Your Book Activity - March 2015

chesilbeach

WHAAAAT?!! That's so awesome! I have to read that :D

I also want to read her other book, which I think is an autobiography. 

edit: by her I mean Amy Poehler not Leslie Knope

I know right? I had no idea such a book existed! It looks so good.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished Commander by Stephen Taylor.  I've planned this very badly, as I wasn't expecting to read the last part that quickly and don't have another paperback or my Kindle with me, so now I have nothing to read for the rest of the day  :doh:

Just finished Commander by Stephen Taylor.  I've planned this very badly, as I wasn't expecting to read the last part that quickly and don't have another paperback or my Kindle with me, so now I have nothing to read for the rest of the day  :doh:

Awwww, that's not nice at all :(.

When I picked up this book at the library, I was chatting with the librarian, and she said this as good, but she thought it wasn't quite as good as the Rosie Project. So I was a bit apprehensive starting reading this one :unsure:, but thankfully I am loving this book now  :wub: .

There will always be people who don't like the sequels as much as the great first novel, and that's quite alright. But it's dangerous for a librarian to say a thing like that, unless they know the customer very well and know that they'll read the book anyway to make up their own mind :o Thankfully she didn't stop you from wanting to read it. Hurraah!! :exc: 

I started The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson today and I'm already one-third of the way through it. It's so hard to put down! I finished one chapter and thought 'I'll just read a page or two of the next chapter', and before I knew it I had finished that one too. Excellent book!

For some reason I always thought you've already read the book!  :doh:  I'm really happy to hear you're liking it! :smile2: I should bump it up on the must-borrow-from-library-and-read list :D 

I've also decided to put together a book jar like so many of you on here to help me pick when I'm stuck, which has lead to a sorting of mount TBR. Looking forward to finishing this task today - there's quite a few books I'd forgotten I'd bought

Yay for yet another book jar -experimentalist! :D 

I suppose you could pop in to the bookshops during your lunch break? Not that you normally would, but as it's rather a special occasion and you didn't plan it, and you must of course have something to read.... :giggle2: 

I'm on page 182 of The Rosie Effect. Want to read more! 

Yay for another book jar :D Hope you're enjoying Best Served Cold .. I've not read it but I loved Joe's First Law trilogy and the book is in the house somewhere. Actually not sure it is in my jar :unsure: .. must put that right :blush2: Roughly how many books will be in your jar? 

I've finished Murder Most Unladylike .. brilliant .. now continuing on with Murder on the Orient Express :) 

Well I wasn't going to count them since knowing how many books I have that I haven't read scares me...but since you asked it's 253 :hide:

For some reason I always thought you've already read the book!  :doh:  I'm really happy to hear you're liking it! :smile2: I should bump it up on the must-borrow-from-library-and-read list :D

I've probably just talked about wanting to read it a lot (like I do with many books!) :roll: I wasn't sure if you had read it either, so I checked on Goodreads  (before I read your post above, obviously) and found it on your wishlist. I really think you'll enjoy The Psychopath Test! It's right up your alley because it's about mental health and criminals. It's also a really fast and easy read, and a bit funny in places. I'm sure you won't regret bumping it up your list! :D I only have a couple of chapters left to read. I have around four other books by Jon Ronson on my TBR pile. I can't wait to read them all now!

In other book activity, I received a couple of books in the mail today. I'll post details in my reading log later.

I've probably just talked about wanting to read it a lot (like I do with many books!) :roll: I wasn't sure if you had read it either, so I checked on Goodreads  (before I read your post above, obviously) and found it on your wishlist. I really think you'll enjoy The Psychopath Test! It's right up your alley because it's about mental health and criminals. It's also a really fast and easy read, and a bit funny in places. I'm sure you won't regret bumping it up your list! :D I only have a couple of chapters left to read. I have around four other books by Jon Ronson on my TBR pile. I can't wait to read them all now!

In other book activity, I received a couple of books in the mail today. I'll post details in my reading log later.

Yeah, I guess you've talked about wanting to read it a lot, and possibly then when you bought a copy, I somehow registered that as having read the copy :rolleyes:  :doh:

I've actually started reading the book once, at the end of last year, and I really enjoyed what I read. But I didn't finish it for some reason... Can't remember why. I possibly had other, fictional novels that were more engaging. Or not necessarily more engaging, but I was more in the mood for fiction. I wonder which Ronson book you'll tackle next. I wonder if you will read all of them one after another :D 

I just finished The Psychopath Test. Brilliant stuff!

Yeah, I guess you've talked about wanting to read it a lot, and possibly then when you bought a copy, I somehow registered that as having read the copy :rolleyes:  :doh:

Not to mention that I think I might have accidentally bought a second copy of this book at some stage, so I probably talked about buying it twice. :doh: Maybe you registered the second discussion as me reading it!

I've actually started reading the book once, at the end of last year, and I really enjoyed what I read. But I didn't finish it for some reason... Can't remember why. I possibly had other, fictional novels that were more engaging. Or not necessarily more engaging, but I was more in the mood for fiction. I wonder which Ronson book you'll tackle next. I wonder if you will read all of them one after another :D

I don't usually like to read an author's books one after another for some reason. This is why I have so many series that I've started reading but haven't finished. And then of course I take such a long time between books that I forget what happens in between. But that's getting off topic a bit. I find Ronson to be so engaging and easy to read that I am actually tempted to start another one of his books immediately...that's how good he is! :D

Oh noes! I've just realised that I don't have Lost at Sea listed on my TBR pile, even though I actually own a copy (actually it might have been that one that I bought two copies of). Anyway, that means I have to put my TBR pile up again, having just brought it down by one (which means my TBR pile did reach 2000 books, but now stands at 1999...again).

I have 5 more of his books on my TBR pile, so it's a good thing I enjoyed TPT! I might read The Men Who Stare at Goats next, because that's the first one of his that I bought.

I suppose you could pop in to the bookshops during your lunch break? Not that you normally would, but as it's rather a special occasion and you didn't plan it, and you must of course have something to read.... :giggle2:

The three bookshops near here have been closed down, otherwise I would.

I've finished Murder Most Unladylike .. brilliant .. :)

Yay, pleased you liked it! :smile2:

I finished the sequel, Arsenic for Tea today, and although it's not set at the school but at Daisy's home (her parents are Lord and Lady Hastings, so they live in a country house) it's just as good! :D

Yay, pleased you liked it! :smile2:

I finished the sequel, Arsenic for Tea today, and although it's not set at the school but at Daisy's home (her parents are Lord and Lady Hastings, so they live in a country house) it's just as good! :D

Ooh .. I'm slightly disappointed to hear they're not back at Deepdean (will they be going back do you think?) .. still I'm encouraged to hear that it's just as good :) Perhaps there was a limit to how many murders/mysteries etc could feasibly take place at the school :D I loved it though .. like Malory Towers but with murder! :D

I was a bit worried when I realised it wasn't set in the school as well, but believe me, you don't mind at all … and they do have a governess while they're staying at Daisy's house, and some of her school friends stay with them, so it's still a bit like school in a way. :D

I was a bit worried when I realised it wasn't set in the school as well, but believe me, you don't mind at all … and they do have a governess while they're staying at Daisy's house, and some of her school friends stay with them, so it's still a bit like school in a way. :D

Ah .. I'm reassured :DI love the pair of them anyway so I'm pretty sure I'd love any story with them in it but the school setting was fab. Do you know how many more there might be? 

They would make brilliant adaptations for TV :)

Ah .. I'm reassured :DI love the pair of them anyway so I'm pretty sure I'd love any story with them in it but the school setting was fab. Do you know how many more there might be? 

They would make brilliant adaptations for TV :)

I found the original news item saying the Orion had signed her for a three book deal, and book three is out in July. With nominations for awards and good sales, I would hope she would be signed up for further books, but haven't seen anything more in the book press.

I found the original news item saying the Orion had signed her for a three book deal, and book three is out in July. With nominations for awards and good sales, I would hope she would be signed up for further books, but haven't seen anything more in the book press.

They've been so successful .. you see them promoted everywhere. Must be exciting for her :)

Ooh .. book three out this summer. I've just looked it up and it says the girls are on the Orient Express :D I've only just read Agatha's version of that :D Made me laugh actually as Poirot's suspect list was suspiciously like Hazel and Daisy's :D

I know right? I had no idea such a book existed! It looks so good.

I can just imagine the things that Leslie would say in a book about Pawnee. Just another reason that Amy Poehler is one of my favorite people ever  :lol:  :jump:

I bought it today for my Kindle but it displays two pages at a time, so it turns sideways and is unreadable on a small device :roll: Having to read it on my laptop, on which it still has pretty tiny writing. Not hugely impressed, given that I paid nearly the price of a physical book for it :roll:

I bought it today for my Kindle but it displays two pages at a time, so it turns sideways and is unreadable on a small device :roll: Having to read it on my laptop, on which it still has pretty tiny writing. Not hugely impressed, given that I paid nearly the price of a physical book for it :roll:

Because it's an informational book, I could see that happening. Is there not any settings that could change that?

If I do buy it, I will definitely buy it as a physical book now that I know this is a problem. I'm sure it wasn't cheap either, because these types of books never are. 

Nope, no settings. If they just showed ONE page at a time, like they do with every other book, it would be fine. That should at least be an option.

I might buy the physical version eventually, but I was impatient to read it :lol:

Nope, no settings. If they just showed ONE page at a time, like they do with every other book, it would be fine. That should at least be an option.

I might buy the physical version eventually, but I was impatient to read it :lol:

That's so weird that they would change it like that. Especially considering that all kindles are relatively small. And if it still looks small on a computer screen that is awful. I wonder if there is some sort of contact that you can complain to?

There isn't even any way to zoom in - on the computer I can double click to magnify text, but it only works on the footnotes!

It's hardly worth complaining about, I just won't ever buy a book like that on Kindle.

There isn't even any way to zoom in - on the computer I can double click to magnify text, but it only works on the footnotes!

It's hardly worth complaining about, I just won't ever buy a book like that on Kindle.

Now that you say that about only the footnotes getting larger makes me think that kindle thinks each page is a picture. Which would make sense considering the type of book it is. I'm sure if you downloaded the Guiness Book of World Records or something similar it would be the same way. 

Good advice for anyone wanting a book like that. Do not buy on kindle :lol:

Being locked in a body you can't control... the flip side of zombie horror is my next read with Hugh Howey's I, Zombie.  Pretty gross so far :P

Edited by Anna Begins