Laura's Fantasy Corner 2015

Signor Finzione

Yup.  Agree completely.  IIRC, at least some of your questions are answered in Return of the Crimson Guard.  Plus it resolves at least one major plot thread from the main series.  As a book it's no better than NoK, though :(

What are you reading next? :smile:

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup.  Agree completely.  IIRC, at least some of your questions are answered in Return of the Crimson Guard.  Plus it resolves at least one major plot thread from the main series.  As a book it's no better than NoK, though :(

Yeah, it's so infuriating! The actual stories themselves are probably great (because Erikson helped him plan them :rolleyes: ), and I really want to read the content of them . . . it's just a shame the style is so poo. :( ('Pedestrian' - I used your word! Did you notice? :D )

What are you reading next? :smile:

I've actually just started Milkweed #2. :) I'm enjoying it so far, though am struggling to get some of the references to the first book, the events of which I've completely forgotten. :giggle2:

EDIT: I meant to say Esslemont's writing style is 'poor'. Not poo. :giggle:

Edited by Signor Finzione

I've actually just started Milkweed #2. :) I'm enjoying it so far, though am struggling to get some of the references to the first book, the events of which I've completely forgotten. :giggle2:

That's a real shame, cos you're going to miss out on some of brilliant pay-offs to set-ups from the first book.  There was one particular bit that had me diving straight back into Bitter Seeds to confirm it, and coming away in awe :o  :D

Yeah, it's so infuriating! The actual stories themselves are probably great (because Erikson helped him plan them :rolleyes: ), and I really want to read the content of them . . . it's just a shame the style is so poo. :( ('Pedestrian' - I used your word! Did you notice? :D )

Pedestrian or poo, they both apply :giggle2:

Great review! It's really a shame the Esslemont books aren't as good as the Erikson ones (according to you and Steve and others). I really should get on with (re)starting the series some time, but heh so many books.. I will though. I've got two of Erikson's books near my desk (along with quite a few other books), as a reminder to myself :).

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoy :D!!

Thank you!! :D

Been a bit behind with my reading and reviewing recently. :hide: I've finished The Coldest War by Ian Tregillis, as well as The Liar's Key by Mark Lawrence, and thought both were fantastic reads. I'm currently a small way into a re-read of Lawrence's King of Thorns, and have also started to read Blood Follows by Steven Erikson. :)

In other news: my first book from the Tor competition has arrived already! :exc: :exc: :exc:

11012542_10153527796664497_5792022968968

I'm really excited, as I've already read the first two books in the series and have had Ruin on my wishlist for months! Thanks again Michelle! :D

Woohoo! A cat and a new book :D! I quite like that cover. I hope you enjoy the book :)!

Thanks Gaia! I love the cover art for this series - Malice and Valour were both striking too, and they all match wonderfully. :D

And yes, you know Kili: she's never one to miss a photo opportunity. :lol:

Great picture! I have Malice on my Kindle but can't bring myself to start any new fantasy series right now :giggle2:

Hope you enjoy it!

Oh, shush, you sound like Steve. :rolleyes::D

I'm sure I'll love it, if only I can try and remember what happened in the first two books . . . :giggle2:

Aww, torties rule ! Great pic !  :D

I have to sneak up on my Furry Princess to get a photo ; she hates the clicky noise and the flash.  :hide:

Thanks! :D Yeah, all three of my moggies love to hog the spotlight. Whenever I try and take pictures of new books they come and plonk themselves down in the middle of the photo, as though saying "look at meeeeeee!" Cuties. :giggle2:

Thanks! :D Yeah, all three of my moggies love to hog the spotlight. Whenever I try and take pictures of new books they come and plonk themselves down in the middle of the photo, as though saying "look at meeeeeee!" Cuties. :giggle2:

" Mum ! Why you read books instead of play wiv me ".  :giggle2:

Yes, he does sound sensible  :D

Worked out I have at least 13 series on the go at the moment, that's not including unfinished series. :thud:

So yes, very sensible :P

Pah! You can never have too many series on the go. Especially fantasy! It comes with the territory. :D

" Mum ! Why you read books instead of play wiv me ".  :giggle2:

:lol: Our black and white mental case cat Loki actually said "mum" earlier when he was meowing to go for his walkies!! :D

Kili is just so adorable.  :wub: I'd like to get another cat in the next six months or so, and I'm hoping for a calico/torty. :)

Aw, that's awesome. :) Will you go for a girl or a boy? And will you go to a rescue home, or a breeder, or just anyone who has spare cats available?

Have you had a tortie before ? They`re so different from `regular` cats.  :smile:

Yes, they're beeaaaauuuuutiful! :D Ours have so much personality too. They're half-pedigree, and Kili likes to settle down with her head in the air and her eyes closed as though she's a queen inviting everyone to admire her. :giggle2:

Oh!  Love the pic of your baby!  She's gorgeously sweet looking. :D

Nice looking books, too, even though not my cuppa. :)

Thanks Cate! Don't tell the other cats, but she's my favourite. ;)

I think I should just call next year's reading log "Laura's Cat Corner". :D:giggle2:

Worked out I have at least 13 series on the go at the moment, that's not including unfinished series. :thud:

So yes, very sensible :P

That is a lot! 

Kili is just so adorable.  :wub: I'd like to get another cat in the next six months or so, and I'm hoping for a calico/torty. :)

I hope you will be able to find a lovely cat :).

Have you had a tortie before ? They`re so different from `regular` cats.  :smile:

Nope. I've only had my ginger boy. How are they different? I read that they have more attitude or something. Is that correct?

:lol: Our black and white mental case cat Loki actually said "mum" earlier when he was meowing to go for his walkies!! :D

Aw, that's awesome. :) Will you go for a girl or a boy? And will you go to a rescue home, or a breeder, or just anyone who has spare cats available?

I definitely want to rescue one. :) I'm not too sure about whether I should get a boy or a girl. I'll probably make a decision based on the recommendations of the people at the shelter.

Sweet !  :D

Don't you mean 'creepy'? :o

I hope you will be able to find a lovely cat :).

Thanks! I'm sure it won't be difficult. I follow a few animal rescue pages on Facebook and I see a couple of cats every day that I'd love to have. :D

Nope. I've only had my ginger boy. How are they different? I read that they have more attitude or something. Is that correct?

Torties are downloaded with Personality+, or Tortitude.  ;)

They run around with their little tails in the air shouting `whee!`, they love cuddles and are super-friendly.   :D  Though maybe that`s just mine, and the rest are cheeky so-and-sos.  :giggle2:

Don't you mean 'creepy'?  :o

The cat said ` Mum` not ` bum` - that would`ve been odd.   :blush: