef Me De Ruimte; Dokter In De Wildernis; Of Anders; De Verre Blik; De Onsterfeljike Poeet; Het Altaar te Middernacht; Het Wapen; Foster, je bent dood; Geschiedenisles (The Cold Equations; The Wheel; The Long Watch; The Highway; The Chronoclasm; So Proudly We Hail; Kaleidoscope; Don't Fence me in; Jungle Doctor; Or Else; The Far Look; The Immortal Bard; The Altar at Midnight; The Weapon; Foster, you're dead; History Lesson)

Herbert D. Kastle, Harry Harrison, Philip José Farmer, Richard Matheson, Murray Leinster and Neal Barrett Jr. - De Beste Sci-Fi Uit Amazing & Fantastic 2: De God op de 36ste Verdieping; Ontaard; Hoe Diep Zijn de Groeven; Gek Huis; De Psionische Muizenval; Het Spel (The God on 36th Floor; Down to Earth; How Deep the Grooves; Mad House; The Psionic Mousetrap; The Game)

A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 41: De Cock En De Dode Meesters

TdHFreeBookCaseSpines_0,5.jpg

TdHFreeBookCaseCovers_0.25.jpg

I read Thea Stilton - Heksen van Fantasia 2: De Heks van Vuur en Vlam (Strega delle Fiamme). This was an enjoyable read. I do enjoy reading the Stilton books. This year so far though I've read more children's books than books for adults, but I plan on reading some more books for adults later in the month and year.

I read Thea Stilton - Heksen van Fantasia 2: De Heks van Vuur en Vlam (Strega delle Fiamme). This was an enjoyable read. I do enjoy reading the Stilton books. This year so far though I've read more children's books than books for adults, but I plan on reading some more books for adults later in the month and year.

Plus, some 1300 pages will be the Gone series :D  I'm glad you finished this, now I really need to get a move on Lies!

In other news, this morning my dad found a lot of my old books up the attic :exc:. They were with my sister's stuff, in a box with her name on it :irked:. But I'm so happy he's found them :D :D. So I will be cataloguing them. During the past weekend my parents found a couple of my books on their book shelves. So there's only a few books missing now (that I can remember) but I have no idea where those could be. My parents also got rid of their old English books so I looked through the pile and took a few that seemed nice to me. Today we finished off our work on the attic!! It looks so much better now.

Yay, I'm so happy that your books were finally found!! I'm so happy for you! :smile2: You must've been really excited to finally have them, I know you've been missing them for quite a while! :smile2: 

Plus, some 1300 pages will be the Gone series :D  I'm glad you finished this, now I really need to get a move on Lies!

That's true :D a lot of pages. Good luck, I hope you enjoy Lies :). I plan to finish it today.

Yay, I'm so happy that your books were finally found!! I'm so happy for you! :smile2: You must've been really excited to finally have them, I know you've been missing them for quite a while! :smile2:

Thank you :smile2:! I'm so happy my dad found them :D.

I read Michael Grant - Gone 3: Lies. This was pretty good, I enjoyed reading it. I look forward to see what the remaining 3 books will be like. I don't want to say too much in case of spoilers, but I enjoyed this book just as much as the first and second books in the series.

I also read Thea Stilton - Heksen van Fantasia 6: De Heks van Geur en Kleur (Strega dell'Aria), which was enjoyable. I look forward to read book 7 some time (and books 1 and 4).

I bought a few books at the charity shop and I got a few 'for free' by trade. I haven't made the lists for these yet, so that will follow.

Yay! Good work, Dad!! :D Maybe you should look for the rest of your books in other boxes with your sister's name on them! Was she hoping you'd forget about them so she could have them?  :o  :giggle:

Roddy Doyle - Dead Man Talking

This was the first real read-a-thon read, and unfortunately.. I really didn't like it at all. Halfway through I was doubting whether to stop or not, but since it was "only" 99 pages I thought I should persevere to see if it'd get better. It didn't. The part of the synopsis doesn't happen until further than one third through the book. I didn't like the writing style of the book. One plot twist I guessed, the other I didn't understand. I didn't understand what happened in the book, the ending only made it more confusing for me. The book was very repetitive, a lot of similar conversations for example. Just.. ugh. I really don't recommend this.

Interesting! I've never read anything by Roddy Doyle, and know nothing about his writing style, but he's very famous here. Considered an Irish classic really. I wonder if I would agree with your thoughts.... might stick one of his books in my Irish challenge.

Yay! Good work, Dad!! :D Maybe you should look for the rest of your books in other boxes with your sister's name on them! Was she hoping you'd forget about them so she could have them?  :o  :giggle:

I was so happy :D (still am). Haha :giggle2:. No, I think it's because we moved that somehow the name got put on the wrong box. There was one book in the box that once belonged to my sister, but many years ago she gave it to me. I think maybe when one of my parents wrote the name on the box, they thought it was hers because of that book, maybe. Though the rest of them have always belonged to me.

Interesting! I've never read anything by Roddy Doyle, and know nothing about his writing style, but he's very famous here. Considered an Irish classic really. I wonder if I would agree with your thoughts.... might stick one of his books in my Irish challenge.

I'd be interested to hear what you think! I didn't know he was that famous. I'm sorry I didn't get on with this particular book :(. I just really didn't like it :blush2:.

I'd be interested to hear what you think! I didn't know he was that famous. I'm sorry I didn't get on with this particular book :(. I just really didn't like it :blush2:.

Don't be sorry, I could well hate him too! He'd be as well known as Frank McCourt (author of Angela's Ashes) and books like that. Probably more famous in Ireland than anywhere else. I've always meant to try him purely for the sake of it because he's so well known, you know?

Several people on here have read books by him. He wrote Het Diner (The Dinner), Geachte Heer M. (Dear Mister M.) and Zomerhuis met Zwembad (Summer House with Swimming Pool) (and possibly others that I haven't heard of). I liked the first one, didn't like the second one much and haven't read the third book I mentioned (but I do own it). Here is the thread. One or more people who haven't posted in the thread, have read The Dinner as well, I belive some liked it more than others.