Athena's Reading List 2015

Athena

Thea Stilton - Prinsessen van Fantasia 1: De Ijsprinses (Principessa Dei Ghiacci)

9789085921370.jpg

Genre: Fantasy

Age-range: Children

Format: Hardback (Library Loan)

Pages: 279

Date read: 29-05-2015 <-> 30-05-2015

ISBN: 9789085921370

Synopsis (me): The Ice Princess is in danger, her aunt wants her to marry a prince but she doesn't want to. And the kingdom has enemies too.

My thoughts:

I saw this book at the library. I hadn't seen any of this series before, I didn't know it existed. But since I like most of the other Stilton books I've read (Thea Stilton's books ar ewriten by the same team as Geronimo Stilton's books), I thought I'd give it a go.

This was a nice story. I quite liked the characters in this book. The two cooks who argue, the two little girls, Gunnar the wolf and Nives the princess.

The book has a dark blue font and the illustrations also use this same dark blue colour. There aren't as many illustrations as with most of the Stilton books (but more than in the previous book I read, Geronimo Stilton - Ridders van Fantasia 2: Het Kristallen Zwaard (La Spada Del Destino)). In the middle the book contains some coloured pages, with information about the main character and her thoughts on some of the other characters and other things. The book consists of two parts, part one is much larger than part two.

I really enjoyed readin gthis book. It wa suspenseful and while I guessed a few of the plot twists, the story was still very enjoyable to read. I liked the characters of this book better than the ones in the 'knights' book (see above), but the 'knights' book had more unexpected twists in it for me.

Overall then I quite enjoyed reading this book. I really liked the characters. I have book 3 in this series also loaned from the library, which I'm going to read next. I'll certainly be on the lookout for the other books in this series at the library.

Rating: (*****) (9/10)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought these books while I was in Amsterdam meeting up with Brandi:

Philip K. Dick - VALIS Trilogy 1: Valis

Philip K. Dick - The Penultimate Truth

Philip K. Dick - Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said

Philip K. Dick - Minority Report

There were more science-fiction books that I was interested in (such as some that some people from this forum recommended), and they were very well priced, and if I'd had more money I would've bought them, but I restrained myself and I *only* bought these four. I'll definitely have to visit the book shop again though next time I'm in Amsterdam. They had a lot of great books for great prices, but science-fiction is quite hard to find in the Netherlands (and especially for a great price) so I was very happy to have found these.

P.S. I've got some reviews to post, but first I have to finish writing them :P. I have written the text already on a notepad but I need to type it all out. I've currently got 10 to post :blush2:. I might work on them this afternoon and post them tomorrow I think. I had a very 'read-a-thon'-like day on Sunday, which was unplanned but I really enjoyed it.

Thea Stilton - Prinsessen van Fantasia 3: De Woestijnprinses (Principessa Del Desserto)

9789085921684.jpg

Date read: 30-05-2015

ISBN: 9789085921684

Synopsis: (no synopsis because the book is part of a series).

My thoughts:

I saw this book, and book 1 in this series at the library and decided to borrow them. After reading book 1 I went on to read this book, book 3 in the series.

Events of book 1 and 2 are briefly explained throughout the story. The books do tell one overarching story but in different parts. The book's text has a brown colour font and the illustrations also have this colour (the first book's colour was dark blue, to fit in with the ice theme, and this one has brown to fit in with the desert theme, that's what I think anyway). In the middle of the book there are 16 full coloured pages with some extra information, illustrations and pictures.

I quite enjoyed readin gthis story. It takes a bit of time to get suspenseful, but I enjoyed the whole book. Some people want fast paced reads, every page has to be suspenseful. I'm not like that, I don't mind a 'slower' or more character driven book sometimes.

I liked the characters in this book. Some characters from the previous two books also make an appearance in the book (I haven't read book 2, the library didn't have it available). I look forward to find out how the story ends, I believe there are two further books in the series. I would also like to read book 2 some time even though I know bits of what happened in it.

Prunella Bat - Milla & Sugar 1: Een Heks en een Fee (Strega Piú Fata)

16686625.jpg

Pages: 144

Date read: 30-05-2015

ISBN: 9789054615255

Synopsis (me): A story about a witch and a fairy.

My thoughts:

I saw this book, and two others in the series, at the library and thought they looked like fun reads. However I was already carrying the maximum number of allowed books to borrow, so I put the three Het Leven op Topford books by Thea Stilton back (which is the only Stilton series I had mixed experiences with in the past, I have liked all the other Stilton books I've read), and borrowed these three that were available in the series (book 1, 6 and 9).

The layout of the book is somewhat reminiscent of the Stilton books. It also has a map with numbers, it has its contents also at the end of the book, it has illustrations, it's also originally Italian and it also contains extra information at the end. The font was similar too. Maybe these books are made by the same team, or by the same original publisher or something like that, I don't know.

This was an enjoyable read. It is book 1 in the series, and you can tell more books will follow. I enjoyed raeding this introduction to the series. I liked the characters and it was nice to read a different take on witches and fairies.

Overall I liked reading this book. The illustrations are nice and I liked the characters and the world. I look forward to read the other two books in this series that I've borrowed from the library, books 6 and 9.

Rating: (****) (8/10)

Prunella Bat - Milla & Sugar 6: Tijd Voor Toverkunst (L'ora Degli Incantesimi)

9789054616498.jpg

Date read: 31-05-2015

ISBN: 9789054616498

Synopsis: (no synopsis because the book is part of a series)

My thoughts:

After reading book 1 in this series, I went on to read book 6. I had borrowed books 1, 6 and 9 from the library.

This book has a similar layout and style as book 1. There was more extra information at the end than in book 1 (the characters talk about certain things). I did notice that the name of a shop was 'Nooitmeer' in book 1, and 'Nevermore' in book 6. One is Dutch, the other is English, so somehow they thought that the latter sounded better (it's originally an Italian book). It wasn't too confusing for me, as the book contains a map as well, but it's something I noticed.

I enjoyed reading this book, it was entertaining. It was nice to have a different adversary in this book, aside from the 'usual' adversary / bad 'person' who was also there. I liked the character of David too (a new character).

Prunella Bat - Milla & Sugar 9: De Vampierenbruid (La Sposa Vampira)

9789054619789.jpg

ISBN: 9789054619789

Synopsis: (no synopsis because the book is part of a series)

My thoughts:

After reading book 6, I went on to read book 9 (I had borrowed books 1, 6 and 9 from the library).

This book has a similar design as the other two books: colourful illustrations, a map and information at the end where the characters say something about the events in the story.

I enjoyed reading this book. It was about a vampire and of course Milla and Sugar. I liked the characters (old and new ones), such as Brunella the owl and Ljuba (the vampire). The story was somewhat suspenseful.

I'll have to see some time at the library, if they have more books in the series available.

Jeff Kinney - Diary of a Wimpy Kid 1: Diary of a Wimpy Kid

2975870.jpg

Genre: Contemporary Fiction

Pages: 218

ISBN: 9780141324906

Synopsis (back of the book): Let me get something straight: this is a JOURNAL, not a diary. This was Mom's idea, not mine. But if she thinks I'm going to write down my "feelings" in here or whatever, she's crazy.

The only reason I agreed to do this at all is because I figure later on when I'm rich and famous, this book is gonna come in handy.

But for now, I'm stuck in middle school with a bunch of morons.

Today is the first day of school, so I figured I might as well write in this book to pass the time.

Just don't expect me to be all "Dear Diary" this and "Dear Diary" that.

My thoughts:

I've previously read and liked books 3 and 5 in this series. When I saw book 1 at the library (and book 9), I didn't hesitate and borrowed both.

It was great to read the first book in this series. The book is funny and I liked the characters. The illustrations are pretty nice and the book reads quickly. I will read book 9 next, and will be on the lookout for other books in the series, that I haven't read yet, at the library.

Rating: (*****) (10/10)

Jeff Kinney - Diary of a Wimpy Kid 9: The Long Haul

23729673.jpg

Pages: 234

ISBN: 9780141354217

Synopsis (me): Greg and his family go on a road trip holiday.

My thoughts:

I've previously read books 3, 5 and 1 of this series (in that order). I saw this book (and book 1) at the library and borrowed it / them. After reading book 1, I went on to read book 9.

This book is about Greg and his family going on a road trip holiday. A lot of things happen, and it's quite an adventure. The book is funny and it was nice to read a book in a different setting as opposed to Greg's home and school and neighbourhood. I liked the characters. The story didn't seem entirely realsitic in terms of all those things happening but it was pretty entertaining.

I liked the illustrations. I think the library just purchased this book in recent times, because it smells quite new (most library books don't).

Overall I enjoyed reading this book, it was entertaining. I didn't like it as much as book 1, as this one was a bit more crazy (than I was expecting), but it does have one overarching story whereas in book 1 there are more loose chapters. I have also read books 3 and 5, but it's been a little while longer since I read those. As I said in the review for book 1, I'll certainly see if the library has the ones I haven't read yet, some time.

Rachel Renée Russell - Dork Diaries 2: Tales From a Not-So-Popular Party Girl

7208637.jpg

ISBN: 9781416980087

My thoughts:

I've previously read books 3, 4, 6, 1 and 7 in this series (in that order). I was then pretty excited when I saw books 2 and 5 at the library for loan. I started with book 2, for obvious reasons.

This book had some similar elements as one of the later books. Obviously this one was written first, though. I enjoyed reading thi sbook. I liked the characters. I do think the mean girl MacKenzie is getting on my nerves a bit, but I guess since she's the adversary maybe that makes sense.

It was nice to read book 2. I will be reading book 5 soon and then I've read books 1-7. I don't know if there are or will be any more after that.

Overall then I liked this book but it wasn't the best one of the series. The mean girl annoyed me, and there are some similar elements as in a later book, which of course means the later one is more derivative than this earlier one, but I read that one first. I did enjoy the book, though.

Rachel Renée Russell - Dork Diaries 5: Tales From a Not-So-Smart Miss Know-It-All

13547289.jpg

Pages: 326

ISBN: 9781442449619

My thoughts:

I've read books 3, 4, 6, 1, 7 and 2 in this series, so book 5 remained! (And perhaps any further books).

This was an enjoyable story in which Nikki tries to become part of the school newspaper. I liked the illustrations and the characters. I liked the book more than book 2, which I read just before I read this one. This was one of the more enjoyable books, in my opinion, of the series (though I enjoyed reading all of them).

Overall I enjoyed reading this book. It's great to now have read books 1-7 even if I read them 'in the wrong order'. I hope there will be more books published in the series (or maybe there already are).

Francine Oomen - Hoe Overleef Ik... 2: Hoe Overleef Ik Het Jaar 2000?

7663199.jpg

Pages: 127

ISBN: 9789026997211

My thoughts:

I've previously read books 5-13 (except 9), 1 and 4 in this series (in that order). When I saw books 2 and 3 at the library, I borrowed them so I could read some of the earlier parts of the story.

The book has a foreword from the author. She wrote this book in the beginning of 1999, when we didn't yet know what would happen in the year 2000. Now we know that gladly not much went wrong, compared to what some people were expecting to go wrong. The story then is not entirely accurate any more nowadays compared with reading this in 1999 when it was first published, but it was enjoyable anyway.

The book contains nice illustrations but hardly any emails and chats like the later books have. The chapter titles in this book are a date and a time (that's different from the other books), which makes sense since that's important in this story. The book has an afterword by the author after the story. There are also some pages on survival tips / information after the end of the story.

This story was quite suspenseful. I quite liked reading it, there were some good plot twists and I wanted to keep on reading to find out what would happen next. The book doesn't have the depth of some of the later books, nor as many 'themes', but it was a very interesting and suspenseful story.

I have book 3 also borrowed from the library, so I will be reading that one next.

Francine Oomen - Hoe Overleef Ik... 3: Hoe Overleef Ik De Burgklas?

1001004008504335.jpg

ISBN: 9789045111155

My thoughts:

After reading book 2 in this series, I went on to read book 3. I've read books 5-13 (except 9), 1, 4 and 2 before.

This story takes place when Rosa goes to the Dutch secondary school ('middelbare school') for the first time. It was a bit nostalgic for me, the book made me think back of my time at secondary school. The book contains the familiar illustrations and emails and chats and has more depth and themes than books 1 and 2 (but not as much as some of the later and longer books).

It was great to read this story, and to have read the whole series now, except book 9. I quite liked the tips in the book. They were really things I learned too! The illustrations and emails are nice. The book was suspenseful and I wanted to keep on reading (though not quite in the same way as with book 2).

I'll certainly see if I can find book 9 at the library, and then I've read the whole series! (I think there may be some side stories or such). I have two other books by the author on my shelves, as well, one which I read when I was much younger, and an omnibus that I haven't read yet. The author has written over 100 books, so that's a lot!

Ann M. Martin - The BabySitter's Club Super Special 2: Baby-Sitters' Summer Vacation (re-read)

I always loved reading the Super Specials. We don't have camps like that either, so this was always particularly fascinating to me. It sounded like so much fun!

I always loved reading the Super Specials. We don't have camps like that either, so this was always particularly fascinating to me. It sounded like so much fun!

Me too! The Super Specials are great :). I have only read three of them, I was never able to find more of them in Dutch when I was younger (not that many were translated I believe). But I own all of them in English on my Kindle. I will be reading Super Special 3 this weekend, I haven't read it before and I'm very excited to read a BSC book that I haven't read yet before, especially a Super Special. I agree, the camp sounded fascinating!

Chris Riddell - Goth Girl 2: Goth Girl and the Fete Worse Than Death

23249125.jpg

Pages: 218 + 14 = 232 pages

Date read: <->

ISBN: 9780230759824

My thoughts:

I've read book 1 in this series at the beginning of this year and I really liked that one. When I saw book 2 at the library, I borrowed it in the hope that it was just as good as the first one.

The book has a lot of nice illustrations. The book comes with an extra booklet at the end (14 pages long). I thought that was a nice extra.

The book was in some ways very similar to the first book. I liked reading it, but I wasn't expecting that many similarities.

The illustrations are beautiful and I liked the story and the characters. There seemed to be quite a bit of attention on the parody characters and items, some of which went over my head (and I can imagine children having a similar experience).

The story wasn't that suspenseful until quite near the end of the book. Overall I did like reading this book, it was funny in places, but it wasn't as good as I was expecting it to be. It didn't seem as suspenseful as the first book. The book seemed a bit too samey to the first book, the book wasn't as surprising or original anymore as I'd seen a lot of the themes in the first book already. I was left a bit disappointed, as while I liked this book, I didn't enjoy it as much as the first book in the series.

Rating: (****) (7/10)

Francesca Simon - Horrid Henry 17: Horrid Henry Robs the Bank

3929249.jpg

Illustrator: Tony Ross

Pages: 100

Date read: 02-06-2015

ISBN: 9781842551325

Synopsis (GoodReads): In these four new stories, Horrid Henry helps himself to all the money he needs to win his favourite board game, comes up with another spectacular money-making scheme for launching a newspaper with all the school gossip, vows vengeance on Perfect Peter when Peter nicks his birthday party theme and has his own pirate party.

My thoughts:

I hadn't read any books about Horrid Henry before, but the five I found at the library looked like they might be fun to read. I borrowed four big picture books and this smaller book (that was what was available). I started with this smaller book.

The book consists of four short stories, accompanied by black-and-white (or rather, black-and-yellow as the pages are more yellow than white :P) illustrations (they remind me a bit of Quentin Blake's illustrations in some of the Roald Dahl books). I will briefly talk about each story.

A lot of the characters have, aside from their first names, a word that describes them in front of their name (an alliterative adjective, though I don't know if that's proper English).

Horrid Henry's Newspaper

This is a story about Henry who writes a newspaper so he can make money to buy a robot dog. The story was pretty funny and I enjoyed reading it.

Moody Margaret's School

This is a story about Henry who has to spend time at Margaret's house. She likes to play school and so do Peter and Susan. I liked the story, it was funny. It was a bit mean, but quite entertaining.

Perfect Peter's Pirate Party

This is a story about Peter, Henry's brother, having a pirate party. It was an enjoyable story.

Horrid Henry Robs the Bank

This is a story about Henry, Peter and Margaret playing a board game. I liked it but not as much as the other stories (even though the book is named after this one). I did like the descriptions of the board game, I haven't heard of such a game before but it seemed a bit like monopoly in a fantasy setting. I enjoyed reading the story.

I liked reading these four short stories about Horrid Henry. They were funny and clever. I've got the four big picture books left to read (also borrowed from the library).

Overall Rating: (*****) (9/10)

Francesca Simon - Horrid Henry's Picture Books 1: Horrid Henry's Big Bad Book

9781842551035.jpg

Pages: 160

Date read: 02-06-2015

ISBN: 9781842551035

Synopsis (me): A collection of ten Horrid Henry short stories, with full colour illustrations and some extras.

My thoughts:

After reading Horrid Henry Robs the Bank, I went on to read the four full coloured books I had borrowed from the library. This was the first one. The book has coloured illustrations (for the most part) and the book is bigger than Horrid Henry Robs the Bank. This book contains ten short stories about Henry, as well as some extras.

Horrid Henry's New Teacher

This is a story about Horrid Henry getting a new teacher. It was a funny story, I quite liked it.

Horrid Henry's Poem

This is the poem from Horrid Henry's New Teacher. I liked it a lot, it was very nicely done.

Horrid Henry's Nits

This is a story about Henry having nits. It was nice but Henry was a bit mean. It wasn't as funny as some of the other stories in this book, but I did enjoy reading it.

Horrid Henry's School Trip

This is a story about Henry going on a school trip. It was pretty funny (though Henry was horrid!) and it was entertaining to read.

Horrid Henry's Sports Day

This is a story about Henry and sports day. I enjoyed reading it, it was funny.

Horrid Henry's Homework

This is a story about Henry who has to do homework on spelling some words correctly. The story was nice and somewhat funny, but I didn't like it as much as some of the other stories in this book, because I had trouble identifying with Henry in this story. I've never had much problems with spelling and while I can understand not wanting to do homework, five words didn't seem like a lot though I don't know how old Henry is meant to be or anything.

Horrid Henry's Swimming Lesson

This is a story about Henry having a swimming lesson. I liked it, it was enjoyable. I have read something similar before though, in another book. I don't know who came up with the idea first, or if it's an idea that's used in quite a few books or other media.

Horrid Henry and the Demon Dinner Lady

This was a nice story about Henry and his packed lunch and a dinner lady who nicks the children's sweets. It was nice, though slightly predictable.

Horrid Henry Reads a Book

This was a nice bookish themed story about a reading competition at Henry's school. I liked it even if Henry doesn't like reading as much as I do :P.

Horrid Henry's School Project

Henry has to work on a school project in a group of four children. I thought the story was nice and funny, though it's not the best story in this book in my opinion (Henry was a bit horrid :P).

Horrid Henry's Underpants

This was a pretty entertaining story about Henry and a pair of underpants. I liked it a lot, it was funny.

Horrid Henry's School Fact File

This was a summary of things that happened in the stories of this book, in a nice format. For example, it is written 'Worst Day of School' and then below Henry has answered what was worst (something that happened in one of the stories).

I enjoyed reading this book. Most of the stories were pretty entertaining and the illustrations were very nice to look at.

Overall Rating: (*****) (9/10)

Francesca Simon - Horrid Henry's Picture Books 2: Horrid Henry's Wicked Ways

9781842555248.JPG

Pages: 192

Date read: 03-06-2015

ISBN: 9781842555248

Synopsis (me): A collection of ten Horrid Henry short stories, with full colour illustrations and some extras.

My thoughts:

After reading Horrid Henry Robs the Bank and Horrid Henry's Big Bad Book, I went on to read this one. Like book 1 in this series (Horrid Henry's Big Bad Book), this book contains ten short stories and some extras, and coloured illustrations (for the most part).

Horrid Henry and the Comfy Black Chair

This is a story about a comfy chair and Henry wanting to watch TV, but Peter wants to watch a different channel on TV. I enjoyed it a lot.

Horrid Henry and the Fangmangler

This is a story about Henry and a monster he makes up. I liked it, but it wasn't one of the best stories.

Horrid Henry Tricks the Tooth Fairy

This is a story about Henry tricking the tooth fairy. It was nice but I remember how awkward losing my teeth was, so I couldn't entirely relate to Henry. We don't have the tooth fairy, at least, we didn't have it when I was a child.

Horrid Henry Gets Rich Quick

This is a story about Henry wanting to make money, so he decides to sell some things. It was funny.

Horrid Henry's Chores

This is a story about Henry who has to do his chores but he doesn't want to. It was nice but not one of the best stories.

Horrid Henry Tricks and Treats

This is a story about Henry and Halloween. It was allright, not as enjoyable as some of the other stories in this book.

Rating: (***) (6/10)

Horrid Henry and the Mummy's Curse

This is a story about Henry and Peter and a Mummy kit. I thought it was enjoyable. I particularly liked the pun in the middle of the story.

Horrid Henry's Birthday Party

This is a story about Henry and his birthday party. It was nice but not one of the best stories.

Horrid Henry's Thank You Letter

This is a story about Henry who has to write thank you letters because he received Christmas presents, ie. he has to write a letter to his aunt and to his grandma. But he didn't like most of the gifts. It was a nice story but I recently read a similar idea in another book. I don't know who had the idea first though, or whether it's something common that is older than either of the two books.

Jokes Not to Tell Aunt Ruby

These are some jokes, they were pretty funny!

Horrid Henry's Holiday

This is a story about Henry and his family going on a camping holiday (in the summer). I liked it.

Horrid Henry's Home Fact File

Similar to the fact file in the first book in this series, these few pages are a summary of what happened in the book in a nice format.

Overall I enjoyed reading this book, but not as much as I enjoyed Horrid Henry's Big Bad Book.

Overall Rating: (****) (8/10)

Francesca Simon - Horrid Henry's Picture Books 3: Horrid Henry's Evil Enemies

9781842555651.JPG

ISBN: 9781842555651

My thoughts:

After reading Horrid Henry's Big Bad Book and Horrid Henry's Wicked Ways, I went on to read book 3 in this series. Like books 1 and 2, this book contains ten short stories and some extras, and coloured illustrations (for the most part). The pages in this book feel different than the pages of the first two books, they feel more 'papery' whereas the pages of the first two books were shiny.

Horrid Henry and Moody Margaret

This is a story about Henry, Margaret and Peter playing together. It was nice but not one of the best stories.

Horrid Henry and the Secret Club

This was a story about Henry, Peter, Margaret and Susan. It was nice but not that funny.

Horrid Henry's Christmas

This was an entertaining story about Horrid Henry and Christmas presents. It was funny.

Horrid Henry's Haunted House

This story takes place after the previous one (Horrid Henry's Christmas), it references some of the events of that story. The story is about Henry who has to spend the weekend at his aunt's house, with his aunt Ruby and his cousin Steve. Steve isn't a nice character. I liked the story.

Moody Margaret Moves In

This was a nice story about Margaret spending two weeks at Henry's house because her parents go on a holiday. She really is an annoying character! I liked the story.

Horrid Henry's Raid

This is a story about the Purple Hand and the Secret Club. I'm not entirely sure what happened at the end. It was nice to read otherwise though.

Horrid Henry Goes to Work

This was a nice story where Henry gets to join his dad on a work day (at his office). It was nice to read, I quite liked this story.

Horrid Henry's Stink Bomb

This story takes place after Horrid Henry's Raid, as events from that story are referred to. It's about Henry, Margaret, Peter and Susan. It was enjoyable, I liked reading it.

Moody Margaret Casts a Spell

I could guess most of the plot twists of this story, but it was an enjoyable read. The story is about the children and hypnosis.

Horrid Henry and the Bogey Babysitter

This was a nice story about Henry and a babysitter. I thought it was an entertaining read.

Evil Enemies Fact File

This is a summary of events from the book, formatted through looking at Henry's enemies and their best and worst features and their worst crime.

This book was nice to read. I liked Horrid Henry's Big Bad Book more, but I enjoyed this one as much as Horrid Henry's Wicked Ways.

Francesca Simon - Horrid Henry's Picture Books 4: Horrid Henry Rules the World

20108938.jpg

ISBN: 9781842555675

My thoughts:

After reading the first three books in the series, I went on to read book 4 (all library loans). Like books 1-3, this book contains ten short stories and some extras, and coloured illustrations (for the most part). The pages in this book feel the same as the pages in book 3, but different than the pages in books 1 and 2.

Horrid Henry's Injection

This is a story about Henry who has to get an injection. I liked it a lot, it was funny.

Horrid Henry's School Fair

This was an enjoyable story about Henry and a school fair. He has to donate some old toys but doesn't want to. I liked it.

Horrid Henry's Dance Class

This was a story about Henry who has dance class. I thought it was entertaining but Henry can definitely be horrid!

Horrid Henry's Computer

This is an enjoyable story about the family having a new computer. I liked it a lot, it was very enjoyable to read and it was funny.

Horrid Henry Meets the Queen

This is a story about the Queen visiting Henry's school. I liked the story, and the ending was pretty good.

Perfect Peter's Revenge

In this story Peter wants to get his revenge on Henry. It was an enjoyable read.

Horrid Henry and the Football Fiend

This was a story about a football match. It was allright, nice to read but I didn't like it as much as some of the other stories in this book. The ending was quite unexpected though.

Horrid Henry's Sick Day

In this story Henry pretends to be sick so he doesn't have to go to school. It was nice but not that funny.

Horrid Henry Peeks at Peter's Diary

Peter is writing in his diary and Henry wants to know what he has written. This was a funny story.

Horrid Henry's Christmas Play

This is a story about Henry's school doing a Christmas play. It was enjoyable to read.

King Henry the Horrible's Fact File

These are a few pages on King Henry and his kingdom. It was entertaining to read.

I enjoyed reading this book. I liked some stories more than others but overall I enjoyed reading the book. I liked the first book in this series the best, but the other three were enjoyable as well.

I've read a lot of books so far this year. The thing is, I'm very happy about this 'milestone', but because a lot of my reads were short children's books with illustrations and a big font, I've read more books than most other people on the forum. I don't want to sound like a snob by rambling on about my milestone :blush2:. I'm worried if I talk about it too much, that some people (ie. maybe someone in my family or someone from here) think I do nothing else except reading all day long, which isn't true. Admittedly I do spend quite a bit of time reading, but I also do quite a few other things. It's just that I've been a bit tired the past year and a half, and reading these short reads is much easier for me than going out, socialising, watching tv, playing video games, taking care of pets, or any other things people might do in their spare time. Of course, at the times where I'm very tired, I can't even read and then I just lie in bed. So I'll not mention my milestone more than this post at the risk of un-snobbyness. Does it bother anyone that I read a lot and post a lot of reviews?

You won't sound like a snob at all, Athena.  :friends3: We all have different lives and different circumstances, and we all read different types of books. I think everyone understands that. So of course you should tell us about your milestone (I think I already know what it is, because I was checking the first page of your blog just a few hours ago to see how many books you had read so far this year :D). Please don't feel as though you have to make excuses for how much you read. We're all here because we like to be around others who share our love of reading!

You just keep doing what you've been doing. :friends3: You can post as many reviews as you want because this is a log of YOUR reading experiences. :)

It's fine. You can read the books you want or feel more disposed to, when you want to. You can stop reading them in the middle, you can read the same one multiple times. Reading books is actually a stimulating activity, and I see no shame in it nor in writing about them.

Please don't stop listing and reviewing!  I love reading about the different types of books everyone here reads.  Everyone has their own reading niche and should enjoy it fully, not worrying about anything.  We are all book nerds here, and you should just enjoy yourself, and report.  :friends3:

I know I don't post on everyone's threads, and sometimes I don't get to read them, it's just beyond me sometimes.  But I love knowing that they are all here, just mucking along and being there.  Sort of a comfort zone. :cool:

Please don't stop listing and reviewing!  I love reading about the different types of books everyone here reads.  Everyone has their own reading niche and should enjoy it fully, not worrying about anything.  We are all book nerds here, and you should just enjoy yourself, and report.  :friends3:

I know I don't post on everyone's threads, and sometimes I don't get to read them, it's just beyond me sometimes.  But I love knowing that they are all here, just mucking along and being there.  Sort of a comfort zone. :cool:

A bit ditto from me.  :empathy: