Steve's Bookshelf 2015

Karsa Orlong

The Furry Princess has insurance ( only `cos one of the neighbour`s cats got diabetes and the insurance paid out £1.5K for just the first 6 weeks , and it seemed an idea to get insurance too, so that if she got ill in the future, she`d still be protected ) - then a few weeks after getting insurance, she had 6 or 7 vet visits - abscess and conjunctivitis - so it was really worth it. 

Grr, can`t post below your quote... 

No, I left it too long to get insurance and the prices were astronomical.  This is the first time she's had to have treatment like this, and she's nearly 10, so I suppose it's not too bad.  The special food seems to be helping.  She's only stunk the house out once since she's been on it, and she's stopped crapping on the lawn, which has made me happy seeing as I haven't had to negotiate a minefield whilst cutting the grass

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, they did, thanks.  I was in and out in about 10 minutes, looked at the ones they had in stock, chose a Samsung, and it's being delivered tomorrow afternoon.  Good old friendly service, too.  It's a family business.  Should've thought of going there in the first place  :smile:

Excellent news ; fingers crossed for tomorrow.  :smile:

Grr at John Lewis breaking your furniture.  :doh: Did you get money off them for it ?  :smile:

The Commodore (Aubrey/Maturin Book #17) by Patrick O'Brian

post-6588-0-02049900-1433433349_thumb.jpg

1994 - Harper ebook - 351 pages

Jack Aubrey’s long service is at last rewarded: he is promoted to the rank of Commodore and given a squadron of ships to command. His mission is twofold – to make a large dent in the slave trade off the coast of Africa and, on his return, to intercept a French fleet set for Bantry Bay with a cargo of weapons for the disaffected among the Irish. Invention and surprise follow at every turn in this tale of nineteenth-century seamanship, as rich, as compelling, as masterly as any of its predecessors.

This is where the series returns to 'real' time, as Jack and Stephen return home after the lengthy voyage which has taken up the previous five books.  It picks up a short while after The Wine Dark Sea.  As seems to be happening a lot with me at the moment, I didn't think I was in the mood for it when I first thought about reading it next.  It only took about half a page for me to be completely immersed again.  I am amazed at how easy I find these books to read now.  I will be fascinated to go back to the first couple and read them again and see how I get on.  Obviously, O'Brian's writing style will have developed over 17 books, but that much? 

Even though the latest mission isn't comfortable for the characters (yellow fever, slavery, animosity between the crew members, not to mention marital problems and a first meeting with a child born in absentia) but as a reading experience it's like settling into a deep, comfy chair.  It's reached the point where I don't think the books are getting any better, as such, but they are maintaining such a level of consistency, never failing to involve, engage or entertain.  And of course they are always exciting and bursting with character and humour.  I never want to get up out of that chair again.

Words I learned whilst reading this book:

jactitation - the restless tossing of the body in illness

otiose - serving no practical purpose or result

surcingle - a wide strap which runs over the back and under the belly of a horse, used to keep a rug or other equipment in place

peccavi - used to express one's guilt

pratique - permission granted to a ship to have dealings with a port, given after quarantine or on showing a clean bill of health

tertians - denoting a mild form of malaria causing a fever that recurs every second day

quartans - denoting a mild form of malaria causing a fever that recurs every third day

Memorable Quotes:

'I have always prided myself on a perfect freedom from jealousy,' said Jack

'For a great while I prided myself on my transcendent beauty, on much the same grounds; or even better,' said Stephen.

Of all the many virtues, Preserved Killick possessed only two, polishing silver and making coffee; but these he possessed to such a high degree that for those who liked their plate brilliant and their coffee prompt, freshly roasted, freshly ground and piping hot it was worth putting up with his countless vices.

He raised his voice: 'Killick.  Killick, there.  Light along another pot of coffee, will you?'

'Which I already got it in my hand, ain't I?' said Killick, outside the door.

I love Killick  :lol:

Cool!  Have you read any of China's other books? :smile:

I cannot explain it, but I am 'saving' my first Mieville reading. There are a few in both tree and kindle format waiting for me, and one day soon I will make a start on them. I have a feeling I will love them, which is maybe my weird reticence to begin my Mieville journey.  :blush2:

Eugh, what a nightmare! Glad you finally got it sorted. :) We buy most of our appliances from Curry's, and pay for their care plan. It's about £2.50 per month per appliance, but they'll come out and fix stuff for no cost even after the warranty's expired. Which is lucky, since the cats are always finding ways to climb behind the cupboards and chew through the washing machine pipes. :giggle2:

The Furry Princess has insurance ( only `cos one of the neighbour`s cats got diabetes and the insurance paid out £1.5K for just the first 6 weeks , and it seemed an idea to get insurance too, so that if she got ill in the future, she`d still be protected ) - then a few weeks after getting insurance, she had 6 or 7 vet visits - abscess and conjunctivitis - so it was really worth it. 

Yeah, it's totally worth it. Fili and Kili are 2 years old now, and the insurance has paid out nearly £4,000 in total just for Fili. She has problems with her teeth, which means she regularly has to go for check-ups, x-rays and operations to have teeth removed, and last year she swallowed a ribbon and had to have an operation to have it removed, followed by successive surgeries due to complications and hernias. The original operation alone would have set us back over £2,000! :o

Glad Pixie is on the mend, Steve. We have to buy special food for ours too, because Kili has stomach problems. £20 a bag, the robbing barstools. :rolleyes: Is your vet close by?

I cannot explain it, but I am 'saving' my first Mieville reading. There are a few in both tree and kindle format waiting for me, and one day soon I will make a start on them. I have a feeling I will love them, which is maybe my weird reticence to begin my Mieville journey.  :blush2:

I've been putting him off for ages too, feeling like I have to be in the right mood for him. Steve's convinced me to start Perdido Street Station soon, though . . . I'll let you know how it goes. :D

Eugh, what a nightmare! Glad you finally got it sorted. :) We buy most of our appliances from Curry's, and pay for their care plan. It's about £2.50 per month per appliance, but they'll come out and fix stuff for no cost even after the warranty's expired. Which is lucky, since the cats are always finding ways to climb behind the cupboards and chew through the washing machine pipes. :giggle2:

Yeah, it's totally worth it. Fili and Kili are 2 years old now, and the insurance has paid out nearly £4,000 in total just for Fili. She has problems with her teeth, which means she regularly has to go for check-ups, x-rays and operations to have teeth removed, and last year she swallowed a ribbon and had to have an operation to have it removed, followed by successive surgeries due to complications and hernias. The original operation alone would have set us back over £2,000! :o

Yikes ! Poor kitty.  :console:

Washing machine pipes ??!  :rolol:

Yikes ! Poor kitty.  :console:

Oh, she's absolutely fine now. :D

Washing machine pipes ??!  :rolol:

Yes, the little devils! There was a period where, every couple of weeks, I'd put the washing machine on and the kitchen would flood. Every single time it happened we discovered teeth marks on the waste pipe under the sink, and would have to call out an engineer to replace it, again and again. No matter what we did, they kept finding new ways to get inside the cupboard and chew the pipe. Monsters. :D 

I'm fine thanks.  Pixie's not been too well recently, having to go to the vet every week for vitamin injections and such, and she's had to go on special food cos she's got a sensitive stomach.  Costing a fortune! :rolleyes:

Awww, poor Pixie :(.

I'm so sorry to hear about your fridge and your experiences with the service, that is terrible :banghead:!

I'm glad you enjoyed the book :). It's nice when a series or author keeps surprising you, after so many books!

Yes, the little devils! There was a period where, every couple of weeks, I'd put the washing machine on and the kitchen would flood. Every single time it happened we discovered teeth marks on the waste pipe under the sink, and would have to call out an engineer to replace it, again and again. No matter what we did, they kept finding new ways to get inside the cupboard and chew the pipe. Monsters. :D

I don`t know why I was laughing - my little darling has systematically shredded the back of my bedroom curtains.  :doh:  :giggle2:

Pixie's shredded the rubber surround of the patio windows.  She sits outside staring at me and then starts clawing them when I ignore her  :rolleyes:  I had to get someone in to see if it could be fixed :lol:

That special food the vet's put her on, Royal Canin, they wanted £54 for four boxes of it.  That's 48 pouches in total.  She's on to the last box of it now.  I thought the price was outrageous, so I searched online and found that Fetch (Ocado's pet store) did the same for £38.90 and free next day delivery.  Just shows how the vets take advantage :rolleyes:

Excellent news ; fingers crossed for tomorrow.  :smile:

Grr at John Lewis breaking your furniture.  :doh: Did you get money off them for it ?  :smile:

Yeah, got money off and free repair of the furniture.  Plus the carpet hadn't been laid properly (they have sub-contractors to do it) so they had to send someone else to fix it.  As angry as I was when it happened (which was on a Saturday afternoon just before Christmas) I was even angrier when I phoned JL on the Monday morning and found that the sub-contractor had already phoned them and told them there had been a 'problem', but tried to make out that one of the pieces of furniture was already damaged before they arrived :o  :banghead:   JL immediately agreed to pay for the repairs, but the sub-contractor refused to make any contribution, so JL had to pay for it all.  And the guy who did it - another third party - also took a nest of tables to restore them, and they weren't anything to do with the carpet fitters, and charge that to JL as well :giggle2:  In the meantime the sub-contractor had sent out one of their bosses to see the damage - and he didn't even apologise! :banghead:

Sitting here waiting for fridge to arrive . . . again :rolleyes:

Edited by Karsa Orlong

Keeping fingers crossed for safe fridge arrival.  :D

Grr at the vet and JL in general.  :banghead:

I didn`t know that Waitrose/Ocado had a pets` section -` our` Waitrose is finally being built now, after being talked about for aaaages. Had a good laugh at your clicky when I looked at the cats section and saw the ad for kitty litter.  :giggle2:

Fridge turned up and seems to be working.  It's a bit like a reverse TARDIS, though.  It's much bigger than my old one on the outside, but the inside seems smaller :unsure:  :giggle2:

Vets have you over a barrel don't they? What can you do but buy the food  :blush2: We did this for Oscar .. cos the vet told us it was necessary .. but it didn't seem to help him much (not saying this will be the case for dear Pixie .. hope she feels much better soon xx) 

I wish my doctor .. in association with Waitrose .. would recommend a diet of champagne and strawberries and put the guilts on Alan :D 

I got a new fridge not long ago and it is tiny inside .. I had serious trouble at Christmas when the turkey turned up  :D I had to think again about making a trifle!!

Fridge turned up and seems to be working.  It's a bit like a reverse TARDIS, though.  It's much bigger than my old one on the outside, but the inside seems smaller :unsure:  :giggle2:

Awww, it would have been better if it had been the other way around and it'd be bigger on the inside :D.

I didn`t know that Waitrose/Ocado had a pets` section

Neither did I, until I Googled that food.  Seems good, though.  The food turned up the next day at the specified time.  I'd actually forgotten it was coming and, when I saw the truck pull up, thought it was the fridge being delivered early  :doh::lol:

Saw the words Fridge and Tardis and gave a very girly whoop, with an additional "I gotta get myself a Tardis fridge!". :D I then actually read your post.  :giggle2:

If they don't make them already then they should!  I sense a business opportunity, if only I could make the science bit work  :giggle2:

Yay for the new fridge! Boo for the crappyness. :giggle2:

Oh it's not crappy, just seems a bit of a squeeze to get everything that was in the old one into the freezer part.  On the plus side, it's frost free, so no more having to de-frost it myself.  Yay.

Vets have you over a barrel don't they? What can you do but buy the food  :blush2: We did this for Oscar .. cos the vet told us it was necessary .. but it didn't seem to help him much (not saying this will be the case for dear Pixie .. hope she feels much better soon xx) 

Thanks, Kay  :smile:   She seems to be much better since she's been on this food, and had the various injections.  She actually did a solid poo last night  :o  :giggle2: 

I got a new fridge not long ago and it is tiny inside .. I had serious trouble at Christmas when the turkey turned up  :D I had to think again about making a trifle!!

Christmas without trifle??  :o   Should be against the law  :D 

Death Descends On Saturn Villa (The Gower Street Detective Book #3) by M.R.C. Kasasian

post-6588-0-83977000-1433765893_thumb.jpg

2015 - Head of Zeus ebook - 400 pages

London: 1883

125 Gower Street was once a house of justice, truth and perspicacity. Now madness, murder and scandal lurk in its empty halls. It is rumoured that its owner Sidney Grice - London's foremost personal detective - has been driven to the brink of despair.

But, as with all good stories, we must begin at the beginning. With Sidney Grice journeying to Yorkshire to solve a mysterious death. And with March Middleton, his ward, left to her own devices in a London swarming with danger and vice.

Curiosity, as we know, has a dark edge. So when an intriguing letter leads March to the gates of the palatial Saturn Villa, and into the nightmarish world of her long-lost uncle, it could be the beginning of an end, for all...

I've been looking forward to this book since reading the first two entries in the series (The Mangle Street Murders and The Curse of the House of Foskett) last year.  I thoroughly enjoyed both of those novels, loved the characters, the humour, the mysteries.  So, yes, my expectations were heightened going into this one - and we all know that's a recipe for a fall from grace (Grice?  :giggle2: ).

I don't want to say too much about the plot because I'm fairly certain there will be a few people reading the book in the not too distant future.  The blurb says more than enough.  What I will say is that Kasasian uses a couple of narrative tricks new to this novel which took a bit of getting used to.  I'll spoilerise them and would recommend not reading them if you're planning to read the book:

For a start, March and Sidney spend most of the novel apart, which reduces their interaction and vicious, witty banter and also means they don't get to work as a team.

Secondly, and for the first time, part of the novel is told from Sidney's point of view.  Whether you'll like this or not is entirely a personal preference.  I found it took some time before it clicked for me.

I am quite confused by this book.  The first half to two thirds of it are the problem.  The normally sharp and witty dialogue seemed a little forced and repetitive, and I got the sense that it was trying to be a little too clever for its own good.  The endless put-downs of March seemed to be every other line.  The result is that it felt like some kind of bizarre comedy, unlike the previous novels where I thought the story and the characters came first and foremost, and the humour as an extension of that, and it all began to feel a little tedious.  Maybe my expectations were too high, but this one felt clunky to me, and I was on the verge of tearing it to shreds, to be honest, because everything I loved about the first two seemed to be missing here. 

But then it somehow managed to turn things around in the last third.  Even though the problems didn't entirely go away, the plot started to come together in clever and satisfying ways, and the book ends in such a fashion that the first two thirds seem like something of a long-forgotten dream.  I suspect that some good editing could've reduced my problems with it - the plot, as intricate as it is, would probably have been better served if 100 pages shorter.  Did I mention that this 400-page novel has over a hundred chapters in it?  Crikey.

Anyway, long and short, I ended up enjoying it but wishing the beginning had matched the ending.  I like it when authors experiment with narrative tricks.  Those used here are not entirely successful, but I think the book as a whole was enjoyable, if a trifle disappointing.  It's the weakest of the three books, but then the standards had been set so high, perhaps I wanted to love it just a little too much.

Memorable Quotes:

'Nobody goes into a house expecting their host to be murdered.'

'I do.'

'Nobody normal.'

When I was eight I was sent to sing for an elderly lady who lived on Tan House Lane, but luckily she died before I got there.

Juries hesitate to convict beautiful women of capital crimes and judges to pass the death penalty.  Unfortunately, Miss Middleton cannot shelter under that protection.

If they don't make them already then they should!  I sense a business opportunity, if only I could make the science bit work  :giggle2:

Pah, mere details. The important thing is giving yourself a cool business title.  :smile:

Thanks, Kay   :smile:   She seems to be much better since she's been on this food, and had the various injections.  She actually did a solid poo last night   :o   :giggle2: 

Erm , hurray ?  :blush2:  Go Pixie Poo !  :giggle2:

Great review! I'm glad it picked up in the end. I'll be sure to keep your review in mind when I get around to reading it. If I keep my expectations low, I surely won't be disappointed (that's pretty much my philosophy in life, and it rarely disappoints). :)

I couldn't help but read the bits in spoilers, :blush2: but I'm glad I did because it gives me a better idea of what to expect. It's interesting that Kasasian (or any author, really) would choose to start using different writing techniques three books into a series. It's quite a risk to take, one would think! It's particularly risky to have (this relates to Steve's spoiler): 

the two main characters spend most of the book apart, particularly when one of the best aspects of the books is obviously their funny banter! It reminds me of my fave show, Gilmore Girls, when the two main characters (also best known for their witty banter) spent the better part of an entire season estranged.

Sorry to hear that it disappointed you, but thanks for going 'first' and telling us what to expect. :) I'm still looking forward to reading it!

Oh, how disappointing! Although hopefully the rest of us will now have slightly lower expectations following your role as guinea pig and might get a little more out of it?! Which doesn't help you much I realise, expect in altruism levels. 

I'm waiting for it to come down in price a little given I haven't read the second yet - savouring it after loving the first. 

Really glad it did get better in the last third though. :)

Edited by Alexi

Great review! I'm glad it picked up in the end. I'll be sure to keep your review in mind when I get around to reading it. If I keep my expectations low, I surely won't be disappointed (that's pretty much my philosophy in life, and it rarely disappoints). :)

Thanks, Kylie, and that philosophy is very wise :D 

I couldn't help but read the bits in spoilers, :blush2: but I'm glad I did because it gives me a better idea of what to expect. It's interesting that Kasasian (or any author, really) would choose to start using different writing techniques three books into a series. It's quite a risk to take, one would think! It's particularly risky to have (this relates to Steve's spoiler): 

the two main characters spend most of the book apart, particularly when one of the best aspects of the books is obviously their funny banter! It reminds me of my fave show, Gilmore Girls, when the two main characters (also best known for their witty banter) spent the better part of an entire season estranged.

Yes, that was an odd decision.  I kind of understood why he did it in the end, but the humour that seemed forced to me in the early stages made the first half of the book a bit . . . odd, and that particular decision of his didn't help, I felt.

I was thinking about this after my post and I only mentioned the number of chapters very briefly - but I think the chapters are so short that it made it difficult to settle into the book.  It makes it a very fast read, though,  because I was always thinking 'oh, just one more chapter before I put it down'.

Sorry to hear that it disappointed you, but thanks for going 'first' and telling us what to expect. :) I'm still looking forward to reading it!

I hope you enjoy it   :smile:   I'm actually kind of curious to find out if I enjoy it more in re-read, knowing how good the latter stages are - it might put the first half or so in a different light :smile:   

Oh, how disappointing! Although hopefully the rest of us will now have slightly lower expectations following your role as guinea pig and might get a little more out of it?! Which doesn't help you much I realise, expect in altruism levels.

:lol:  Yep, that's why I'm here :giggle2:   I did find it a little disappointing, comparatively, but I've read far, far worse books :D   If I was still giving scores in my reviews I think the first two thirds would've been on course for a 6, but the last third pulled it up to an 8 :smile: 

I'm waiting for it to come down in price a little given I haven't read the second yet - savouring it after loving the first.

Yeah, I rushed in a bit there - I had it pre-ordered ages ago.  And then they reduced the price on the day it was released! :doh:

I hope you enjoy The Curse of the House of Foskett - I thought it was fab :smile: 

Really glad it did get better in the last third though. :)

It really, really did :smile:   I noticed the first review on goodreads said similar - and it wasn't written by me :D