Melodious 2015 Reading List

Melodious

I'm glad you enjoyed re-reading LOTR. I must get around to it some day. I liked The Hobbit but didn't love it. It's amazing though when you think about these books being written quite some time ago.

I hope you enjoy your current read a bit more later on, and that you enjoy your new poem collection!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad you enjoyed re-reading LOTR. I must get around to it some day. I liked The Hobbit but didn't love it. It's amazing though when you think about these books being written quite some time ago.

I hope you enjoy your current read a bit more later on, and that you enjoy your new poem collection!

Have you not read them? You could probably count the fantasy books I've read on one hand but LotR is something unique. The Hobbit is OK but its very different from it's sibling, one is a children's book and the other is a complete mythology. You're right, they were written many years ago but are still held as the benchmark for fantasy literature. Like any massive hit it comes down to appealing to people who wouldn't normally read that genre, the fantasy book to read for none fantasy fans as it were. 

Have you not read them? You could probably count the fantasy books I've read on one hand but LotR is something unique. The Hobbit is OK but its very different from it's sibling, one is a children's book and the other is a complete mythology. You're right, they were written many years ago but are still held as the benchmark for fantasy literature. Like any massive hit it comes down to appealing to people who wouldn't normally read that genre, the fantasy book to read for none fantasy fans as it were.

No, I haven't read them. I watched the first film quite some time ago and didn't get on with it. I watched all three films a few years ago and liked the whole thing a lot more. I bought the books as well as The Hobbit book. I read The Hobbit which I liked but didn't love, I felt it had some problems and the language wasn't the easiest to read for me (English being my second language). I plan to read LOTR eventually but there are other fantasy books I want to read more, first. I hope to read it eventually though.

Thanks Julie. I think after reading The Road every book is blue skies and rainbows in comparison :P  

Hah, very true. :)  Although The Road is on my list of favorites.  McCarthy's others have been too bloody, so far.

I've not gotten along with Steinbeck, only have completed East of Eden, by the hardest.  I'm not sure why, although a question my husband saw somewhere about metaphors got me to thinking.  I'm still analyzing. :)

Yeah Kay I tend to skip the songs too.

The Road is a brilliant piece of work and one I want to re-read again soon. I haven't read anymore of McCarthy's work but the movie No Country for Old Men is great.

No, I haven't read them. I watched the first film quite some time ago and didn't get on with it. I watched all three films a few years ago and liked the whole thing a lot more. I bought the books as well as The Hobbit book. I read The Hobbit which I liked but didn't love, I felt it had some problems and the language wasn't the easiest to read for me (English being my second language). I plan to read LOTR eventually but there are other fantasy books I want to read more, first. I hope to read it eventually though.

Would you not read the Dutch translations? (I'm assuming you're Dutch here :P) It must be wonderful to read a book in another language. If it's one thing we fail at in the UK it's languages.

Yes .. The Road .. very grim and harrowing but excellent. I must read LOTR again one day .. I loved it .. all except the songs :D 

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the songs either to be honest, at least in The Hobbit.

Would you not read the Dutch translations? (I'm assuming you're Dutch here :P) It must be wonderful to read a book in another language. If it's one thing we fail at in the UK it's languages.

If the original book is in English I prefer to read the original English one. Also, for the translation it really depends, because my parents have an old translation of it, which according to them and my sister was very hard to read. My brother's girlfriend though read a more modern translation, which she liked. I'm quite particular about it, especially in fantasy, that the translation has to be good. It really irks me when it's a bad translation. Also, I find it really hard to read fantasy terms in Dutch, it just sounds better / cooler / more awesome in English.

I use Windows in English too, and all my programs and video games (usually though for the latter there is no Dutch available). I mean 'save game' in Dutch, just sounds so lame :P. No offense.. I just *shrug*.

Actually, I have English copies of the LOTR books, so I'll give those a go at some point. If the language is too odd for me, I could check if the library has a translated version.. since it's such a famous work I'm sure they have it really.

The songs are usually just background information about the ancient world. LotR is just a small part of a whole mythology he created. It can be a little mind boggling really. 

A poor translation can really ruin a book. I read The Master and Margarita a few years ago and even though I enjoyed it I think a lot of the humour was lost in translation. LotR is quite archaic in its language and quite rich so a good translation is necessary. It's great that you read books in English though :)

The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro

the-remains-of-the-day.jpg

Synopsis:

In 1956, Stevens, a long-serving butler at Darlington Hall, decides to take a motoring trip through the West Country. The six-day excursion becomes a journey into the past of Stevens and England, a past that takes in fascism, two world wars and an unrealised love between the butler and his housekeeper. Ishiguro’s dazzling novel is a sad and humorous love story, a meditation on the condition of modern man, and an elegy for England at a time of acute change.

Review:

I bought this book simply off the back of a book blogger on youtube and her high praise for it. This is a highly regarded Booker Prize winner but I struggle to see what makes this book so popular. The book is written as a journal entry from a high flying butler and spends most of the book recounting tales of the past rather than the actual road trip itself. Stevens speaks an archaic form of English that was no doubt considered 'proper' once upon a time but whether some people will find a problem with this I dunno. Example:

'However because I knew her at close quarters only during her maiden years and I have not seen her once since she went to the west country to become 'Mrs Benn', you will perhaps excuse my impropriety in referring to her as I knew her, and in my mind have continued to call her throughout these years.'

That's right folks, this is how our Mr Stevens speaks to himself in his own journal. However the book reads well enough and I did find it a little predictable. The biggest problem for me is that this book is about unrealised love but there is nothing in the book to suggest why she fell in love with him in the first place. All he talks about is 'dignity' and being a great butler and none of the stories he recalls show any warmth or moment he had with the housekeeper in any way. The only possible exception is that she caught him reading a 'sentimental romance novel' one time.

So in all it's hard to feel attached to Stevens who comes across as a very boring individual. I haven't felt like this about a character since Dorian Grey. However dear readers there is still enough going on thematically in terms of loyalty, dignity and leading a worthwhile life to keep me interested and finish it. I think he's a character of blind servitude which I am myself quite the opposite so maybe a clash of philosophy didn't help either. I'm glad it wasn't any longer than it was and overall I did enjoy it but not the great novel I was expecting. Maybe I simply missed something in the subtleties. It won't put me off trying another book from Ishiguro further down the line.

3/5

There's an excellent film adaptation with Anthony Hopkins and (the always wonderful) Emma Thompson.  I haven't read the book, but I love the film, especially as a few scenes were filmed in the town where I live!  I think you do get the sense of a developing relationship between them more in the film that it sounds as if you do in the book, but Hopkins plays Stevens exactly as you've described him in your review, and it seems right for the period and the position he holds.  I'd recommend you watch it, even if only for a comparison. :)

Great review of The Remains of the Day, I think you captured the story well. Stevens is definitely not one of your usual protagonists. I think it's a case of having to read between the lines to get a better sense of him, but I'm not quite sure I did a great job with that myself. 

Edited by frankie

Good review of Remains of the Day, Melodious :smile: , as Stevens isn't at all an engaging personality, is he :mellow:  ? 

Great review of The Remains of the Day, I think you captured the story well. Stevens is definitely not one of your usual protagonists. I think it's a case of having to read between the lines to get a better sense of him, but I'm not quite sure I did a great job with that myself. 

:I-Agree:  Well said frankie.

Well I've certainly seen cardboard cut outs with a more likable personality than Stevens but he's a perfect character to explore the themes in the book. The only problem is the 'love' story is the central pillar in the book and there is no evidence as to why she has any feelings for him. Not even just a little bit here or there that you can just brush over. I guess we would need to read her journal to discover why. I can see why people would find the book moving at the end as unrealised love/life is a relateable theme for anyone. 

@Marie - I love Daria :)

2014 review

feral.jpg

Synopsis:

This book explodes with wonder and delight. Making use of remarkable scientific discoveries that transform our understanding of how natural systems work, George Monbiot explores a new, positive environmentalism that shows how damaged ecosystems on land and at sea can be restored, and how this restoration can revitalize and enrich our lives.

Challenging what he calls his “ecological boredom,” Monbiot weaves together a beautiful and riveting tale of wild places, wildlife, and wild people. Roaming the hills of Britain and the forests of Europe, kayaking off the coast of Wales with dolphins and seabirds, he seeks out the places that still possess something of the untamed spirit he would like to resurrect. He meets people trying to restore lost forests and bring back missing species—such as wolves, lynx, wolverines, wild boar, and gray whales—and explores astonishing evidence that certain species, not just humans, have the power to shape the physical landscape. This process of rewilding, Monbiot argues, offers an alternative to a silent spring: the chance of a raucous summer in which ecological processes resume and humans draw closer to the natural world..

Review:

If you are not familiar with the name George Monbiot he's the Guardian's environmental columnist. I've enjoyed his articles for many years and although I know he's written a few books, mainly on climate change, this is the first of his I have read. I came across it when I saw a clip of a talk he did for TED. In it he talks about how when wolves were reintroduced to Yellowstone National Park in the US and the subsequent change it had not just on the wildlife ecosystem but the physical changes to the landscape it produced. 

This book is a new way of looking at our environment by stripping away the large bare fields for sheep grazing (and all the damage it does to the environment) and let nature take its course. This is not to be confused with conservation which is largely keep it the same where by letting nature takes its own course will yield much better results. He links not only politics and environmental science but also the human need for natural surroundings, infact he states children in inner urban environments are more likely to get ADHD than those with access to parks, fields and woods and there are numerous reports on how a 10 minute walk in the woods/park can help with depression. He outlines passionately that rewilding would help fulfill a much neglected need for us to be closer to the natural world. To be clear he isn't saying we should all go and abandon our way of life and go back to living in the trees but he states why fly to Africa to see such exotic wildlife when we can have it on our own doorsteps?  There isn't just a scientific need for a change in our relationship but a personal one too and Monbiot makes no apologies for his own personal enthusiasm in his own wildlife adventures.

This book is hard to review as it covers so many topics and disciplines from anthropology, environmental to political. Some chapters are focused on himself while others take a more academic, informative tone. I loved this book and if you are interested in either the environment or have a interest in the natural world then its certainly worth your time and I'm convinced it will, if nothing else, make you see the world a little differently.

This is the TED talk that led me to buy the book. It's only 15 mins long and worth your time. Parts of this video has been chopped up and made into other videos that a few went viral last year so some it may seem familar.

4/5

I think with Stevens, everything is below the surface, boiling around but barely a glimmer ever really surfaces.  I'd already seen the film when I read the novel and I think it really brought it to life for me.  The nuances that Hopkins and Thompson brought to the dialogue, both interior and exterior was excellent.  So, I agree with the remarks above in that you should see the film.  I think you'll appreciate the story a lot more.  Hopkins does repressed so well, :D

2014 review

feral.jpg

I haven’t read any of Monbiot’s books so far, but this one is in my local library, so I’ll have a look at it sometime.  It's subject matter seems to be similar with Alan Weisman's The World Without Us (that one in my TBR, and Kylie & bobblybear liked that one)

(Daria is wonderfully sardonic, isn't she?  :smile: And Jane Lane is just as sharp-witted as Daria too.)

@Marie - The World Without Us is a book I'm going to read in the near future. It's been on my shelf for a while now. Feral is quite an optimistic book and is a good champion for the rewilding movement and the human need for adventure. 

Of course who could forget DeMartino? :)

@Kylie - I hope you do, it's a great talk.

193lopr4auivrjpg.jpg

Synopsis:

Under the streets of London there's a place most people could never even dream of. A city of monsters and saints, murderers and angels, knights in armour and pale girls in black velvet. This is the city of the people who have fallen between the cracks.

Richard Mayhew, a young businessman, is going to find out more than enough about this other London. A single act of kindness catapults him out of his workday existence and into a world that is at once eerily familiar and utterly bizarre. And a strange destiny awaits him down here, beneath his native city: Neverwhere.

Review:

Well this is an interesting one as I think I disliked the book almost as much as I liked it. I think this comes really down to as this is not the usual thing I like to read. The plot moves at such a breakneck speed that we never get any chance to spend time with any of the characters or the environment around us. I found it difficult to really care for any of the characters and their plight as its not really detailed out to us. It moves at such a pace that it gives no room for any tension to build or the characters to really breathe with exception of the two villains Mr Croup and Mr Vandemar who are great fun to read. I wish the book was about them to be perfectly honest with you.

A reason for this however is that the book was written along side the TV script so that could explain the quick pacing. Indeed the chase scene at the beginning interrupts another subdued scene which A) doesn't let the tension build with the chase and B) the switching between two scenes like that is very cinematic rather than a literature technique. By giving the chase its own chapter instead of a line or two here and there we can feel the build up, her breathing, the pain, fear etc but here we don't and it seems nothing more than a little interruption. This is my first Gaiman novel, the only other thing I have read by him was some of the Sandman graphic novels so I'm not sure if my hypothesis is correct or this is his usual writing style.

The characters rely on quirkiness than any real depth but in this case I think it's enough. I think the interesting environment and the way it moulds with a real one we can recognise kept the pages turning for me. There is great humour in this book too particularly from Richard, the protagonist, who is your bog standard 'fish-out-of-water' character in a sci-fi/fantasy book. The story isn't about him really but he's there so he can ask questions to have things explained to the reader about the things the other characters would have no reason to talk about otherwise.

Despite it's faults, many I admit is more to my personal taste than the writer's ability, I enjoyed this quite a lot and although I think putting in some extra detail here and there to build up a few scenes (Like the bridge for example) I would have no problems recommending this to anyone. I think this would be a great book to give say a young teenager to get them interested in reading and their eyes away from a computer screen for two minutes. Of course that's not to say anyone of any age could enjoy this book. 

I think there may be a few of you who disagree with me here.

HAVE AT YOU GAIMAN FANS  :P 

3/5

Edited by Melodious

the-old-man-and-the-sea-book.jpg

Synopsis:

An old fisherman off the coast of Havana hasn't caught a fish in 84 days and is considered to be 'unlucky' so much so that his young assistant has been forbidden by his parents to sail with him. The man lives alone but the young boy visits him in the evening, makes sure he's fed and they talk about baseball. On the 85th day the old man sails further out into the sea in hoping to end his unlucky streak, there he catches something he never expected and a three day battle ensues.

Review:

I loved this book. It's quite short (under 100 pages) but there is so much packed in here. The writing style is very simple but impactful. Hemingway insisted there was no metaphor or allegory in this story and that it is simple a story about a man and a fish but the way the story is constructed and delivered to us it's no surprising that this book speaks to people in many different ways. Each individual will take something different from this story, some will relate more to the man while others more to the fish and even the young boy. That's the genius of the book even if he never intended it to be that way. 

I don't think I should say anymore other than head down to your local library and pick up a copy. It's readable in a afternoon so grab yourself a cuppa and set sail :)

4/5

Edited by Melodious

Nice review. :smile: I've never read any Hemingway. Not sure why, as he's someone who is often mentioned. I shall add it to my wishlist.

This was my first Hemingway but certainly not my last.