Melodious 2015 Reading List

Melodious

So after a period of being away and not reading much I am hoping to remedy this in the new year. For those who are my friends list on Goodreads know I set a target of 40 books to read this year but it is a loose target and it won't bring down the walls if I don't quite reach it. 

I started off the year with Lord of the Rings which I haven't read in over 10 years now. I'm just getting towards the end of the Two Towers and it's been a joy to go back to it after so long and after the not-so-great Hobbit films. 

I recently bought Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman and this will be my first novel from him, the only other work I have read by Gaiman was the first volume of the Sandman graphic novels. 

I also got The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro, another first for me as well. 

There are only a couple of books that I plan on reading this year while anything else will just be as I move along. The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck is on my list as I read East of Eden last year and absolutely loved it. I also planning on reading more Vonnegut probably starting with God bless you, Mr Rosewater and A man without a country.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome back. :)

I've read both Neverwhere and Remains of the Day...loved both. 

I hope you have a great reading year.  If you don't meet your goals, it's just fun getting (almost) there. :)

I also plan on reviewing a select number of books that I read last year but didn't get around to, either because I loved them or they have some interest or obscurity. I'll start with Cosmos by Carl Sagan.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/55030.Cosmos

Cosmos was published in 1980 as a companion to the television series of the same name. The catalyst for both works was to bring complex scientific ideas to the public in an accessible and captivating way. Carl was a stout believer that science and the discoveries they reveal were not just for academics but to be enjoyed and understood by anyone who has even a slight interest and that the general public possessed a greater intelligence and thirst for knowledge than TV executives gave credit for. Cosmos addresses a wide variety of topics from the birth of the universe, the human brain, the burning of the library of ancient Alexandria to the death of the stars and Carl possessed a great ability to communicate these subjects in an inspiring and engaging manner.  

Carl just doesn't hit you over the head with chapters upon chapters of hard facts, although that is a substantial factor, but he has a wonderful ability to connect philosophically mankind’s endeavor to understand ourselves and our place within the universe. He shows quite masterly that the facts and mechanisms of the cosmos are far more revealing, astounding and spiritual than anything man has written in ancient religious texts and the inception of Cosmos was to bring that to the masses. The same need and drive that took hold of our ancestors to sail across the globe in search of new lands is the same that drives us now towards the stars so we may better understand ourselves and that the unknown is not to be feared but something to be challenged.

A chapter that may be of great interest to us readers is The Persistence of Memory. In it Carl examines the data that can be stored via DNA and Genes and the great capacities and limitations of those to us and the need to put our thoughts and wisdom down on paper to preserve the knowledge that cannot be transferred by procreation. The library of Alexandria was the greatest library of its time, a great institution that sort books from all corners of the globe so they could make copies and be stored within its walls.

“A book is made from a tree. It is an assemblage of flat, flexible parts (still called "leaves") imprinted with dark pigmented squiggles. One glance at it and you hear the voice of another person, perhaps someone dead for thousands of years. Across the millennia, the author is speaking, clearly and silently, inside your head, directly to you. Writing is perhaps the greatest of human inventions, binding together people, citizens of distant epochs, who never knew one another. Books break the shackles of time ― proof that humans can work magic.”

“Books permit us to voyage through time, to tap the wisdom of our ancestors. The library connects us with the insight and knowledge, painfully extracted from Nature, of the greatest minds that ever were, with the best teachers, drawn from the entire planet and from all our history, to instruct us without tiring, and to inspire us to make our own contribution to the collective knowledge of the human species. I think the health of our civilization, the depth of our awareness about the underpinnings of our culture and our concern for the future can all be tested by how well we support our libraries.”

This is simply one of the greatest books I have ever read and if I read this while I was in high school who knows what changes it could have made. It often gets labelled as the science book for non-scientists. The writing is beautiful and poetic and a true inspirational body of work that its legacy still continues to make waves. Indeed another series of Cosmos was aired last year fronted by Neil Degrasse Tyson, someone who shares Carl’s ability to communicate science in an engaging and insightful way. This book and the television show inspired a whole new generation of scientists and communicators and it still continues to do just that, for many Cosmos is where it all started. If the world’s teachers were just half as engaging and passionate as Carl was then the world would be a brighter place. 

Edited by Melodious

I've wanted to read Neverwhere for a while but never got round to it so I'll be interested to see what you think of that :smile:

The lady working at the bookshop was very happy with my choice and even said it was a good place to start with Gaiman.

Good reading for 2015 Melodious :smile:  . The Grapes of Wrath and The Remains of the Day are absolute cracking good books!

The Remains of the Day will probably be my next read although I am tempted by the reading group on the Guardian as they are looking at The Unconsoled by Ishiguro this month.

I love Carl Sagan! I have Pale Blue Dot on my TBR pile.

That is my next Sagan book, it's out of print in the UK but easily obtainable at least second hand. I have the audio book of Pale Blue Dot but sadly Carl only recorded a few chapters before he died. He's such a captivating speaker that I read Cosmos entirely in his voice.

Good to see you back, and happy to see you now have a reading log! :smile2: I hope you have a great reading year in 2015!

There are only a couple of books that I plan on reading this year while anything else will just be as I move along. The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck is on my list as I read East of Eden last year and absolutely loved it.

I've read The Grapes of Wrath a few times and enjoyed it (although it wasn't a terribly uplifting novel...), but I've yet to read East of Eden, which I think I shall like. Steinbeck's good :cool: 

I've read The Grapes of Wrath a few times and enjoyed it (although it wasn't a terribly uplifting novel...), but I've yet to read East of Eden, which I think I shall like. Steinbeck's good :cool:

Wow, I didn't realise you had read it a few times! Cool.  :cool: I'm hoping to read East of Eden this year.

The Grapes of Wrath is one of my favourite books, Melodious. I'm also very keen to read Cosmos and Contact. Carl Sagan is awesome. :)

I hope you have a terrific year of reading. :)

Wow, I didn't realise you had read it a few times! Cool.  :cool: I'm hoping to read East of Eden this year.

I first read it for a uni lit class and then once years after that because I wanted to :yes: Hey, cool that you want to read EoE, too! :)

That is my next Sagan book, it's out of print in the UK but easily obtainable at least second hand. I have the audio book of Pale Blue Dot but sadly Carl only recorded a few chapters before he died. He's such a captivating speaker that I read Cosmos entirely in his voice.

I found my copy on Book Depository originally. I found this video which I love! I play it now and then.

Edit: link to video - http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/13264-devis-book-everest-for-2015/?p=416019

Edited by Devi

Thanks all  :D

The Grapes of Wrath is one of my favourite books, Melodious. I'm also very keen to read Cosmos and Contact. Carl Sagan is awesome. :)

I hope you have a terrific year of reading. :)

I never wanted EoE to end, I place it as one of my all time favourites now along with Cosmos. It's so good to see so many fans of Carl.

I first read it for a uni lit class and then once years after that because I wanted to :yes: Hey, cool that you want to read EoE, too! :)

Of course I do! Steinbeck is one of my favourite authors. I intend to read everything he ever wrote. :)

I never wanted EoE to end, I place it as one of my all time favourites now along with Cosmos. It's so good to see so many fans of Carl.

Ooh, now I'm so excited to read EoE!

Oh, and regarding your comment about how Cosmos might have been life-changing if you had read it when you were younger, my ex-partner always cited it as being a huge influence on him when he was a child. He was thrilled when Neil DeGrasse Tyson recently did an updated series. And I also forgot to mention that your review of the book was fantastic. :)

The lady working at the bookshop was very happy with my choice and even said it was a good place to start with Gaiman.

I love it when people in bookshops engage in conversation about books. :) It shows that they're really passionate about their jobs and truly love reading!

Hi there Melodious

I'll say that Steinbeck is one of my favorites too . I haven't read all his books, but liked the ones I did read. Grapes of Wrath was good, although very depressing . I don't think you'll find East of Eden quite as much so . It isn't all blue skies and rainbows either, but it tells a really interesting story  .

Hope you have a good reading year .

Hi there Melodious

I'll say that Steinbeck is one of my favorites too . I haven't read all his books, but liked the ones I did read. Grapes of Wrath was good, although very depressing . I don't think you'll find East of Eden quite as much so . It isn't all blue skies and rainbows either, but it tells a really interesting story  .

Hope you have a good reading year .

Thanks Julie. I think after reading The Road every book is blue skies and rainbows in comparison :P  

Happy reading, Melodious.  :)

I've got The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro on my Wish List so I shall look forward to reading your thoughts.  :)

It was only £1.19 on Kindle so I've succumbed.  :o  That's two new Kindle books in as many days.  Whoops!

ETA: I just looked at my Amazon account and although I refreshed before I clicked buy and the price definitely said £1.19 (and still does) the order page says 99p - result! 

ETA Again - my first edit was made at 8.45pm last night - I've just checked my Amazon account (for another reason) and today it's showing at £1.19 again - very odd!  :blink:

Edited by Janet

Nice review of Cosmos. I read it many years ago, and have always intended to re-read it.

The Grapes of Wrath is a very powerful and hard-hitting book. I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would. I haven't read East of Eden though, so that might be one that I can add to my wishlist.

Hope you have a great reading year.  :smile:

Finished LotR. So much fun going back to it after so many years. I don't think I really need to review that book ;)

Just started The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro. Only on the third chapter but it's OK. I don't think I've really come to the 'meat' of the novel yet so can't really give a strong opinion one way or another.

I also got And Still I Rise by Maya Angelou. Just a collection of poems from a truly inspirational woman (or should that be phenomenal woman? ;))