Steve's Bookshelf 2015

Karsa Orlong

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds fantastic (and terrifying)! Great review. :D Yeah, I've heard black widows are notoriously difficult to work with. :rolleyes:

They're such divas!  :giggle2:

I re-watched the film last night.  Considering when it was made, it's astonishingly good.  And the spider is still terrifying, black widow or not.  It's HUGE  :hide:

Great review! This sounds like a great book I'd like to read :).

http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/10211-tims-horror-fantasy-and-sci-fi-reads-from-2012/?p=352404

Well you've had two years since last time, what's keeping you?   :theboss:  :D

Thanks for the plug! Great review, I really should read more Matheson as I have loved both the books of his I've read.

I'm going to get the three-volume collection of his short stories, I think.  I had a trip round the usual bookshops in the West End today (Forbidden Planet, Foyles, Waterstone's, Hatchards) and could only find one of them, so I'll have to order online, I think  :smile:

I re-watched the film last night.  Considering when it was made, it's astonishingly good.  And the spider is still terrifying, black widow or not.  It's HUGE  :hide:

Oh, God, I just Google imaged it and really wish I hadn't. :hide: 

Haha :D, well the fact that there are ~1000 other books on my wishlist/ideaslist, I own a lot of unread books, and I don't have that much money recently :blush2:.

Oh, God, I just Google imaged it and really wish I hadn't. :hide:

:lol:  My arachnophobia is obviously getting worse cos I don't remember being half as freaked out by it when I saw the movie as kid compared to watching it the other night :hide:  :giggle2:

Oh wow!, great review Steve.  I saw the film too, ages and ages ago.  Now I really do have to read the book.  Thanks! :)

Thanks!  If you do get it, I'd recommend the Tor edition because it includes a few of his short stories, too, including 'Nightmare at 20,000 Feet' and 'Duel' :smile:

Memory (Vorkosigan Saga Book #12) by Lois McMaster Bujold

post-6588-0-67385600-1433156822_thumb.jpg

1996 - Baen ebook - 463 pages

No blurb for this one, as it would completely spoil the previous book.  This one picks up soon after the events of Mirror Dance, when Miles is summoned back to Barrayar, he assumes simply to pick up another mission for his Dendarii Mercenaries.  But this is one of those stories that ongoing series occasionally throw out there, where lots of chickens come home to roost.  Miles has been 'getting away with it' for far too long; taking chances, ignoring the rules, playing the hero.  A medical problem has caused him to make a near-fatal mistake - but near-fatal for someone other than himself - and his attempts to hide the cause could have huge ramifications for his career, and especially for his alter-ego Admiral Naismith.

When I started this book I didn't think I was in the mood for another of Miles's adventures.  In fact, I spent two days hopping back and forth between three books before finally deciding to throw myself into this one.  Bujold's flowing style made the decision for me in the end, almost like a comfort read.  Yet this story is anything but comfortable - in fact, it is very uncomfortable in many ways, as that poultry comes home and Miles's life begins to fall apart.  Some of what happens - and it is all incredibly, painfully real - is very difficult to read, when it's happening to character(s) that one has come to know and love so well.

And yet Bujold kept me reading despite that.  She's not scared to stick the knife in, but she is so light of touch with the humour and so deft with the wonderful character moments, it all feels completely organic and logical.  It's a book that develops the characters in completely unexpected, believable ways.  It's a book about counting the cost and paying the price, and is all the more effective and affecting through having spent so long with these people.  It's a book that draws deeply on the series' history (even so far as tying in with the novellas) and feels very much like a fulcrum, an ending and a beginning.  As such, I don't think it could be read in isolation.   

Memory is completely devoid of action - it is a character piece through and through.  The main plot doesn't even begin until nearly 200 pages in.  If the book has one fault it is that I guessed the solution to the central mystery long before it was revealed.  But none of that matters because the narrative and the characters are so strong.  I thought it was compellingly, convincingly, utterly brilliant.  My favourite book in the series so far. 

Memorable Quote:

“Some prices are just too high, no matter how much you may want the prize. The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart.” 

His mother had often said, When you choose an action, you choose the consequences of that action. She had emphasized the corollary of this axiom even more vehemently: when you desired a consequence you had damned well better take the action that would create it.

“You go on. You just go on. There's nothing more to it, and there's no trick to make it easier. You just go on.”

Money, power, sex ... and elephants.

It's a book that draws deeply on the series' history (even so far as tying in with the novellas) and feels very much like a fulcrum, an ending and a beginning.  As such, I don't think it could be read in isolation.   

Oops. This is the only Vorkosigan book I own. :rolleyes::giggle2:

Which other books were you skipping about between? And which one are you reading next?

ETA: Elephants? :lol:

Edited by Signor Finzione

Oops. This is the only Vorkosigan book I own. :rolleyes::giggle2:

:doh:  :lol:

Well on the plus side you've got the best book in the series.  But you'd need to read at least Mirror Dance beforehand, and probably Brothers in Arms, too.  Which is no bad thing, really, cos they're both very good :smile: 

Which other books were you skipping about between? And which one are you reading next?

I was jumping back and forth between Memory, The Quantum Thief (Hannu Rajaniemi), and Blindsight (Peter Watts).  I was enjoying all of them, which made the decision even harder, but I'm determined to get one or two series finished, so Vorkosigan got the nod.  And now I'm on the next Patrick O'Brian :smile: 

ETA: Elephants?  :lol:

There's always an elephant :giggle2:

Hi Steve.  :D  Hope all is well with you. And Pixie.  ;)  

I'm fine thanks.  Pixie's not been too well recently, having to go to the vet every week for vitamin injections and such, and she's had to go on special food cos she's got a sensitive stomach.  Costing a fortune! :rolleyes:

Hope you're feeling better now :smile:

Feeling the need to rant.  My fridge freezer broke down on Monday night so, after relocating all the frozen stuff to a neighbour's freezer, I spent Tuesday looking at new ones, then came home and ordered one from the John Lewis website, with express delivery for today between 7am and 2pm.  So I was up at 6am and waited . . . and waited.  I checked the order confirmation email and it says "The following Standard delivery product(s) will be delivered on Thursday 4th June between 7am and 2pm", so that was all okay. 

But then, at about 1:30 when it still hadn't arrived, I logged into my account on their website and it still said 'order processing' against it.  So I got on the phone to them and discovered that, because I'd placed the order at just about bang on 5pm on Tuesday it had got stuck in some kind of loop, because orders after 5pm would be delivered Friday, not Thursday.  I was furious.  Why hadn't they contacted me when my order got stuck?  Why wasn't my order rejected when I placed it?  Why did it let me specify today for delivery? Etc etc. 

Then I asked if they could deliver it tomorrow.  Nope, the earliest now is Monday.  I asked to speak to someone in management.  He wouldn't let me.  Then he went off, came back, said it would still be Monday, but they would refund the delivery fee, the disposal fee for the old fridge, and give me some money off the new one as well.  But it doesn't change the fact that I need it NOW.  So I said no, cancel the order.

Gaaaaagh! :banghead:

/rant

So now I've got to go off to a shop a few miles away who said they can deliver tomorrow if I choose one they've got in stock.

I'm fine thanks.  Pixie's not been too well recently, having to go to the vet every week for vitamin injections and such, and she's had to go on special food cos she's got a sensitive stomach.  Costing a fortune! :rolleyes:

Hope you're feeling better now :smile:

Thanks Steve - still feeling pretty rough, but finally on the mend. 

Poor Pixie ! Does she have insurance ? How does she fell about all the vet visits, poor girl.  I hope the special food has made a difference to her health ?  :flowers2:

Feeling the need to rant.  My fridge freezer broke down on Monday night so, after relocating all the frozen stuff to a neighbour's freezer, I spent Tuesday looking at new ones, then came home and ordered one from the John Lewis website, with express delivery for today between 7am and 2pm.  So I was up at 6am and waited . . . and waited.  I checked the order confirmation email and it says "The following Standard delivery product(s) will be delivered on Thursday 4th June between 7am and 2pm", so that was all okay. 

But then, at about 1:30 when it still hadn't arrived, I logged into my account on their website and it still said 'order processing' against it.  So I got on the phone to them and discovered that, because I'd placed the order at just about bang on 5pm on Tuesday it had got stuck in some kind of loop, because orders after 5pm would be delivered Friday, not Thursday.  I was furious.  Why hadn't they contacted me when my order got stuck?  Why wasn't my order rejected when I placed it?  Why did it let me specify today for delivery? Etc etc. 

Then I asked if they could deliver it tomorrow.  Nope, the earliest now is Monday.  I asked to speak to someone in management.  He wouldn't let me.  Then he went off, came back, said it would still be Monday, but they would refund the delivery fee, the disposal fee for the old fridge, and give me some money off the new one as well.  But it doesn't change the fact that I need it NOW.  So I said no, cancel the order.

Gaaaaagh! :banghead:

/rant

So now I've got to go off to a shop a few miles away who said they can deliver tomorrow if I choose one they've got in stock.

That`s abysmal. I`ve ordered 3 things from John Lewis - a washing machine, a very expensive mattress and a bed - all were delivered damaged. Fine, they gave me money off, but it`s a pretty rubbishy service. 

Hope the local shop comes through for you.  :smile:

Fab reviews of Random Acts, The Shrinking Man, The Body Snatchers and The City & the City. :) I only have the first and last books on my TBR pile, but I'll certainly be adding the others.

Poor Pixie ! Does she have insurance ? How does she fell about all the vet visits, poor girl.  I hope the special food has made a difference to her health ?  :flowers2:

No, I left it too long to get insurance and the prices were astronomical.  This is the first time she's had to have treatment like this, and she's nearly 10, so I suppose it's not too bad.  The special food seems to be helping.  She's only stunk the house out once since she's been on it, and she's stopped crapping on the lawn, which has made me happy seeing as I haven't had to negotiate a minefield whilst cutting the grass :giggle2:

That`s abysmal. I`ve ordered 3 things from John Lewis - a washing machine, a very expensive mattress and a bed - all were delivered damaged. Fine, they gave me money off, but it`s a pretty rubbishy service. 

Hope the local shop comes through for you.  :smile:

Yeah, they did, thanks.  I was in and out in about 10 minutes, looked at the ones they had in stock, chose a Samsung, and it's being delivered tomorrow afternoon.  Good old friendly service, too.  It's a family business.  Should've thought of going there in the first place  :smile:

Fab reviews of Random Acts, The Shrinking Man, The Body Snatchers and The City & the City. :) I only have the first and last books on my TBR pile, but I'll certainly be adding the others.

Thanks Kylie!  I hope you like them as much as I did :smile:

I've had nothing but awful service from John Lewis so this doesn't surprise me. They didn't offer me money off though! Hope you get a new one sorted soon.

Thanks Tim.  Hmm, so this poor service seems to be the norm, then.  I got my new TV from them without any hassle at all (I've got my last three TVs from them cos the free 5 year guarantee is too good to pass up), but I had them fit a new carpet a few years back and they broke two pieces of furniture in the process :banghead:

That's crappy Steve. We've been using AO for white goods in the last year or two. Had a freezer delivered on Tuesday through them. They text and e mail confirmation, and give updates including a call from the driver. It's the third thing we have bought through them in the past year. 

My husband tells the story of his sister's chest freezer breaking down, so she made a big batch of pea soup from all the bags of peas that had thawed out. He is yet to comprehend why she 'rescued' the peas and made a stomach churning terrible soup with them, when there was much nicer (and more expensive) food stuffs she could have used up!  :D

I have The City & The City on my TBR pile/kindling mount, and the Womack may well end up there very soon too. 

That's crappy Steve. We've been using AO for white goods in the last year or two. Had a freezer delivered on Tuesday through them. They text and e mail confirmation, and give updates including a call from the driver. It's the third thing we have bought through them in the past year.

Ah now that's interesting - you're the second person to recommend AO in the past 24 hours.  Shall have to look them up next time I need white goods . . . which hopefully won't be for a while now.

My husband tells the story of his sister's chest freezer breaking down, so she made a big batch of pea soup from all the bags of peas that had thawed out. He is yet to comprehend why she 'rescued' the peas and made a stomach churning terrible soup with them, when there was much nicer (and more expensive) food stuffs she could have used up!  :D

:lol:  My instant concern was the meat - I figured the peas would be cheaper to replace  :D   Of course, this would happen when we're having a sudden bout of warm weather.  I just found that the last pint of milk has turned :rolleyes:

I have The City & The City on my TBR pile/kindling mount, and the Womack may well end up there very soon too.

Cool!  Have you read any of China's other books? :smile: